Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Family Support

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Family Support

By Edman on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 9:41 am:

Is there a group, club, or organization (public or private) that has helped your family cope when you moved to Japan or after you'd been living here for a while?

By tokyokat on Tuesday, November 2, 1999 - 1:03 pm:

Homeschooling in Japan -
network of homeschooling and afterschooling families in Japan. Whether you homeschool full time or supplement your children's education after school, network with other families and share resources.
Organized outings around Tokyo once a month.
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ja8i-brtl/index.htm

By Cornelia on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 3:19 pm:

In October 1999 I received another handout from my daughter's daycare, which, like all the others, I can't read. But fortunately I showed it to someone who could. Here is a picture I've taken of the sticker written about in this particular handout. I've seen the sticker on some shop windows, and even on some private entrance doors.

This is a sign for children in trouble. If children feel danger, they can go into the place where this sticker is displayed and call for help. I believe that all 23 wards in Tokyo are participating in this. I wonder if other areas of Japan are conducting similar programs?

A rough translation of some of the text printed on the information handout:
There are many dangerous situations for children these days. To address this problem a sticker (20cm in diameter) has been designed to designate emergency escape places where they can get help. Children should be taught about this sticker, how to recognize the sticker and to shout loudly for help when they feel danger to get the grown-ups attention.

(signed by) Sugamo, Honkomagome, Tomisaka, Otsuka, & Homfuji Police Stations, Bunkyo-ku Kindergarten, Primary, and Jr. High PTA, etc.

Bunkyo-ku City Hall: Women's and Children's Section 03-5803-1186

emergency.jpg

P.S. I have a sad image of children running around looking for a door with a sticker on it, and being nabbed by the danger they are running from, because they don't feel free to bang on just any door, even one without a sticker.

By Scott Hancock on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 6:13 pm:

In the case of the sticker being on private entrances, what is to prevent unscrupulous people from obtaining the sticker? Or a likeness?

Seems well intentioned, but somehow not quite the answer.
How about those guys coming out of their kobans and really walking around?

By lseacord on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 7:28 pm:

The sticker system is used in Soka City, Saitama as well. It is a yellow happy face with the words (in hiragana) "kodomo hinanjou" children's refuge. Each year a map with a location of every home and store that has volunteered to be a children's refuge is distributed to everyone in the neighborhood. I have told my 7 year old not to hesitate to run to a smiley face sticker house if he feels scared at all, and also that stores are a safe place to go to ask for help.
Laurel Seacord

By gerry morita on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 7:31 pm:

Regarding the Kid Safety sticker in windows:
I remember there being a similar thing in Canada when I was a kid, called Block Parents. It was the same idea where a house would have a sticker or small sign and a kid could go there in trouble. Most participants were school moms who were around during the day.

By Melissa on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 10:26 am:

We still have "Block Parents" here in Canada. I am now very curious what screening they must go through! I will find out. I too wonder about the logic of having a sticker that may in fact draw children to a potential danger.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: