Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Utilities

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Utilities
By Sandy Cox on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 7:04 pm:

Tokyo Electric (TEPCO) news on pamphlet that came in my letterbox. (As close as I can translate).
On 1 April 2002, a 5.1% price reduction for everyone commences.

Changes in TEPCO (Tokyo Electric) prices over the years, based on the example of a monthly bill of Y7088 in 1998:
10 Feb 10 (1998) Y7088/month -- 12 Oct 1 (2000) Y6764/month -- 14 Apr 1 (2002) Y6418/month
This comes to a savings of about 4200 yen per year in the above example.

Additional possible price reductions:
*If you are using a 200V electric cooking top depending on the type you may be eligible for a special discount. Call with the model number and the type of cooking top. If you qualify, you need to register your appliance (only in kitchen use, if you use it only for certain meals on the table top like for shabu shabu, it does not qualify.) Somebody will visit your house to check that you qualify. If you qualify, then the discount will start 1 June 2002. The maximum discount is Y500 per month, depending on electricity consumption per month. For this program call 0120-25-0061 and ask for someone who can speak English.

*If you are only a night user of your apartment and you have an electric hot water heater or/and electric cooking top, you may have an advantage with the "sleeping time" program. An advisor can tell you whether or not you might want to take advantage of this program. You will get 5.5 percent deduction for 8 hours during the night, but your daytime electricity bill is not reduced. So it might be better to just stick with the 5.1% reduction offered to all conventional household accounts. For this program call the phone number at the bottom middle of your monthly statement and ask for someone who can speak English.

I use a gas range and am home most of the mornings so none of this applies to me, but I hope it will help someone out there!

By Pato on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 11:07 am:

There are big changes coming up with Tokyo Electric rates. Even now, I feel that I'm paying a lot! For those who want to try to figure out ways to beat back the bear, TEPCO has some good information in English on their web site to help us understand how we might be able to save money:
http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/customer/guide/ratecalc-e.html

By Pato on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 11:14 am:

P.S. The Tokyo Gas site has some English but it's not at all detailed about the rates (usually multiple tier pricing systems with utilities), and not very useful.
http://www.tokyo-gas.co.jp/utility/sitemap_e.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: