Return to
Japan With Kids Home Page

Forum Main Page
Keyword Search
New Posts
Last Week

Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Unmarried Parental Rights Foreigner

Japan With Kids - Forums: Immigration/visas/re-entry permits/naturalization: Unmarried Parental Rights Foreigner
By Parentalrights on Wednesday, February 5, 2014 - 10:01 pm:

I had a child with a Japanese woman one month ago. We have been together, but not married for 6 years. We live apart because of jobs, as is often the case in Japan.

I have lived in Japan 7 years with no legal troubles.
But I received a suspended sentence (1.5 year for a fight only yesterday.) I have not appealed the case.

My visa at this time is valid as a Humanities Specialist. It expires in March, but I am getting other offers for jobs at this time. I've never had a problem with getting a job in Japan. My resume is very good.

Because of this suspended sentence, the woman is jumping back and forth on getting married now. We were planning to marry before this problem. (Last November). I have never been in any legal trouble before.

I want to protect my parent rights.
I do not wish to leave Japan and run away from my responsibilities. I want to be a good father.

If an individual has strong ties to Japan and a valid visa status, he may be allowed to remain in Japan after receiving a suspended sentence, if a Japanese national acts as his sponsor with the Immigration authorities.

What does that mean, a Japanese national acting as a sponsor? Is that merely a valid working contract?

Certainly a child is a strong tie. I don't think there can be a stronger tie.

How can I protect my rights, and not be deported?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.