Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Auction April 2003 to Benefit JapanWithKids.org

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Auction April 2003 to Benefit JapanWithKids.org
By Admin on Saturday, April 5, 2003 - 7:50 am:

Announcing an Auction to benefit the Japan With Kids/Tokyo With Kids web site.

Do you like these discussions? Do you like being able to post a classified, a help wanted, look for a nanny or a babysitter or a sports partner at any time? Ask other parents about hospitals and giving birth in Japan? Please consider bidding for an easter egg coloring kit.

There are 8 Paas Egg Coloring Kits for Easter! for auction.

Help cover the monthly fixed costs of keeping this web site up! And enjoy coloring eggs with your children, a fun tradition for the whole family.

Please place your bids here. The 8 highest bids will be contacted on April 20 for mail addresses and the kits will be mailed on the 21st.

The minimum bid is Y240 (the cost of mailing the kit).

You may bid as often as you like. The goal is Y12,000 to be raised which covers two months of web hosting. ($50 USD per month).

Any people bidding over Y2500 will be listed on the sponsors page, unless they wish to remain anonymous.

Please help support this web site! Just post your bid below!

photograph front/back of Paas egg coloring kit

By Amy Uehara on Saturday, April 5, 2003 - 9:11 am:

Hello,
I will make my first bid of \750 for the Easter Egg color kit. Who will raise my bid?
Great site and I'd like to make a donation anyway. Let me know how.
Sincerely,
Amy

By Admin on Saturday, April 5, 2003 - 9:13 am:

OK. Big Oops! Someone just informed me that 20 April is Easter this year. So the auction will finish on 17 April at 8 am and the egg coloring kits will be mailed out later the same day.

Please help keep this site up and running!

For 2003, Ash Wednesday is on March 5th. Holy Week begins with Passion Sunday on April 13 and Easter is on April 20.

By Blue Sky on Saturday, April 5, 2003 - 11:22 am:

I will make the second bid! 1000yen, and like Amy request you post info on how to support this site. I would be very happy to, as it is an excellent resource in Tokyo.

By Amy Uehara on Saturday, April 5, 2003 - 12:27 pm:

Hello, Blue Sky,
Today I have time so I will raise the bid to 1,250 yen. This takes me back to the cattle auctions of the Denver Stock Show I used to love. (a little slower ;o)
You are right, this is an excellent resource.
Amy

By Emily Homma on Saturday, April 5, 2003 - 5:47 pm:

Hi Amy,

I'd like to raise the bid to 1,500 yen. I want the Easter eggs kit, and desire for the good of TokyoWithKids. I'm afraid I'd lose the eggs to so many generous supporters of TWK.
Emily

By Amy Uehara on Saturday, April 5, 2003 - 7:49 pm:

Hello, Emily,
My daughter said, "You have to reply, Mommy.If you don't, I will!" So, since this is for kids, (and parents!) here I go. I'll go up another 250 yen to bid at 1,750yen. (and this is only the first day!! ;o)
Amy

By Admin on Sunday, April 6, 2003 - 12:24 pm:

Auction to Support the JapanWithKids/TokyoWithKids website UPDATE
Someone just donated three books to the auction (Thank you!):

New, never read:

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Scholastic paperback wrapped in plastic so quite "fresh") starting bid Y400
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Scholastic paperback not plastic wrapped so starting to "yellow") starting bid Y240
Japan for Kids (2nd edition 2000 Brand new) starting bid Y2000

There are eight egg coloring kits, so the eight highest bids will win a kit. Also, you are welcome to bid on more than one item. The egg coloring kit auction ends on 17 April and kits will be mailed that day to the winners in time for Easter.

Please help keep this web site alive for another 2 months while options for lowering fixed costs and continuing to keep the site impartial to commercial influences are worked out.

By Jenny on Sunday, April 6, 2003 - 4:10 pm:

I'll put a bid on both the Harry Potter books for Y650 (OK. I guess that would be Y400 for the 'chamber' and Y250 for the 'stone'!

Jenny

By Melissa Mcnulty on Monday, April 7, 2003 - 11:24 pm:

2,000 yen bid for an Easter egg kit, but I'll donate anyway if you just tell me how to send you the $$ :-)
cheers,
Melissa

By Admin on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 11:32 am:

Dear Melissa,
I'm confused. Are you bidding on an egg coloring kit?

There are 8 kits for auction and the top 8 bids will win. So far there are only 3 people bidding, so there are still 5 kits available and the minimum bid is Y240.

Thank you for the kind offer to send a donation.

If you are anyone else wants to send a donation, you can send cash, postage stamps, yubin kogawase and yubin kawase (with recipient name left blank), to the following address.

Tokyo With Kids
3-42-9 Otsuka
Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-0012

Sincerely, Cornelia at Tokyo With Kids/ Japan With Kids

List of bidders so far:
Egg Coloring kits (starting bid Y240):
Amy Uehara Y1,750
Blue Sky Y1,000
Emily Homma Y1,500
Melissa Mcnulty? Y2000

Jenny - Harry Potter books Y650

By Melissa Mcnulty on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 1:10 pm:

Hi Cornelia,
Yes, I am bidding for an easter egg coloring kit, but if the bids go higher (as I hope they will) and I am out-bidded, I will donate the money anyway.
Cheers, and thanks for the donation info,
Melissa

By Emily Homma on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 1:27 pm:

Hello,

I'd like to bid for the other 2 egg kits for 600 yen (300 each kit); and Harry Potter books for 800 yen
(500 yen:'chamber';300 yen for 'stone'). I have kids/neighbors/pupils to benefit from these.

By Ashley Cook on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 7:16 pm:

I'll bid on an Easter Egg kit for 300 yen.

By Kit on Wednesday, April 9, 2003 - 9:30 am:

It's really time to be a "Good
Egg," so I'll bid on one Easter
egg kit, too, for \1000. I'm
just dying (ha, ha) to keep this
site up and running!

By Karen on Wednesday, April 9, 2003 - 12:44 pm:

I'll bid 500 yen for an Easter Egg kit.

Q: Why did the Easter Egg hide?
A: He was a little chicken!

Q: Why shouldn't you tell an Easter Egg a joke?
A: It might crack up!

Lots of other ridiculous jokes for the kiddies can be found at:
http://www.kidsdomain.com/holiday/easter/games/jokes.html

Karen

By Admin on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 1:56 am:

New item being added to the auction tomorrow. A night for two in a Tokyo hotel! Details coming.

Updated list of bidders, seven days to go!

Egg Coloring kits (8 kits available):
Melissa Mcnulty Y2000
Amy Uehara Y1,750
Blue Sky Y1,000
Kit Y1000
Karen Y500
Emily Homma Y1,500, Y300, Y300
Ashley Cook Y300

Jenny - Harry Potter books Y650
Emily Homma - Harry Potter books Y800

The total bid here is slightly over half of the amount needed to pay for two months of web hosting. With a little bit more the goal of Y12000 will be achieved.

And any money left over will go towards finally upgrading the software for these discussions (we are behind about 3 versions, and the upgrade will cost $70 USD).

Someone sent an email privately asking about sending cash in the mail (without paying the Y600 plus "genkin kakitome" registered cash envelope fee). I personally wouldn't bother with such a ridiculous fee if I were sending under a few thousand yen. I have almost spiritual faith in the Japanese mail service after living here for 11 years! But basically it's up to you if you feel the risk is high or not. A cheaper solution is to buy the postal money orders, but even that is not as cheap as just sending money folded in a piece of paper!

If you want to do a bank transfer (which will cost more than an Y80 stamp) please send a private email to admin@tokyowithkids.com

Keep on bidding! Easter is just around the corner!

Remember bids or contributions over Y2500 will get you listed on the "sponsor's page" (with your permission of course).

By Admin on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 6:35 pm:

A night for two in the center of Shinjuku, Tokyo !

Minimum bid Y5000
Approximate value Y19,000

Shinjuku Washington Hotel
Just minutes from Shinjuku station West Exit!
Voucher for one night's accommodation for 2 people (twin room). Must be booked in advance (this is also possible earlier on the same day) and can not be exchanged for cash. Must be used by 30 June 2003. Hotel tel: 03-3343-3111

The auction deadline for this "item" will be 21 April 8:00 am.

By Caroline on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 9:15 pm:

I'd like to place a 1,000 yen bid on an Egg Coloring kit. This site is great and I hope it keeps running. How can donations be made?

By Amy Uehara on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 11:15 pm:

This gal needs a break!!
I will make the first bid on the night out in Shinjuku. I am not sure, but I kind of think I stayed in that hotel about 20 years ago when I first came here!! Wouldn't that be a coincidence?
(I am planning to make a donation after the bid anyway.)
-Amy

from the administration:
>If you want to do a bank transfer (which will cost more than an Y80 stamp) please send a private email to admin@tokyowithkids.com)<

By Jenny on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 2:14 pm:

I'll go up on the Harry Potter books: Y900
(up Y50 each on the last bid)

By Christy Coruna on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 7:35 pm:

Ill bid 1,000 coloring easter egg.up to 1,500 last bid.
IP Address: 219.35.2.13

By Heather Seyl Miyashita on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 8:35 pm:

I`ll go for the Japan for Kids book. I`m always looking for more things to do with them.

By Admin on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 10:12 pm:

Latest bids added up:

Updated list of bidders, six days to go on the Egg kits and the books!

1) Melissa Mcnulty Y2,000
2) Amy Uehara Y1,750
3) Emily Homma Y1,500
4) Blue Sky Y1,000
5) Kit Y1,000
6) Caroline Y1,000
7) Christy Coruna Y1,000 (Y1500 top limit)
8) Karen Y500
9, 10) Emily Homma Y300, Y300
11) Ashley Cook Y300

Jenny - Harry Potter books Y900

Hotel Washington in Shinjuku:
Amy Uehara has started with the minimum bid of Y5,000 !

Japan for Kids book:
Heather Seyl Miyashita has started with the minimum bid of Y2,000 (this one is brand new brought all the way from the USA and bought at a store in Herndon, Virginia, just down the street from where Diane Wiltshire, the author, lives now!)

For those of you who would like to know more about the Shinjuku Washington hotel, here is there official website (Japanese only but there are some pictures!)
http://www.shinjyuku-wh.com/

The egg kits are going out in the morning of the 17th so that they will get there no later than the 19th (sometimes mail takes two days! if it's far from Tokyo). Inside Tokyo people should be getting them by Friday I think. The lowest bid now stands at Y500 for the eighth kit. Does anyone want to raise it?

By Karyn Robson on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 8:24 am:

I would love to bid on a egg kits. I'll bid Y1000.
Thanks

By Admin on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 10:57 am:

OK, don't slow down just yet folks! This is to make things better, not just keep them alive. We are up to Y19,000 minus costs (of postage, etc.) this means that the total net is about Y13,000. Enough to cover two months of hosting. But with only a little bit more the discussions software can be upgraded to make the discussions much easier to use and manage. The software currently being used dates 1998. There have been several upgrades since then and in order to implement them about Y8500 is needed.

How about another bid for the Harry Potter books, the night for two in a Shinjuku hotel, or raise a bid on an egg coloring kit just in time for Easter?

Updated list of bidders, THREE days to go on the Egg kits and the books!

1) Melissa Mcnulty Y2,000
2) Amy Uehara Y1,750
3) Emily Homma Y1,500
4) Blue Sky Y1,000
5) Kit Y1,000
6) Caroline Y1,000
7) Christy Coruna Y1,000 (Y1500 top limit)
8) Karyn Robson Y1000
9) Karen Y500
10, 11) Emily Homma Y300, Y300
12) Ashley Cook Y300

Jenny - Harry Potter books Y900

Hotel Washington in Shinjuku (auction deadline 21 April):
Amy Uehara has started with the minimum bid of Y5,000 !

Japan for Kids book (auction deadline 21 April):
Heather Seyl Miyashita has started with the minimum bid of Y2,000

By Emily Homma on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 12:29 pm:

I'd like to make the second bid for the Hotel Washington-Shinjuku stay for 5,500 yen.

By Cathy Edwards on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 2:14 pm:

I will add a bid on the Easter Egg kits for Y2,000.
Anything to keep a great site
up and running.

By Dian Mertani on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 2:25 pm:

3000 yen for the coloring kit to support the continuance and improvement of this useful TWK forum.

By Blue Sky on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 11:31 pm:

I am going to up my bid on the egg coloring kit to 2000yen. If anyone is interested in coloring their eggs and coming along to a big Easter egg hunt and picnic in Baji Koen in Setagaya ku, please email me privately for details.

By Amy Uehara on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 8:42 am:

I am going to raise the hotel bid to 6,000 yen.
Amy

By Christy Coruna on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 10:05 am:

I'll go up for 2000 bid for the coloring book.the kids are excited to have it to show to their friends.
IP Address: 219.35.2.13

By Admin on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 3:59 pm:

The first donation has arrived from Tengu Natural Foods!

Thank you, Jack, for the donation and also for the Spring newsletter wrapping!

The specials listed were only good until 3/31. But I'll go take a look at your web site now to see what's new: http:\www.alishan-organic-center.com

By Admin on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 10:30 pm:

Less than 11 hours to go on the egg coloring kits and the Harry Potter books. Here is how the bids stand. Now's your last chance to join in and help support the web site and get a wonderful creative Easter activity all in one go!

1) Dian Mertani Y3,000
2) Melissa Mcnulty Y2,000
3) Cathy Edwards Y2,000
4) Blue Sky Y2,000
5) Christy Coruna Y2,000
6) Amy Uehara Y1,750
7) Emily Homma Y1,500
8) Kit Y1,000
8) Caroline Y1,000
8) Karyn Robson Y1000

We have a TIE for Number 8! Kit was the first person to bid Y1000 so she will get it, unless someone raises the stakes!

9) Karen Y500
10, 11) Emily Homma Y300, Y300
12) Ashley Cook Y300

The Harry Potter books cost $6.99 and $5.99 plus tax in California, and they are very popular even with 4 and 5 year olds (if you do the reading!). Let's go at least Y1000. Remember that includes the cost of mailing them to you!
1) Jenny - Harry Potter books Y900
2) Emily Homma - Harry Potter books Y800

By Sraboni Dutta on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 11:04 pm:

Hello,

I'll go up on the Harry Potter books: Y1000
This is really a great site, so anything for this site.

Regards,
Sraboni

By Jennifer Yang on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 1:29 am:

We will up the bid to 1500 yen on the Harry Potter books. Thanks for keeping the site up.

By Admin on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:09 am:

Good Morning,
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR MAKING THIS HAPPEN!

I am working on mailing out the egg coloring kits right now, but I am still short a couple of addresses. Those of you who have not sent me your snail mailing address please mail it ASAP to me at
auction@tokyowithkids.com

THE AUCTION IS NOT OVER !

Their is still bidding open on Diane Wiltshire's book Japan for Kids
and on
the Night for two at Shinjuku Washington Hotel!

Top bids on these items as of now are:

Y2000 for Japan For Kids by Heather Seyl Miyashita
Y6000 for the Hotel night by Amy Uehara

By Admin on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 12:11 pm:

Two addresses are missing so I won't be able to mail to those winners until about 4 pm today, provided the addresses have arrived in my in-box then. Have to go work!

Carolyn (check out her website at http://cgg.port5.com) made a last bid of Y2000 and Kit decided to show her appreciation separately so the present winners of todays deadline bids:

1) Dian Mertani Y3,000
2) Melissa Mcnulty Y2,000
3) Cathy Edwards Y2,000
4) Blue Sky Y2,000
5) Christy Coruna Y2,000
6) Caroline Y2,000
7) Amy Uehara Y1,750
8) Emily Homma Y1,500

The Harry Potter books
1) Jennifer Yang - Harry Potter books Y1500

After the final bids are in for the HOTEL NIGHT in Shinjuku and the Japan for Kids book, on the 21st, I'll post the final funds raised!

By Amy Uehara on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 12:23 pm:

Wow!! This is EGGciting!! I haven't won something for a while. I am going to the post office to send the bidding price of 1,750 yen and as I don't like odd numbers, I'll make it an even 2,000 yen. I'll keep bidding on the hotel and if that doesn't work out, will donate my final bid anyway because this deserves to be supported. I have benefited quite a lot from this list-minus the obligations of regular meetings and expensive luncheons, and so on. I will keep the below address and try to make donations when able to contribute to its continued presence.

Here is a repeat of the address and methods of sending funds to TWK.
Amy Uehara

>Thank you for the kind offer(s) to send a donation.
If you are anyone else wants to send a donation, you can send cash, postage stamps, yubin kogawase and yubin kawase (with recipient name left blank), to the following address.

Tokyo With Kids
3-42-9 Otsuka
Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-0012 <

By Admin on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 5:54 pm:

The last two Paas Egg Coloring Kits have been mailed as of a few minutes ago. Thanks for getting your addresses to me quickly!

I want to give a public thanks to Amanda Fulton for her donation of the Shinjuku Washington Hotel voucher! Amanda, I am in debt for your consideration!

Also thanks to my long-time friend in Los Angeles, Brian Ryman, who obtained the Paas egg dyeing kits and stored them for more than 6 months, until I had a chance to pick them up!

And thanks most of all to the people bidding. Yes, of course Y2000 + yen is a lot for dyeing eggs, so it's really nice to see that this site is appreciated, and that you all realize that this is not happening out of thin air!

Now, there are still two items left to drum up financial support. If you live far out, what better way to get your copy of Japan For Kids than by mail! This book has proven to be very popular, and useful, not only for residents in and close to Tokyo. There is much information that is useful regardless of what part of Japan you live in. In fact, before the internet came along it was, together with the Japan Health Handbook, the Japanese- challenged newcomer's survival kit! If you already have your copy, why not get an extra copy to use as a welcome gift to recent arrival?

A lot of work went into updating all the information in the second edition, and it is well worth the investment. The book existed before this site, and Diane has nothing to do with this site. But she was an inspiration none-the-less!

Bring on the bidding!

By Emily Homma on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 1:43 pm:

Today, I am sending my 1,500 yen winning bid for an Egg coloring kit, but am adding 1,000 yen more as donation -making it 2,500 yen in all!
This site has been helping a lot of 'confused', 'lost', and 'struggling' parents like me. I also want to raise my bid for the Shinjuku Hotel stay to 6,500 yen. Hubby and I deserve a night out this coming June for our anniversary. More power to TWK!

By John Racine on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 12:23 am:

I'll put 7000 yen on the Hotel.

I hope it helps with the website.

By bergie on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 11:01 am:

I'll make it 7,500 for the hotel

By Emily Homma on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 12:03 pm:

I'll raise my Hotel bid to 8,000 yen. Thanks.

By Admin on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 8:36 am:

Good morning everyone. I hope everyone had a glorious weekend in spite of the drizzle weather Sunday (at least here in Tokyo. I sympathize with myself and all others who count on Sundays to do laundry and hang it out to dry!)

The deadline for the auction for the hotel room and the Japan For Kids book is 8:00 am, but since I am leaving now for an off-site job in Mishima at the top of Izu Peninsula, and will be away from my computer all day, I would like to extend the deadline to 6 pm this evening.

At this very moment the bids stand as follows:

Washington Shinjuku Hotel: Emily Homma Y8,000 (a value of about Y19,000)
This hotel is located minutes from Shinjuku station, a shopping and restaurant mecca, as well as the seat of the Tokyo government. This is one of the 4 major "downtowns" within Tokyo. If you are not that familiar with Tokyo I'd be happy to answer you privately by email, any questions regarding the Shinjuku area.

Japan for Kids: Heather Seyl Miyashita Y2000
The cover price of the book is Y1900 and it will be shipped anywhere in Japan. If you live somewhere far from major bookstores, this might be a convenient way to get your copy AND support these discussion forums and website!

picture of cover of _Japan for Kids_

This is your last chance. 10 more hours to go!

By Admin on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 11:48 pm:

THE WINNERS for the last two items for auction are:

Washington Shinjuku Hotel: Emily Homma Y8,000 (a value of about Y19,000)

Japan for Kids: Heather Seyl Miyashita Y2000

And thus the auction is officially over.

A summary will appear here shortly after all the items have been mailed/received etc.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT! I've received a response that encourages me to go on with this web site. Basically, I miss Emi very much and I wish I were not doing this alone. However, she has been gone for 3 years now, and though I've hoped for someone to come along and fill her shoes, so far, it hasn't happened. It's really nice to see that this site is appreciated, even if it is far from perfect. I will really try to keep it "up".

By Admin on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 12:41 pm:

Auction Pre-final Summary:

The leading bidder/contributor was Emily Homma in Saitama prefecture, who made two winning bids of Y1500 for the Paas egg coloring kit and Y8000 for the Washington Shinjuku Hotel room. Then she threw in an extra Y1000 for a grand total of Y10,500 !

I am still waiting on 3 bids to come in totalling Y6000 before I can post the final net amount raised by this auction.

So far the numbers are:

Bids paid: Y23,000
Additional contributions (from Kit and Tengu Natural foods): Y4000
Costs: Y7767
(breakdown of costs--
Postage: Y3030
Egg kits and books: Y4737
Hotel voucher: donated by Amanda Fulton)

So at the moment we are looking at a net of just under Y20,000 plus another Y6000 in winning bids not yet received.

A huge Big THANK YOU from me here in Tokyo. I'll be able to upgrade the software now, which I am absolutely dying to do. But not until after Golden Week !

Cornelia ;-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: