Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Composting

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Composting
By Karyn Robson on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 5:25 pm:

Hello!

I have a bit of a strange request. I would like to do some composting. I am interested in worms. Does anyone know if it is possible to get composting worms in the Tokyo area? I can order worms, but I don't think that they are something you can ship to Japan. If yo have any information or suggestions, please post or email me at kar3212@yahoo.com

Thanks
Karyn

By Cornelia on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 10:21 am:

Dear Karyn,
There is a display on composting at my ward office (Bunkyo-ku). Also every Fall there is a festival with "recycling" as the theme in front of the Bunkyo-ward Sports Center. They sell specially designed buckets for composting and so on. So I'm sure there is info about worms out there somewhere IF you have someone to help do research in Japanese. Maybe I can try to find something out at my ward office.

By Sandy on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 1:53 pm:

Here's a web site that sells a composting bin called the Can o Worms in Japan: http://www.topsoiljapan.com/modules/content/?id=2 (in English)
It uses Redworms, which do not burrow deep to find moisture, so you have to keep the contents of the can moist. More at:
http://www.abundantearth.com/store/canoworms.html

I actually have earthworms in my tiny little patch of dirt. They are plentiful, and the handle tree debris as well as soft kitchen organics. And I've been using vinyl bags to compost. So there is a cheaper solution than buying a fancy plastic bin. But it does look nifty! I add soapy dishwashing water to my composting piles. It penetrates better instead of running off to the sides.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: