Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Modeling for Kids

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Modeling for Kids
By Megumi Yamamoto on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 12:32 pm:

We are looking for two kids(boy and girl) who can be model for catalogue.
The photos will be only used for promotion or advertisement of the Japanese Camera companies or lens maker like Canon.
Brother and sister are much better.(between 5 to 10 years old.)

Estudio Gu Megumi

By Dennis Mobley on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 6:16 pm:

Does anyone out there have any information/experiences they would like to share about having their children model in Tokyo? Do most people use one agency or several? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

By Nathalie on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 1:22 pm:

My son has been modelling for a while. He was registred with 2 agencies, Sugar & Spice and Junes, but only Junes now, as I think it's simpler with only 1 agent, and they usually have the same jobs anyway. I think only foreigners can use several agencies, and the registration process is much easier than for Japanese. You can contact me if you have further questions.

By RM on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 6:45 pm:

Hi Nathalie,

What kind of modelling does your son do? What do the agencies need in terms of registration? Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

By Stephanie Martin on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 8:09 pm:

My daughter is 26mths and been doing it since she was 7 mths. I have her registerd with quite a few agencies.

Combi-mini and other Combi jobs she gets called by two or three agencies and I just go with the one that calls first, but quite often I have auditions for her which are only done through one agency as some companies only use one agency all the time.

Sugar and Spice charge a registration fee, 1,000 yen I think, but the rest of them dont. If you dont have any photos then they take them for you and they also want to measure the child and keep up to date with pictures and measurements.

Here are some numbers if you want to get in touch with them.

Sugar and Spice: 03-3280-5481

Junes: 03-5469-5331

e-promotions: 03-3784-9851

IMO: 03-3405-0425

R & A Promotions: 03-5771-6101

Spacecraft Junior (Japanese Only): 03-3796-2718

Workshop: 03-5778-4790

Zenith: 03-5411-7747

I am sure that is more than enough to get anyone started.

Good luck, might see you at an audition!!!

Steph.

By Nathalie on Monday, June 2, 2003 - 3:07 pm:

I think Stephanie already gave a lot of info. So far, my son only did catalogs and a flyer, but went to auditions for other kinds of jobs like a picture on a package, a video... The agencies have all kinds of jobs.
The registration is very simple for foreigners, just fill a form, have a few pictures taken and pay a small registration fee. If you want to read more about kids modeling, there's something on the subject in a Metropolis article :
http://metropolis.japantoday.com/tokyo/462/feature.asp
You can also see Junes website at :
http://www.junes.co.jp/

By Paula on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 10:52 am:

I joined up with Suger & Spice after reading these posts and have found its a great way for my 5yr old son to interact with other English speaking kids (none where we are) and I have also made new friends and gone places I wouldn't have been able too. My advice, its great fun and your transportation costs are paid so if your kid likes the idea of dress up go for it.

By Marianna Harada on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 12:05 am:

We are looking urgently for a foreign (caucasian-type) 4-8
years old girl, for a Video (shoot on this mondey), that is played as a background
image of a karaoke song.
Please contact me per e-mail at:
haradaip@haradaip.com
where i can let you know all details (shooting time, garantie).
Thank you very much,
Marianna Harada
HARADA IP

By Lehua Alvarez on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 2:08 pm:

Aloha All I was wondering if the drive to toyko ios worth takeing my 4 year old son to sugar and spice they have contacted me and would like m y son to join. Is it a good company and do they pay good money. Do they have many jobs? Please let me know.

By Chris on Tuesday, August 2, 2005 - 11:51 am:

Recent experience with child modeling? Please give me your advice. I am hesitant but intrigued. Thanks in advance!
chris

By Amanda Jones on Tuesday, August 2, 2005 - 8:37 pm:

Chris,
My advice would be to register with at least one of the agencies listed above and give it a shot. I registered my two year old and infant and so far we have gone on a couple of auditions. I have found the auditions to be stress-free and actually fun for my kids. I figured I would try it and if my kids didn't like it we just wouldn't do it again. I have noticed a few moms who took the process very seriously and their kids didn't look that happy. I think as long as you make it a game and don't get upset if they don't get the part then all you have lost is a little bit of your time and some train fare. But if they do like it and they get a part then you will have a fun memento and some extra money.

Best of luck!

Amanda

By rochelle okada on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:48 pm:

hi megumi i have read your post..howeover my 2 children which is a girl(10 y/o) and a boy(5 y/o) are only half japanese.If it is alright with you and you might be interested..kindly tell me where to send their photos.

thank you

By Master1712 on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:55 pm:

what sort of money do the kids earn? i have a boy (4) and daughter(6) who are very photogenic even if i say so myself

By Drdo1 on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:33 pm:

We don't have a boy-girl or brother-sister, but we do have a fun-loving, photogenic 5 years old girl, who likes being in front of the camera! We too might be interested, if you still are. Thank you, kindly.

By Tesselator on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 1:37 am:

We did that thinking it might be fun and get enough payment to have a nice dinner after or start an account for the kids.

Guess what?!! We found out both 1st hand and through ALL the other mothers there that there is just about NEVER any payment given for these shows or photo sessions. There are a few catalogues you can get in that /sometimes/ do pay but for stuff like this you can EXPECT to be lead along without any real answers and then when it's over you'll find it was all volunteer - you don't even get to keep a shirt or anything.

BTW, the "sometimes" above looks like maybe 5 jobs a year where one of them will pay. And it's between $50 and $100 or Y5,000 ~ Y10,000 in yen.

So bottom line: If you want to see your kid in a show, take some pictures (yourself) and talk to some other moms as a social event but aren't expecting anything other than that then the shows are OK for that. The photo sessions are a complete waste of your time and you'll spend more time and money than you'll make. On the other hand if the photo-agency is a friend of yours and you don't mind to volunteering to help out - then that's your choice.

By Natalie on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 8:16 am:

We took our 2 boys for modeling a few years back when they were 9 & 10. They had a great experience and they made a lot of pocket money. They didn't do catalog modeling but TV shows and commercials like Bridgestone golf and Intel microship. The CMs pay the most money.
The difficult jobs to get were the ones requiring an audition (which they don't pay for) and these are photo shoots, voice recordings & catalog.
The easy to get ones were for TV b/c the agency sends photos/CVs to the companies.. The boys were on NHK documentaries, and shows like Eijin no Kodomo,Tohoho Jimbutsuden,Sekai Gyoten News & Unbelievable.
Some agencies pay better than others. Some work mostly with very young children, others with US military families, some require Japanese ability bu most have a translator.
The hours can be long--traveling to a place outside Tokyo or waiting for things to be organized. My boys loved the experience and would like to do more but my husband and I don't have the time in our work schedules. Many jobs if not most were done during the school week. We were called 2-3 times a week and we refused most b/c we were free only weekends unless the pay was really good.
If an agency asks for money to register, don't join them. Agencies for Japanese kids require a lot of money upfront while the agencies for foreign models don't. Take only the jobs you want and be prepared with food/drink/entertainment for you & kids. Don't let your kids go alone & stand up for your kids' rights. We refused jobs that ran late at night or were longer than 6 hours.
The pay varied from 15,000 to 30,000yen a job but CMs were 120,000yen and up for the main child.
Once you get into the 'business', you will learn which agencies get the better jobs or who style suits you. I have a list that I can send but no guarantees that it's up-to-date since we haven't used them since 2005 or so.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: