Return to
Japan With Kids Home Page

Forum Main Page
Keyword Search
New Posts
Last Week

Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Change of status rejected

Japan With Kids - Forums: Immigration/visas/re-entry permits/naturalization: Change of status rejected
By Shwetha on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 11:21 am:

I am on dependent visa. I had applied for change of status to specality in Humanities. But my application is rejected. The rejection letter says the document doesnt match. what does this mean? Should i re-apply. I am from engineering background. Could this be a reason for rejection?

By Anne Bergasse on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 11:53 am:

Not nearly enough information Shwetha to answer your question. I suggest you go the English information center at Immigration to get a clear understanding of what you are doing. You can acquire a list of documents needed for changing your status and they should also be able to tell you what your rejection letter means.

By Shwetha on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 1:52 pm:

I am sorry if my information was not clear enuf. I applied for a change of status to work full time. My new company was sponsoring me. I applied the documents at immigration office and after almost 3 months i get a rejection. One of my collegues suggested that the rejection could be because my education background is different from the job i was about to join.
Can I apply for permit to work part time for the same job?

By Anne Bergasse on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 2:35 pm:

When applying for a change of status, along with the company financial papers, registration, your original university degree and application forms, there are 3 letters of explanation required as well as a contract. Many people ignore the letters but they are quite important. One letter is from the company explaining why they want to hire you. If this letter is in English, the second letter is a version translated into Japanese. The third letter is you explaining why you want to work for the company. This can be in English - or your native language but will have more power if translated as well.

If your company is sponsoring you - it's their job to make sure that the contract is written to say what they are hiring you for and your background and education match the job - if they don't then the letter is their chance to say why they think immigration should still give you a visa.

Try again - submit full explanations - ask your company to talk with the officials at immigration - talk with the information center. If there is a way for immigration to give you a visa - they will.
Hope this helps. Anne

By gaijin2005 on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:18 pm:

Thank you very much for your advice. I plan to apply for work permission to engage in activity other than stated in the visa for time being. May be after a few months I can re-apply for change of status. Does this sound sensible?

By Anne Bergasse on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:24 pm:

Appyling for a visa to do anything other than what you are allowed to do under your dependant visa requires a change of status. Otherwise its a 'extension of status'. If you talk with the English counselling service at immigration, they should be able to help you figure out the best route for your visa needs.
Hope this helps. cheers, anne

By Cornelia on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 1:08 am:

I went to immigration in the Shinagawa boondocks this morning to get advice regarding a change of status application. The English speaking person at the help desk on the ground floor could only answer my questions up to a certain point. Then she directed me to speak to an immigration officer on the second floor in section D at window 5. Here there is no guarantee that English or any language other than Japanese will be spoken. The information I got was limited to what questions I was able to express and what answers I was able to understand in Japanese. Some of my questions were answered to my satisfaction (the relatively simple ones). The two somewhat more complicated questions... well I am still trying to puzzle it out. In the past I did once bring a translator along. It was a burden for my friend because some of the vocabulary is not every day vocabulary. The man seemed friendly, so no issues there, and he did know some of the English words that I resorted to. However, the same person does not work that window all day every day.

About the documents not matching... I think it is possible to have an application rejected because of clerical erros such as putting your address on the wrong line, or the company name on the contract being a bit different from the company name written in on the form. I was lucky once in that the guy who checked that I had all the right documents in the folder (for a visa renewal) told me that there was a blank that I had forgotten to fill in, and let me do it right there. If this is the case, then just resubmitting a corrected application with a letter of explanation (should be written in Japanese) should work.

I agree with Anne, that, in my experience at least, in general, they are more likely to be helpful than not helpful.

By Scott Hancock on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 1:14 am:

Seems that, with so much at stake in these matters, having someone with Japanese fluency makes a big difference. It also takes that much stress off the person behind the counter and I think probably increases chance of desired outcome.

I think the non-uniformed English speakers are volunteers and with the new location, it may be more difficult for them to get people to go out there.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.