Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Rain! Where to go?

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Rain! Where to go?
By Alison on Thursday, July 1, 1999 - 4:38 pm:

Are there places to take a 2 to 3 year old on rainy days in Tokyo besides Children's Castle (along with every other child in the city!)?

By Cornelia on Friday, July 2, 1999 - 2:47 am:

Well, there is the Tokyo Metropolitan Children's House just a couple blocks away from the Children's Castle (closest station is JR Yamanote line, Shibuya station) which is free! So if it is very crowded you don't mind leaving after only 20 minutes.

Also the Shinjuku Sports Center (closest to JR Yamanote line, Takadanobaba station) has a big room with some foam climbing objects. Buy a ticket from the automat for each child (JY150?) and bring along some toys such as a ball and a set of stacking rings for your toddler. Often there are other kids there for playmates. Good for kids up to about 5 or 6 maybe. There are about 4 or 5 free parking spaces in the basement. Just show the ticket from the automat when you leave..

By Orlando Camargo on Tuesday, July 20, 1999 - 11:12 am:

Most neighborhoods have a JIDOKAN, a play area attached to the ward office, often part of the children's day care center (Hoikuen). In Shinjuku, Kita okubo, where we live i always take the kids there on rainy days or when mom needs a rest. Huge play area, many toys and lots of friends. Ask your ward office. they should have a list in English. All residents are entitled to use it. tec[at]gol.com

By Anonymous on Tuesday, August 31, 1999 - 2:19 pm:

Lalaport Mall in Chiba is a very nice mall with all sorts of shops (including Disney, Warner Bros., etc.). Inside the Sogo Department store is a Toys R Us with a medium sized "Discovery Zone" type play space one floor below, I believe. Entrance fees are high but during the week it is not so crowded. Adjacent to this space are some cute rides for the little ones and some video games for the older set. There is also one of the biggest 100 yen shops I have ever seen here, somewhere in the area of Toys R Us, you just need to ask what floor.
Lalaport also has Kous supermarket warehouse store (for those who wonder where they actually relocated to!). Lalaport is easy to get to via the Keio line, Minami Funabashi exit.

By Cornelia on Monday, March 27, 2000 - 1:44 pm:

Submitted by a Mom in Kichijoji area:
Kichijoji 0123 children's playroom, owned and operated by Musashino City
Free to residents of Musashino City,
Located close to the border with Tokyo's Nerima-ku and Suginami-ku.
"It has a play room with heated floors and toys and upstairs a place to have lunch with the kids, also a library and an art room and outside play. Usually only Japanese there, but it's brand new and I like it very much.
It is called Kichijoji 0123."

See the For Your Information Page on Tokyo's wards and cities for direct phone numbers to ward and city hall offices.
http://www.tokyowithkids.com/fyi/wardoffices.html

Facility hours
9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday to Saturday
(closed Sunday, Monday, national holidays (except Children's Day) and the end of the year/new year holiday season)

Recommended for parents and children 3 and under.
"Rooms are divided by function and include a lounge, play room a nursery, counselling rooms, book corner, conversation corner and study hall (which doubles as a lunch hall)."

Directions:
12 min. walk from Kichijoji Station, or a 2 min. walk from the Higashi-cho-1-chome bus stop on the Kichijoji Station -> Nishi Ogikubo Station Kanto Bus line.
Street address:
2-29-12 Kichijoji Higashicho
Tel: (0422)20-3210

By Cornelia on Thursday, February 5, 2004 - 6:16 am:

Sanrio Puroland (could be dubbed Hello Kitty Land)
http://www.sanrio.co.jp/PUROLAND
042-339-1111
adult passport 4,400
child passport (4and older) 3,300 yen

NOT CHEAP but entirely INDOORS!

This info is from notes I made on 9 November 2001 so details may have changed slightly since. It is way out west of Tokyo and took about an hour from my house each way. "Tama new town" or something like that. There's a url for it in English. http://www.sanrio.co.jp/english/spl/spl.html

By Bridget Kihara on Thursday, February 5, 2004 - 8:17 am:

I took my daughter and nieces there recently. More Hello Kitty stuff than I have ever seen in my life! Great if you have little girls! If you have "littlies" be warned that you can't take your stroller inside with you. There was a lot of information in Japanese style english! If your child has a birthday the month that you go to Sanrio they give you a special Birthday badge and invite the kids to go up on stage at the end of the performance.
"Tama Kyukou" trains on the Odakyu line go directly to Tama Center and takes about 35 - 40 mins. You can't miss the place when you get out of the station!

By Bethan Hutton on Thursday, February 5, 2004 - 9:47 am:

Another newish place (opened last summer) is Toys Kingdom (Omocha no Ookoku) on Hakusan-dori, under Tokyo Dome.
http://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp
Tel: 03-3817 6112.

Open 10-6 weekdays, 9.30-7pm weekends and holidays.

Closest stations: Suidobashi (JR Sobu line/Toei subway Mita Line), Kasuga (subways Toei Mita and Oedo lines) and Korakuen (subway Marunouchi and Namboku lines). The complex has underground carparks, but they get very full at weekends.

Toys Kingdom is pretty big, and has zones with different toys: trains, cars, dia-blocks (Japanese-style Lego), ride-on cars, all sorts of wooden toys and blocks, Licca-chan dolls, Sylvanian family toys, huge area with toy kitchens and food, various "educational" electronic toys, Pico children's computers, table-top games, an area with little climbing frames and slides, and so on. Plenty to keep kids up to about the age of eight amused for a few hours, and all under cover.

It's quite expensive, but we have found it good value for wet weekends: a ticket is valid for three hours, and costs Y700 for under 12s, Y1,000 for adults/children over 12; children under 3 are free. Extending the time is even more expensive (Y300/Y400 per half hour). Once you are inside pretty much everything is free, except for a few coin-in-the-slot rides and the inevitable toy shop.

A few points to be aware of: once you go in, you can not go out and re-enter - you have to pay the full price again. There are lockers outside (extra charge) but no lockers inside; there is also a free buggy-parking facility outside - no buggies allowed inside. There is a good mother and baby room.

There is no cafe inside, though there is a "rest" area where you are allowed to eat your own food, and there are vending machines with overpriced drinks (Y200 for a 500ml bottle) and some snacks, ice cream etc. I have sometimes seen someone with a table selling a few basic sandwiches, but I wouldn't count on it, so I'd recommend eating before you go or taking a packed lunch. There are plenty of places to eat in the area - Toys Kingdom is part of the Tokyo Dome/Korakuen complex, and there is a wide choice of cafes/restaurants in Tokyo Dome itself and across the road in the new LaQua development. LaQua also has a convenience store and a supermarket, and there are other places to eat or buy snacks on Hakusan-dori.

There are also other things close by to keep the kids busy if you want to make a day of it: some children's rides in the Tokyo Dome Attractions area; LaQua has a big ferris wheel, a huge roller coaster (for much older kids/adults), a haunted house, and a splash-down boat ride. LaQua has some live performances with cartoon characters at weekends and on public holidays, and the Tokyo Dome Sky Theater has superhero shows featuring Abarangers and so on (if you have a little boy who is into that sort of thing).

Also in the area is Korakuen Garden (formal garden, entry about Y300); a good playground next to Korakuen; and a free viewing area on the 25th floor of Bunkyo Ward Office - you can sometimes see Mount Fuji on clear winter days.

By Bethan Hutton on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 9:17 am:

Why does it always rain on Mondays in the holidays, when most museums and other indoor places you can go with children are closed?

Here is a list of the few places I know of that are open on Mondays:

Tokyo Jidokaikan (Metropolitan Children's Hall) in Shibuya. This is great, but everyone knows about it, so it is always packed on rainy days and doubly so on rainy Mondays.

Toys Kingdom (Omocha no Ookoku), part of the Tokyo Dome City complex - huge former swimming pool and sports club converted into a series of play spaces featuring all sorts of toys (blocks, trains, toy cars, Licca-chan dolls, playhouses and play kitchens, wooden toys, electronic educational toys etc). Aimed at ages 0-8, but probably most fun for age 6 and under. Costs Y1,000 for three hours for adults, Y700 for age 3-12, under 3 free.

Science museums in Odaiba:
Sony ExploraScience
http://www.sonyexplorascience.jp/english/index.html
and Miraikan:
http://www.miraikan.jst.go.jp/index_e.htm
I posted about these on this website here:
http://www.tokyowithkids.com/discussions/messages/8/157.html

Does anyone else have any good suggestions for rainy Mondays?

By Cornelia on Monday, April 4, 2005 - 11:38 am:

Now that my daughter is a bit older, we don't have such an urgent need to get out of the house on holidays (she is not bouncing off the walls quite so hard anymore now that she is 8). Recently we have been able to use rainy days as a good excuse to start or finish projects that are somewhat sedentary. Crafts, art, etc. For inspiration there are millions of ideas published on the web. She's also old enough to play games and follow the rules without getting upset when she is losing, but those are more fun with more players. For me the trick has always been how to do something fun without spending a fortune. I highly recommend the indoor iceskating facilities out at Edogawa-ku sports center. We used to go there almost every weekend at least once. Skate rentals start generally at size 16cm. (look here for details: http://www.tokyowithkids.com/entertainment/sports/iceskating.html)

By Jellund on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 12:56 pm:

Last week my son and I discovered Baby Oasis in Jiyugaoka. The website is here and it is located above the Anpanman Shop.
http://www.babyoasis.co.jp/
Website is only in Japanese and I found it a bit hard to view but might be just my browser.
Anyway it is 1200yen an hour and there are some gorgeous toys there for toddlers and babies. It is like a cafe and it is nomihodai (all-you-can-drink) for the mums. It is self serve but they have an espresso machine, herbal teas and iced coffee available. The changing room is very nice and there are private rooms with comfy looking chairs for breastfeeding.
They sell nappies/diapers and wipes and formula sachets there.
It was a good relaxing atmosphere and the staff spoke fluent English and were very friendly. There are some steps to get up to the lifts but there is a buzzer on the wall and a staff member will come down and carry up your stroller for you.

By Bethan Hutton on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:10 pm:

"Kid-o-Kid" indoor play centres in Yokohama and Kobe - has anyone tried these yet?

I saw information about and pictures of them in a magazine/catalogue from Bornelund (European toy shops) today, and wondered if anyone had been and could report back.

They seem to be large, indoor "soft play" type facilities with ball pools, soft bouncy mats etc as well as toy areas. Judging from the pictures, they are aimed at toddlers to early elementary school age children.

They are run by the Bornelund company, and I presume are attached to Bornelund stores, which sell very nice but very expensive educational and wooden toys from Europe.

The Yokohama branch of Kid-o-Kid, which apparently opened last year, is on the third floor of "Leaf Minato Mirai" (or is that Reef Minato Mirai? I only have it in katakana), address: Minato Mirai 4-6-5, Nishi-ku, Yokohama, Tel. 045-650 1231. Closest station: Minato Mirai line, Minato Mirai station, exit 1. Opening hours are 10.30am to 19.00pm. I couldn't find any reference to prices.

The Kobe one opened last month, and is on the second floor of the Shin Kobe Oriental Avenue, Kitano 1-1, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Tel: 0120-244 013 (Bornelund Osaka general number). Opening hours 10am to 18.30pm. Right next to Shin Kobe station.

Bornelund's website (Japanese only) also has some pictures and addresses etc. http://www.bornelund.co.jp

By Bethan Hutton on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:13 pm:

PS Kid-o-Kid seems to be open every day, except for New Year's day in the case of the Yokohama branch.

By Marieh on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 1:49 pm:

Hi Bethan
I've been to the Bornelund's Yokohama store in "Leaf Minato Mirai" but haven't had the chance to check out the play area. I'm not 100% sure but as I recall there was a user's rate, Y500 for the first half hour and Y100 for every 10 minutes thereafter. As my daughter is just learning how to walk / run, I've been hesitant to actually use the facilities because there always seem to be a lot of older children running around (on weekends). But it looks interesting. Maybe I'll try going during a weekday... Sorry I couldn't give you an actual review. Marie

By Carin Smolinski on Saturday, September 3, 2005 - 10:56 pm:

The Fun House is a drop in indoor play place in Azabu Jyuban for children 0-5 and their adults. Children can climb and play on the climbers, ball pits, and drive around the track on their ride on cars! A protected baby zone for children under 2 is full of high quality imported toys. Children can relax an destress in the sensory exploration room. Parents can chat and have a coffee from the coffee shop. Closed one day a month, so call ahead. 03-5442-8009
Monday-Sunday open mornings from 9:30-12:00 Monday-Friday open afternoons from 2:15-4:45. Session is closed by a 15 minute circle time and parachute play. For prices and map, go to: www.funhousetokyo.com We look forward to seing you!

By Amanda Jones on Sunday, February 5, 2006 - 2:15 pm:

More info on Bornelund Kid-o-kid in Yokohama

PRICES

Children:
600 yen for first 30 minutes, 100 yen every 10 minutes after that

Adults:
200 yen flat rate

Kid-o-Kid has an area for babies to crawl and play. There is also a ball pit (ages 3 and up), a "bounce house," a play kitchen, dress-up area, train table, tricycles, inflatable rolling tubes that an adult and child can go in together, and much more. There is a sand area as well so be prepared for your child to get messy if you let them in there.

They sell drinks in Kid-o-Kid. In the actual Bornelund store there is an area where you can nurse and there is a changing table in the restroom.

On the ground floor of the Leaf Minato Mirai there are a few tables where you can eat and several sofas to relax on. There are a few playground-type climbing toys near the tables. A rock climbing wall might appeal to older kids and adults.

Next to Leaf Minato Mirai is the Jackmall. There are several kid friendly places to eat there, including Skylark and McDonalds. Jackmall also has a Toys R Us and a 100 yen stored called Daiso.

One last note: when you exit Minato Mirai station Exit 1 is closest but if you need and elevator take Exit 4. Exit 1 has escalators only. Both exits are within a five minute walk of Leaf Minato Mirai.

By Milessander on Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 2:38 pm:

There are many parks and other activity centers that you can go with. Some of them offers outdoor and physical games for kids while other have virtual entertainment like video games. There are also playpens and some various games for girls and boys.

By Milessander on Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 2:46 pm:

There are many parks and other activity centers that you can go with. Some of them offers outdoor and physical games for kids while other have virtual entertainment like video games. There are also playpens and some various games for girls and boys.

By Milessander on Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 2:53 pm:

If you have kiddies or toddlers, specially if they are girls, why not play with them, get some ideas from here http://www.igamesforgirls.com/.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: