Return to
Japan With Kids Home Page

Forum Main Page
Keyword Search
New Posts
Last Week

Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

PR Resident: Taxation vs. Immigration

Japan With Kids - Forums: Immigration/visas/re-entry permits/naturalization: PR Resident: Taxation vs. Immigration
By Mikefoster99 on Saturday, August 4, 2007 - 3:54 am:

I have a working visa in Japan (from teaching English) and a domicile, so I'm a permanet resident for tax purposes. But humanities visa which expires soon.

I have two companies, one in Japan which exports motorbikes, and one in the UK which sells motorbikes. The UK company pays a "finders fee" for each motorbike exported to the Japan company. The Japan company pays me a salary. Then I pay my income tax in Japan (cheaper than UK). I'm in the UK less than 183 days, so I'm a non resident. Japan company is really a filing cabinet company as I have an agent who finds the bikes for me.

My visa expires soon, and I don't feel like finding another sponsor in Japan. I realise there are investor/business visas, etc. My question is:

1. Do I need to have a Work Visa to be considered a Resident for Tax Purposes?

2. Does anybody know the formula for tax deductions in individual income tax - not the 380,000 yen, but the first box .. has a formula I can't work out.

By Edosteve on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 3:18 pm:

I'm not an expert, but you should be able to sponsor yourself on a self-sponsored visa. Depending on where you are, you may want to contact the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau in Shinagawa for details.

BTW, you don't need to have a work visa to be considered a resident for tax purposes. I believe the requirement is related to the length of time you spend in the country, not the type of visa you have.

By Edosteve on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 3:21 pm:

Oh yeah, as for your tax question, have you tried the NTA website?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.