Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Musicians and playing music

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Musicians and playing music
By Joe on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 2:11 am:

I am looking for someone who has some pool cleaning supplies, namely muriatic acid, which is used for... cleaning pools and, in my case, a dilute solution is used to clean brass instruments and my french horn is due for a cleaning. I don't know what else it is used for and I have no idea how to ask for it in Japanese so I thought that I would start here. I only need about 300 ml. There was a person in Sapporo (when I was living there) who did a great job, but down here, I'm only playing with the school orchestra and don't know any professional musicians.

By Cornelia on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 6:04 am:

"ensan" in Japanese is muriatic acid = hydrogen chloride

Muriatic acid is the "the old name for Hydrochloric Acid". I've also seen it spelled hydrocloric acid.

I think that in the USA you can get it in a hardware store and definitely in masonry supply and swimming pool supply stores, so maybe a hardware store in Japan? Tokyu Hands probably also has it though I couldn't say on which floor!

A 5-7% solution is used to clean refrigerator condensers. In general, the average person uses is it for cleaning certain things such as the white, chalky stains on brick work caused by salts being carried to the surface by moisture, which are harmless but maybe esthetically displeasing, or hardwater deposits on glassware. It can also be used to neutralize alkaline battery spills. Commercially it is used in the production of other chemicals, etc.

Oh, and if you spill it where you didn't want it: dilute with lots of water and/or neutralize with a base. Baking soda is often readily available for this purpose. IF it isn't washed out of your clothes/carpet, etc. immediately it will eat a hole!

By Joe on Thursday, March 1, 2001 - 5:24 pm:

This came in through direct email but may be useful to someone out there:

>You can buy it in pharmacy.
>It had better to bring your identituy card (Menkyosho),
>if you want pur Muriatic Acid.

By sayaka on Saturday, March 3, 2001 - 9:30 am:

Amature Brass or Jazz players

I'm playing flute in a very amature Jazz band. I was paying flute in shool band a long long time ago, but I never thought of myself enjoying music this way then.

Is any of you play winds? Or do you have your instaraments in your closet?

By Karyn Robson on Saturday, April 5, 2003 - 2:30 pm:

I am interested in finding someone who teachs Bassoon. Please let me know if you have any leads.
Thanks
Karyn

By Julie Hansberry on Tuesday, September 6, 2005 - 12:57 pm:

Anyone out there have a clarinet they would like to sell, or know of a place that sells used instruments? If so, please contact me asap. Thanks!

By Cornelia on Tuesday, September 6, 2005 - 1:56 pm:

The quickest way to find 2nd hand instruments in good condition is to go to Ochanomizu station (Tokyo) and walk down the hill towards Jimbocho from the Koban end. For example, if you got there by JR, then you would exit at the direction Shinjuku end, turn left and proceed down hill (opposite direction from the bridge). The music shops start on the left, and just ask for the clarinets section. They may not be at street level. There are many instrument shops, so keep looking. This is also where you can get 2nd hand violins, guitars, etc. Less popular instruments are harder to find.

The next way to find 2nd hand instruments is on yahoo auctions Japan. Also in recycle shops, Salvation army, etc. This way you might pay a lower price, but you may need to do some repairs, and you may not find what you want quickly enough. Also just asking all your friends sometimes turns up an instrument. I am currently borrowing my pediatrician's daughter's cello because she didn't take it with her to Yamanashi Prefecture, and it was just sitting around taking up space.

By the way, has anyone a small size guitar for a 9 year old that they have grown out of? Willing to pay a reasonable amount. 03-3576-6244

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: