Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Television, public and private

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Television, public and private

By heather on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 5:36 am:

We are moving to Tokyo in August and would like to know what to expect in terms of television. What American (or English) programming, if any, is available. Just how many Barney videos should I bring! (smile) And... will I have to adjust to life without mindless sitcoms after the kids go to bed?!? :)

By heather on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 10:54 am:

We are moving to Tokyo in August and would like to know what to expect in terms of television. What American (or English) programming, if any, is available. Just how many Barney videos should I bring! (smile) And... will I have to adjust to life without mindless sitcoms after the kids go to bed?!? :)

By Tomomi Apps on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 9:48 pm:

We have just connected to 'Sky Perfect TV', which is the satelite channel.

If you could read Japanese(?), then you could get more information from http://www.skyperfectv.co.jp.

To connect this service, you will need;

1. Purchase a satelite dish (small one) and digital tuner pack from any big electronics store (we bought from Big Camera for 18500 yen = approx U$150), they can also arrange installation from 10000 yen (U$80) - to install on your apartment balcony or house, you may need permission from owner or body corporate etc. Also it is better to face South.

2. Then you can choose any package from Sky PerfecTV as little as 200 yen per month per channel or you could get package like English news channels (CNN, CNBC, BBC, Bloomburg etc) for 990 yen per months. English movie channels can be purchased for 1800 yen per months etc. Or you could choose any other packages, which are mainly Japanese programme.

One off fee of 2800 yen when you join, then basic monthly charge of 390 yen plus any channel you wish to buy...... It is quite cheap.

You could also get cable TV if you have access in your apartment or house.

Also you could get kids channel like Nickelodeon, cartoon network etc.

By Trupti Gandhi on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 8:24 pm:

help!
need some understandable english programmes to watch on TV... our apt. is placed sucha that i can not use a dish for BS or sky perfect... we do have 24 hrs internet connection and have tried watching indian TV but not much fun as BBC or national geographic or disney for that matter!

how do i receive these channels and keep watching as much as we like... i do not like pay per view internet sites... are there any suggestions?? we are really bored watching just bilingual and that too rationed!! we have the BS channels provided by our mention but we have an intenational model LCD TV and it does not catch those channels!! :(
trupti.

By Scott Hancock on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 9:47 pm:

Trupti- I have to first ask the obvious and confirm that you can't get cable, either? Scott

By Trupti Gandhi on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 3:04 pm:

thank you so much scott for asking... i might sound a bit stupid here but what are cable channels in tokyo??

we have been watching NHK-G and -E, NTV, TBS, FUJI, TV ASAHI, TV TOKYO, and TVK... is any of these cable channel? and i am sure even you will agree with me that they have no good choice of programmes or movies!! :(
pl. help, trupti:)

By Scott Hancock on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 3:42 pm:

No, those are regular broadcast channels. Are you in an apartment building? Can you ask your neighbors if they get cable TV? Usually with an apartment building, the cable has to be available for everyone.

If you can' get that information, check with your kuyakusho about what cable company is in your area.

Scott

By Cornelia on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 3:46 pm:

Dear Trupti, Cable television is hardcabled to your house and offers a package deal of "x" number of channels. The publicly available chnnnels are usually all part of the package and then there are a variety of private cable channels. This type of service is what the big city hotels equip each hotel room with. Usually you can get different packages depending on your needs. The monthly fee is fixed for your type of package. Sometimes a pay per view channel is included but you are under no obligation to use it. (And hide the remote when you are not home from the little ones.)

Typically a cable company operates in certain sections of a city and competitors get other sections. The contract is awarded by the local government. Here in Tokyo, the cable television companies also offer cable internet as part of a package. You can sign up for TV or Internet or both! Hard cable is a good alternative when antenna or disk reception is bad.

You can find out who the cable provider is for your part of town probably by asking at the ward office or even a few of your neighbors. You can get their sales brochure and go from there.

By Trupti Gandhi on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 4:14 pm:

cornellia and scott,

thank you so much for the replies... i will definately do what you suggested... do you have any idea as to what kind of channels are these?? i am really really looking for some english channels...

thank you both again for you time and replies!! :)

By Scott Hancock on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 4:42 pm:

I'm pretty sure all the major cable networks have the same, plentiful English channels.

Well, plentiful compared to none. Few compared to being in English speaking country, maybe.

Have you seen http://www.onlinetvplayer.com/
?
Maybe something from your home country?

By Trupti Gandhi on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 5:45 pm:

wow scott!!

this link really rocks!!

i could see various channels small size...

so what happens if you pay them and get the paid version of the s/w?? does it become full screen??

i already checked with my neighbour and there is some bay cable network or some such thing offering cable tv in koto-ku... she has already requested details for me!!

thank you again... i just do hope they have something good lined up!! i will surely be overjoyed if they have disney... which my kids adore...

i am right now watching BBC news!! :)

thanx a ton!!

By Scott Hancock on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 2:05 am:

The onlinetvplayer you downloaded will stop working after 15 days if you don't pay.

If your neighbor has cable, you should be in good shape and be able to get it yourself.

Stock up on popcorn now.

By Trupti Gandhi on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 8:07 pm:

thank you so much again scott!!

i think i still do njot have to stock up on pop corn!! :(

my neighbour just remembered that they had talked to the tokyu community while hiring their apt... and they had mentioned that this bldg is old and does not permit the cable to pass internally thru the walls.... and hence cable tv is not possible!!! :(

so i am still looking for options!!!

trupti.

By Linda Gondo on Saturday, April 9, 2005 - 7:30 pm:

We have just discovered this is online. Probably old news, anyway...
{http://www.cartalk.com/Radio/Show/online.html,

By Nancy on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 10:21 pm:

Would there be any point in advertising a Wowow BS CH 5 decoder (analog) for sale? Or does everyone now have digital equipment? It's less than a year old. Dish and tuner may also be available. The following link explains the connection.(http://www.wowow.co.jp/info/subscription/eannai_index.html

By Trupti Gandhi on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 12:24 pm:

I am still stuck with the Japanese TV without any support from Tokyu Community - my apt owners.

WE have hired our apt from Tokyu Community... and i've been talking to them to let me get an NTT hikari fiber so that we can subscribe to plala.jp and watch TV over internet... same is the case with Hikari Perfect Tv... you need a hikari fiber from them... if you are using any other service provider then you can not Subscribe to hikari perfect TV services...

how very ridiculous all this sounds...!!! you have hikari fiber that's all you technically need for watching any internet TV... then why do they insist on having their own specific company (brand) hikari fiber services??

and then there is my owners who would not budge from their palce saying all they can provide is the BS and nothing more... they have USEN hikari fiber which has it's own TV site gyao.jp but this too does not have any english programs...

today i even said i would talk to someone senior if the branch office of tokyu community does not fulfill my request...

it is now looking like a dead end in my TV program search... any ideas what could i do??

Trupti.

By Caroline on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 3:40 pm:

Torino Olympics Coverage: Can anyone give a site where I can view the scheduled broadcasting on Japanese TV of all Figure Skating events?

By Caroline on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 6:12 pm:

Got it! http://tv.yahoo.co.jp/special/torino/

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: