Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

After School Program

Japan With Kids - Forums: Education in Japan: English, Keeping it !: After School Program
By kamran S A on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 9:06 pm:

Sophia International SchoolFor Kids Age From 2 /15 Have After School Program every day and on Sat And Sun,from 10:00 to 18:00 and on Japanese red holiday
and also we have summer program,
Please visit our home page ,

www.sophia-school.com
03-59584907
4F 1-19-12 Higashi Ikebukuro Tokyo japan

By Akiko Vogel on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 8:51 pm:

Are there any after school or weekend programs in English in Tokyo for bilingual elementary school kids attending Japanese schools?

By Tokyomama on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 9:01 am:

I send my kids here after school for a couple of times a week. They love it!
Kids International - about 8 locations
http://www.kids-int.co.jp/english/e_top.html

By Tara on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 9:42 am:

Ten years ago I used to teach at JAL Academy, which has schools in Harajuku, Ikebukuro, and Yokohama. They had a pretty nifty program for returnees going, in which the kids were doing not "English" per se, but talking about social studies and whatnot as if they were in a classroom abroad. I know that the program itself still exists, but I don't know what the content is recently. Probably worth checking out, though. If I recall correctly, the age range was from about 7 up through high school, split by age/level, of course.

Here is a link for the program:
http://www.jaca-global.jp/open/returnees/index.shtml

They also have English immersion kindergarten programs for kids starting with zero English, but I am not so familiar with that.

Hope that is useful.

Tara
Adachi-ku

By Hiromi Tanaka on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 1:53 pm:

We are organizing NPO group to support International children and their families in Tokyo. We are thinking to do after school international school program for International kids who go to Japanese school‚“ and parents oriented clubs such as Young Scientists Club and Drama Club in English. Homeschoolers are welcome too.
Please check our web site
http://groups.msn.com/InternationalKidsClub

By Reiko Matsuzawa on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 5:18 pm:

Gregg International School starts a new Saturday school in April. We meet for 3 hours from 9 to 12 every Saturday. The students aged 3 and up are welcome. This is a wonderful opportunity for the English speaking children who are attending Japanese schools during the week.
We have spacious school yard with lots of green. Please see our home page http://www.gis-j.com and call us for more information.
We are 5 minutes from Jiyugaoka station on Toyoko Line.
Our telephone number is 03-3725-8000

By Rich Brown on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 11:20 pm:

Dear Group,

Some of you know me as the Tax guy (najapan.com/info.htm) ... Well I am helping a small school in Seta (near Futakotamagawa) called Seta International Preschool. They have excellent teachers and now are allowing me to help market their services.

Often parents can not afford an International School, but have you thought about sending your child to an International after school program. Seta International Preschool has such a program.

From April 19th to April 30th if you mention my name Rich Brown and you head about this offer with Tokyo with Kids you can save 15,000 yen, you can get enrolled for free. (15,000 yen off) Just signup and mention my name and Tokyo with kids. They have never done a campaign like this, and to be honest, if turnout isn't what I say, probably will not do it again. But I want to spread the word.

(They want me to mention this is for new customers only.)

I believe this is a good deal and I hope that many families take advantage of it.

You can learn more about Seta International School by visiting their website at: http://www.seta-inter.com

If you need any help or have any questions, please email me.

They also are reviewing applications for next year's preschool as well as summer school. Check out their website about those areas.

As for this deal, Please mention my name and Tokyo with Kids.

By Reiko Matsuzawa on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 4:08 am:

GREGG INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OPEN HOUSE Saturday, MAY 22, 2004, 10:30 to 12 noon

Everyone welcome. This is a great opportunity to see the school. Gregg accepts students from age 2 to elementary age from Monday to Friday, 9;00 to 2;30.

We have after school English classes for non native speakers and Saturday School (9 to 12 every Saturday) for native as well as non-native English speakers.

The English speaking children attending Japanese schools during the week are especially welcome to attend our OPEN HOUSE on May 22, as our brand new Saturday School is especially for them.

Gregg is in Jiyugaoka on the Toyoko Line. Call 03-3725-8000 or visit our Home Page http://www.gis-j.com for more information

If you have any questions, please write to matuzawa@gregg.ac.jp

By Charles Knudsen on Monday, November 8, 2004 - 4:18 pm:

Please consider Kikokushijo Academy as a very good alternative after school international school. We have all English classes based on the California Board of Education’s Language Arts classes. We also have an all-English library and lounge that is a great place for child to meet other returnees. Classes are affordable, professional, and fun.

Also, if your child is thinking about attending a Japanese school with a returnee program for Junior High School, we can help him or her pass the all-English tests for such programs. I am currently also the head of the returnee department at Shibuya Kyoiku Gakuen, a school with a highly respected returnee program.

Please visit our website at kikokushijoacademy.com

Charles Knudsen

By Admin on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 2:07 pm:

Adachi-ku -- I think there is an after-school program which might work for some bi-cultural kids at:
Shikahama English Adventure, Adachi-ku, Tokyo
Tel: 03-3897-3828, Fax: 03-5837-2105
http://www.sea-japan.com/ (almost 100% Japanese only)
If anyone has checked it out, please let us know more!

By Reiko Matsuzawa on Tuesday, February 1, 2005 - 1:50 am:

Gregg International School presents the following.

Afternoon School
3:00 to 4:30 age 3 to 5
4:30 to 6:00 age 6 and up
Monday to Friday
Different subject( art, math, science, theater snd social studies ) for each day in addition to everyday circle time and language arts.
Choose 1 to 5 days / week
Starts on Monday, February 14th, 2005.

Spring School
for age 2 to elementary.
March 28 to April 1.
Choose 1 to 5 days.

Spring Festival
Saturday, April 16.
Children's games, international food,flea market, and much more.

Summer School
for age 2 to elementary.
June 13 to August 12.

Please call 03-3725-8000 for more information.
Gregg International School is in Jiyugaoka, Meguro-ku, Tokyo.

By Regina Splees on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 5:34 am:

Hi, I'd like to pass on the following information for anyone living in the Fujisawa / Kamakura / Chigasaki area:

NPO (non profit organization) Gateway International Center in Fujisawa is getting ready to start a new year for its Junior Sunbeams after school English Enhancement group.

Half (or more) of the work that goes into working with your child in English seems to go into researching what to do with your child or what to teach... Sunbeams is a great way for busy moms to have a base already chosen for you. All you need to do is expand on the monthly themes at home, and help with homework. Kids have a great time getting together once a week, then working at their own pace at home with mom or dad.

Sunbeams has been in the trial and error stage for three years, and now has many of the kinks sorted out. We combine resources from Longman Pearson of Australia's 'Inquizitive' program, literature units chosen by the students, Five in A Row literature units, and depending on the groups interests and needs special themes such as 'Egypt' etc. are chosen.

While groups are divided by grade levels, students use workbooks based on their skill level. Jolly Phonics (An excellent system created in Scotland) and Oxford Reading Tree is used at the beginning levels to encourage reading. Montessori materials are used for independent study time. Either American workbooks or British workbooks may be chosen for use with the class.

Basic information for the group can be found at the following link:
http://www.gatewayinternational.org/id10.html

Even if you find that Sunbeams is not for you, Gateway International is a great resource center for homeschoolers and afterschoolers etc. The center itself is very humble in size but has over 1000 English books and a decent sized library for educational videos and just plain fun videos. We are looking to expand and find a building to support us, but need all the 'emotional' support we can get even at our beginning stages.

By Kumon Materials Development Division on Monday, September 5, 2005 - 2:09 pm:

Kumon is offering students the opportunity to study its English Programme (British English version, as used in the UK and Australia) at our monitor centre in Ichigaya, Tokyo.

Kumon English is a programme designed for children whose first (or second) language is English or who are being educated in English at school. It is currently used in 17 countries around the world, including Britain and Australia, but is not available at Kumon study centres in Japan. For the first time, we are able to offer the international version of the English Programme at our monitor centre in Ichigaya.

Kumon English aims to improve studentsf reading comprehension skills and to nurture an interest in reading and learning English which will enable students to read widely and with confidence for both education and enjoyment. The lowest levels of the Kumon English are designed for preschoolers and begin by enriching studentsf vocabulary and teaching basic foundation reading skills. Students go on to learn about sentence construction, paragraph building, summary and finally critique of literary texts, including classic literature such as Shakespeare.

If you would like more information about Kumon English or would like to enrol your child at our Ichigaya monitor centre, please contact the English Native Language Programme Team by fax on 03-5276-7166, by email at kumon-chn@kumon.ne.jp, or by phone on 03-3234-4748 (Monday and Thursday afternoons only).

By Regina M. Splees on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 10:38 am:

JUNIOR SUNBEAMS is an English Enhancement Program to help students maintain and continue to develop their English linguistic abilities. Classes meet in Fujisawa; currently we have classes for ages 5 - 13

Sunbeams is for you if:

1) you speak English regularly at home with an English speaking parent.
2) you have attended an International school
3) You lived overseas in an English speaking country
4) You have accelerated in an English language program

We are trying to reach a certain level of quality and will only accept children who are fluent, but we do have advanced ESL classes that are at a very high level as well. These classes are perfect for busy parents who find it difficult to plan lessons for their children at home. We plan the initial lesson, and you follow up at home.

One hour of class is devoted to discussion, exploration and experiencing various aspects of literature, while another hour is devoted to grammar, spelling, comprehension and writing.

check out the web site at:
http://www.gatewayinternational.org/id10.html

or call: 0466-54-5755

By Kumon Materials Development Division on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 11:04 am:

Kumon English Native Language Programme OPEN HOUSE
THURSDAY 29th SEPTEMBER, from 3 P.M. to 5 P.M

The English Native Language Programme is an educational programme that aims to develop reading comprehension and self-study skills for children whose first or second language is English. The Programme is used in 17 countries, including the UK and Australia, but is only available in Japan at our Monitor Centre here in Ichigaya. This is a unique opportunity for children with an English speaking parent, children who have lived abroad and children studying at an international school to study the same English programme as those living in English-speaking countries.

Come along with your children to our OPEN HOUSE and learn more about the programme, our Monitor Centre and the Kumon Method of Native Language Study. Try our Diagnostic Test (used to gauge reading comprehension) free of charge, with no obligation to enrol.

For an appointment, write to kumon-chn@kumon.ne.jp or fax us on (03) 5276 7166.

By Kumon Materials Development Division on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 2:02 pm:

Kumon English Native Language Programme OPEN HOUSE
WEDNESDAY 19th OCTOBER from 4.15 P.M. to 7 P.M

The English Native Language Programme is an educational programme that aims to develop reading comprehension and self-study skills for children whose first or second language is English. The Programme is used in 17 countries, including the UK and Australia, but is only available in Japan at our Monitor Centre here in Ichigaya. This is a unique opportunity for children with an English speaking parent, children who have lived abroad and children studying at an international school to study the same English programme as those living in English-speaking countries.

Come along with your children to our OPEN HOUSE and learn more about the programme, our Monitor Centre and the Kumon Method of Native Language Study. Try our Diagnostic Test (used to gauge reading comprehension) free of charge, with no obligation to enrol.

For an appointment, write to kumon-chn@kumon.ne.jp or fax us on (03) 5276 7166.

By Kumonmdd on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 1:52 pm:

Monitor Centre - Kumon English Native Language Programme

Please note that we have closed our old email address (kumon-chn@kumon.ne.jp). Should you wish to contact us, please fax us on (03) 5276 7166.

Due to the special circumstances under which our Monitor Centre operates (the English Native Language Programme is not available in the Kumon study centres in Japan), we have a strict limit on the number of students we can enrol.
The Monitor Centre is running at full capacity with a long waiting list of interested students. It may take more than three to four years before a place becomes available. As a result we have changed our waiting list admissions guidelines to the following: (1) A child must be attending an English-speaking kindergarten or school (full-time / five days a week) or (2) a childfs first language at home must be English.
Thank you for your understanding.

By Kidsonair on Tuesday, April 8, 2014 - 1:17 pm:

Kids On Air is an after school discovery studio for Elementary aged kids.

Check us out at
https://www.facebook.com/KidsonAirInt

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: