Return to
Japan With Kids Home Page

Forum Main Page
Keyword Search
New Posts
Last Week

Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Detention, Visiting Someone

Japan With Kids - Forums: Immigration/visas/re-entry permits/naturalization: Detention, Visiting Someone
By Admin on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 5:36 pm:

The new immigration facility south of Shinagawa is also a detention center. If you want to visit someone there, you go early, fill out an "Application for an Interview and Presentation of Articles" and wait.

There are signs all over telling you what you may not give to a detainee and what you might give them. Here is a copy of what is written on one of those signs:

"Presents for detainees.
Things you can not give:

  • cigarettes
  • Foods (including confectionary, seasonings and spices)
  • Drinks (including P.E.T. bottled water, tea and juices)
  • Letters
  • Other things which are thought to be unacceptable by the officer in charge
Things you can present:
  • luggage, money, passport, etc.
If you have any questions, please ask at the window.

By s d on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 6:55 pm:


I am gettin married in december.My husband plans to go to japan in january from india on work permit for 1-2 years. Please tell me how much time it will take for me to get a visa after marriage as soon as possible? and can i apply for dependent visa before marriage also? please help

By Trupti Gandhi on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 7:26 pm:


i applied for our dependent visa in mumbai consulate and it usualy takes 3-4 working days to get the visa... or even less...

i do not think you can apply for dependent's visa before marriage... as one of the document required is the mariage certificate... so if you can produce that while applying for the visa you should most likely get it...

and please make sure you fill out the form for the dependent's visa and not the visitors... ask the people at the consulate for the correct forms and dirctions to fill them out...

we had to get our visitors canceled in order to get the dependent's visa... it was a smooth process and just took 3-4 days more...

all the best to you for eveything.

By Trupti Gandhi on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 7:28 pm:

another possibility might be to come along with your husband on visitor's visa, and get them changed to dependents while you are in japan... but pl. check before doing it as i do not know the procedure involved...


By s d on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 9:02 pm:

thanks a million trupti

im a bit worried u know coz ive heard that sometimes it takes 3-4 months to get a visa. i belong to delhi. n getting married in dec. then planning to move to japan with my hubby in jan.
i have done MBA in Human Resource from india. n now ive no clue wat ill b doing in japan. can u gimme any advice please?

By Amitto on Wednesday, September 7, 2005 - 1:04 am:

Dear Trupti,
r u sure that u got the dependent VISA in 3 days? I doubt about this. Normally it takes a month to get COE which can be later converted to DV in another weeks time.
Suggestion to take Tourist VISA and conert to Dependent is an easy way but NOW a practice which Japanese Immegration office marked as a bad practice and they can even restrict to issue any more tourist VISA let alone issuing the DV. I brought my wife in the same way and so the others but recently almoast all Indian companies got warning from Immigration office regarding this practice which can result a blanket ban on the company for issuence of any business visa.
So SD, please be careful. i know its a difficult period to live seprate but as per current situation, best way is to get ready the
1. VISA papers,
2. your court marriage papers and
3. your name on your husbands passport (take a day or two)

Apply for dependent VISA asap and wait for it.

Good Luck and best wishes for your marriage.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.