Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Entertainment - A Night Off!

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Entertainment - A Night Off!

By Sandy Cox on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 6:16 pm:

Lonestar Cafe in Takadanababa has live country/country rock music on the 4th Thursday of every month. The band is called "On The Border" (all Japanese) and will be playing tonight, 28 Feb starting at 7:30p.m.
tel: 03-3207-5369

There's a nice dance floor if you want to do some country line dancing!

Lonestar Cafe's website (in Japanese):
http://www02.so-net.ne.jp/~jt-ka
map to Lone Star Cafe

By Jenny on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 4:18 am:

The esteemed Joe Lee Wilson, jazz and blues vocalist, is performing on 1 May at the Jazz Live Spot B flat in Akasaka, Tokyo. Singing with the Mike Price Jazz Quintet, sets start at 19:30 and 21:15.
Entrance is Y3500 or Y4000 depending on the set.

email: b-flat.jazz@ezweb.ne.jp
Tel: 03-5563-2563

This gentleman is the husband of one of our very own international school teachers! Why not take a night off and go listen to some great jazz and blues!

By Shane Meiklejohn on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 7:23 am:

Live Improv, Stand Up Comedy, Sketch Comedy
8pm-10pm Thursdays - Dec 11; Jan 15; Feb 12; Mar 4; April 22; May 20; June 3
See Yokohama's crazy Improv Team - Improhama - in action. Live Improv, Stand Up Comedy, Sketch Comedy.
Nov - Stand up with Tim Evans
Dec - Stand up with Bill Spearman and Tim Evans
ONLY 1,000 yen with 1 drink.
Bar Why Not? Motomatchi, Naka-Ku, Yokohama. (Near clothing store GAP)
Come along and support live comedy in Yokohama!

By Cornelia on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 1:03 pm:

For those living near Korakuen / Suidobashi / Tokyo Dome and not that thrilled with the Baseball Cafe... we found a nice little place for beer connoisseurs:

Tails Ale House, Imported Beer & Grill, Est 1998
owner: Mr. Michimasa Omata, 03-5684-8008 (phone & fax)
1-3-9 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033 on Hakusan-dori across from LaQua.
http://tah.mbst.co.jp/
master@tah.mbst.co.jp

but web site does not appear to be working, a really AMAZING selection of obscure beers and a pleasant atmosphere for drinkng and talking, very friendly staff. Over 100 beers in stock.

By Cornelia on Monday, April 4, 2005 - 11:33 am:

For those of you who liked the 5,6,7,8s band in KILL BILL, here is their web site: http://www.the5678s.net/
also http://www.fujiiya.com/the5678s/

They have a gig in Shinjuku at the end of April. We heard them Saturday at a place in Shimokitazawa, and they have a good show. picture from Saturday night

By Karyn Robson on Sunday, May 1, 2005 - 7:05 am:

A Night of Music

Primal Gravity consists of six professional musicians and photographer Takeshi Ijima. Primal Gravity blends the sounds of classical western instruments: violin, cello, guitar, bass and piano with ancient oriental instruments and playing techniques to create an eternal world view of music. The visual and auditory elements are of equal importance to Primal Gravity. “Visual images of Japanese holy sites are synchronized with flowing music to fuse together in your mind the visual and audio beauty of peace and universal connectionsE

May 12th, 7:30-9:00 at the Akasaka Civic Center
4-18-13 Akasaka
Tickets are on sale now!
For more information email: a_night_of_music@yahoo.com

By Johanna Bailey on Wednesday, September 7, 2005 - 3:03 pm:

Leave the kids with dad or a sitter and come out for a night of fun, relaxation, food, drink and conversation with other Tokyo Mothers! We'll be meeting between 6:30 and 9:30pm at the Pink Cow on the third Wednesday of each month. Go to http://annadilemna.typepad.com/mamas_night_out/ for more information. Hope to see you there!

By Janine Parker on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 3:01 pm:

Hi,

I was wondering if the Mums meeting at the Pink Cow was still happening. I need to go out as much as possible before we try for another one!

Thanks

By Admin on Friday, November 4, 2005 - 2:46 pm:

Message mistakenly sent to Site administrator instead of posted here:
>>>>>
Date: 15 Oct 2005
Subject: General Discussions: Entertainment - A Night Off!
To: admin[at] tokyowithkids.com
Hi,
I'm not doing the mom's night out at the Pink Cow
anymore for now (got too overwhelmed with other stuff)
but if anyone's interested in organizing something,
just let me know and I'll put you in contact with the
Pink Cow people plus all the people that attended the
last one (it was great fun!).
Johanna <<<<<

By Cornelia on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 9:16 am:

An Afternoon Off !

TOKYO: Book Swap! (and other small items OK such as CDs, computer games, etc.): Yes, another one, because the last one was a success (we, the participants think...)
There will be a book swap on 3 June from 13:00 - 15:30.

The venue will be my home at just 80 meters from Takinogawa 1-chome station on the Toden Arakawa tram line. If the weather is good, a nice combination for the day might be to go to Asukayama Park before or after the swap.

There will be a Y200 charge to cover the cost of coffee, tea and wine. Come early or come late, there should be plenty of books! There are books left over from the swap on 3 May including of course Dan Brown (Da Vinci Code), but also many others. Asukayama park is a 6 minute walk from here, and has a really superb playground. Send the kids there with Dad while you come for swapping books and chatting. See this link for details: www.tokyowithkids.com/entertainment/municipalparks/asukayamapark.html
Station options:
Oji station (10 minute walk)
Nishigahara station (10 minute walk)
Nishisugamo station (8 minute walk)
Takinogawa 1-chome station (1 minute)
Please email me for a map image and instructions.

By Katherin Higgins on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 6:05 pm:

Having been one of the partcipants to the last book swap meeting. It was a lot of fun...and I added some great books to my reading list!!

It was great to spend the morning with husband and son at the park, have lunch with them and then send them off home. I got to indulge in peaceful book swapping (though there was competition for a title or two ;) and general conversation (as well as coffee and sake!). As a treat I even picked up my husband some books (which he appreicated.)

Looking forward to the next one on June 3rd, as when I got home and started clearing things for my in-laws to visit I found a whole cupboard full of books!

By Natasha on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 10:31 am:

Tsukuba City, Ibaraki - Salsa Dancers or wannabes
Next Salsa party: Friday, June 23! (every 2nd and 3rd Friday of each month) Free lessons until 22:00
Latino's Bar
Amakubo-cho 1-15-155 1F 103
Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki-ken
Tel: 029-852-0061
http://tsukuba.wikicities.com/wiki/Latino%27s_Bar
email: jp_latinos_bar[at]yahoo.es

By Tara on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:59 pm:

Nepali Cooking Class
Learn to make delicious, healthy, and unique dishes while making new friends and supporting a good cause

*Proceeds to support Yume, Yuuki & You, an NGO that builds elementary schools in poor villages in Nepal*

Date & Time: Sat, Feb 23. 2008, 6:30 to 9:00p.m.
Place: Kiyose Shimin Center, 5-minute walk north from Kiyose Station (Seibu Ikebukuro line), near SEIYU.
Fee: 1200 yen (Non-Japanese and students: 600 yen)
Please bring your apron and hand towel
Menu: Vegetable Curry, Nymuki (fried snack), Milk tea

*Kiyose station is 25 minutes outside of Ikebukuro on the Seibu Ikebukuro line.

*Most people coming are Japanese, so Japanese will be the main language, but the teacher is fluent in English, and most people attending speak both English & Japanese.

*Children very welcome.

*If possible, please respond in advance (same day OK; one day in advance preferred) to: Nepal.Sanka *at* gmail.com
This will help us prepare enough ingredients. But, walk-ins are also okay.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: