Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

After School (and Weekend) Clubs

Japan With Kids - Forums: Education in Japan: English, Keeping it !: After School (and Weekend) Clubs
By Kasumi Haxhiislami on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 7:45 pm:

Hi, everyone!

I am a Japanese married to a British husband,living in London. We have a 4 years old son who speaks Japanese as his first language and English as second.
We are going to move to Tokyo in December this year, most probably for permanent.

He has been attending to a local private nursery in London since last year and that improved his English speaking so much.
I am hoping to keep bilingulism in Tokyo as well, but I am concerned that he might get reluctant to speak in English becuase he knows that everybody in Japan speak same as him in Japanese, and certainly he feels more confortable to speak in Japanese. (It seems like father's 2-3 hours English conversation a day does not beat mummy's 12 hours Japanese talking!!)

I know that the best thing to keep his English is to send him a International school, but since we are not supported by company, their tuition fees are too expensive for us. Also we prefer Japanese school because our son is going to be brought up in Japan for a long time.

I would like to know if there are any activities ( after scool or Saturday )in English environment for 4 years old and up near Oota-ku area.

One more question;
Did anyone try to send your bilingul child to " Eikaiwa" class in Japan? ( EFL for kids )
Did it help to keep his/her English ability?
Any recommendation is welcome!

Please reply to
kasumi@blueyonder.co.uk

By Blue Sky on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 5:42 pm:

Wednesday afternoons, Setagaya-ku - If anyone is interested, we have just (April 2003) started up an English story time on Wednesday afternoons in Setagaya-ku. We read aloud a selection of quality children's stories and literature from around the world to the children in English.

The group is primarily for children who speak English as their native language, or who have an English-speaking parent, or who are returnees who have come back from time abroad in an English speaking place. It is not a class, but an opportunity for the children to relax and expand their imaginations and vocabulary through story.
There are 2 sessions on a Wednesday afternoon, one for 3-4 year olds (accompanied by an adult) and one for 5-6 year olds (with or without an adult). Cost 500 yen per child.

Of course if anyone else would like to join us as volunteer story readers, please let me know! blue.sky[at]gol.com

By Mono on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 10:27 am:

There is an organization called ICBA which manages its book reading clubs in Japan.
According to their website, therefs one French book reading club in Chiyoda-ku Fujimi, and one German book reading club in Shinagawa-ku. The one I know is an English book reading club for families from English speaking countries and Japanese families who came back from English speaking countries to help them keep their English. I think ICBAfs book reading clubs are not meant to be used by those who want to learn another language.
There are ICBAfs book reading clubs in UK, Germany, Italy, USA, China, and Australia, and I think those are for keeping your childrenfs Japanese language skills.
Please contact ICBA to get contact information on reading clubs in your area. The website is only in Japanese, but the most of the people in ICBA understand English.
http://home.n03.itscom.net/icba/index.html

By Charles Knudsen on Monday, November 8, 2004 - 4:39 pm:

Hello. I've just opened up a new school made especially for returnees from English speaking countries. In addition to our classes, we have an all-English library and speaking lounge for members. Use of this lounge is unlimited so your child spend as much time there as he/she wants, playing games or studying. Please visit our website. www.kikokushijoacademy.com

2-25-5 Ohara, Setagaya Ku, Tokyo 156-0041
Tel: 03-3324-9903

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: