Return to
Japan With Kids Home Page

Forum Main Page
Keyword Search
New Posts
Last Week

Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Short Term Visa Extension

Japan With Kids - Forums: Immigration/visas/re-entry permits/naturalization: Short Term Visa Extension
By Satheesh Hari on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 5:39 pm:

I came on a temporary visitor visa (3 months) to meet my brother and sister-in-law in Tokyo. I want to extend my stay for one more month. I am from India. How to do? When i contacted Shinagawa IB, one old guy adviced me to go to singapore/hongkong and apply for a new temporary visit visa. Another lady said impossible, go back....

By Patty Adams on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 7:15 pm:

Hi Satheesh,

Go to the immigration bureau and get an application form for visa extension and the list of requirements. Its on the 2nd floor.

To save some trips to the immigration you can call them for the list of requirements and complete it before going there.

You have to do this at least a week before your visa expires.
It is uncertain wheteher you will get an extension or not but it will all depends on your reason for extension.

All my relatives that I have extended was granted 90 days more each time and most of our reason is health related.


By Trupti Gandhi on Thursday, February 2, 2006 - 11:51 am:


I know pepole who have tried doing it being here in japan and have been rejected... i have heard that authorities allow such extensions only if the person concerned is not physically able to travel... please do tell us if you succeed... i know of people going to the closest destinations like seoul and pusan and getting a new visa and coming back to japan...

By Satheesh Hari on Thursday, February 2, 2006 - 3:31 pm:

Patty and Trupti, thanks for the messages. I contacted shingawa guys again. At first seeing me, he gave me a form and asked to go upstairs and apply as soon as possible. But when he found out that i am from india, his face got dim and informed that india is not in the extension-ok list. He adviced me to go to some other country and jump back. I just took closer to reality - if my citizenship is a problem here then what will be the situation in kimchiland. He got the idea and gave me advice similar to Patty to find a medical excuse.

The thing is i just need one more month to visit an obachan (my grand mother in law) at wakayama and spend some time with her. Patty can give a hint of a possible medical excuse? Further is a medical certificate or doctor certification needed while applying?

By Patty Adams on Friday, February 3, 2006 - 4:09 am:

Hi Sateesh,

I didnt know there is a ruling like that at the immigration. In that case we are on a different boat since I am not from India.

Anyway, this is my case : My japanese husband invited my sisters, brother,my sister in law and my mother(one at a time) to visit us here in tokyo and do some sightseeing. Few weeks before the initial 90 days visa expires we extend them.For the following reasons:

1. It was my first pregnancy and due in 2 months so I need some support/advice from my elder sister.

2. I just gave birth so I need my mother to help me take care of my first baby.

3. Its my second pregnancy and so I need my sister to help me take care of my first child who is still a baby then.

4. I go to work so I need somebody to take care of my babies until April when they can already go to the nursery.(in february)

5. I go to work and my children got Asthma and so I need somebody to take care of them at home when they can't go to nursery.I cant stop working until my contract expires in 2 months.

6.I had a minor operation.I need help at home.

7.I had symptoms of depression and I needed to rest a while.

So in my cases it was not the person seeking VISA who is sick but the inviting person's family member.

In the first case I brought with me a medical certificate but I was told it is not needed, and returned the paper back to me.So the next time I did not bring any. Anyway, it is better to bring one if you have.

The reason for extension is handwritten by my husband in japanese.I think that counts a lot. Japanese never doubt another japanese' honesty.

By Cornelia on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:20 am:

I want to reiterate the last sentence in Patty's post above. If you have a Japanese national as advocate on your application, your chances are greatly improved. Especially if that person can accompany you to immigration. I think just easing the communication process has an enormous influence.

I recently saw how this worked with Yamila with her extension request (due to her required appearance at court in her battle to win back her kidnapped daughter). The extension could easily have been made for another 90 days, but because the person with her was not sensitive to all the issues, the person insisted that the extension was only needed until the next court date. And that was precisely the amount of time her visa was extended. Make sure your Japanese advocate is on your side and someone you can trust!

By Wongwelly on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 5:08 pm:

I am new here but just couldn't help reading all the priceless info. I have a Japanese girlfriend, we are planning to visit Japan in 22 Dec'07 (a week from now) to get to know her other side of family. We also have marriage plan in place on August'08.
This time I'm going with 15 days visitor visa that's hardly earned by having to leave the country where I'm living back to my home country. In order not to to go through the same route again, I wonder whether I can apply for a new visa when I'm in Japan for returning in August to conduct marriage. To apply for re-entry permit would be out of option, considering my 'super short' period visa.
Thank you.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.