Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Destination: Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara

Japan With Kids - Forums: Moving to and Leaving Japan: Moving To Japan: Destination: Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara
By Mrs. Pat Evans on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 7:29 am:

Hi My son is 16 and will be heading to Japan this July or August for a year long student exchange. Having never been to Japan and not familiar with its customs we are asking for assistance in everything. Is there internet access? should he bring his own computer? cost of buying clothing and/or school uniforms? what things should he bring? What should he know? Anything pertaining to everyday living would be appreciated.

By Scott Hancock on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 8:13 pm:

How exciting for him!
Not only is there internet access, but we have some of the best and most reasonable connections. Though, it will depend on the home he stays in. If he has a laptop, bringing it would be a good idea. But, do not bring a full-size one as space is usually tight in Japanese homes.

There are many books and internet sites about living customs in Japan, so a visit to the bookstore, libraray and/or Google will provide much reading about that. However, even after absorbing it, don't feel too nervous about "performing". The most that would be expected comes down to very similar considerations as at home.

As for buying clothing, more than cost, the sizes might be smaller than are suitable, if he's at all big. He should come with all of that done. Uniforms depend on the school I would think that would be communicated in advance.

There will probably be many occasions when he'll receive small gifts as a result of being a kind of "special guest". In order to be prepared for some measure or reciprocity, taking along a supply of small items representative of his home school or locale is a good idea. Talking about things of $1.00 or $5.00 value like pens, patches, etc. Just tokens of his home country will be very well received on the many times he'll be helped by new friends. Having 50 of such things for a year would not be too many.

Start now learning even a little Japanese (or maybe he's already an advanced student!). A little goes a LONG way. Making the effort is appreciated.

That's my .02. There is tons more out there.
Scott

By Heather Seyl Miyashita on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 8:48 pm:

I'm also from Canada! (however, nowhere near the age for school exchanges!) When I did travel as a student though, I went to my City Hall and they supplied me with free pins etc representing Dawson Creek.
Hope it helps. Heather

By Michael D. Ronketty on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 6:27 pm:

Yes, they have the internet there and it is pretty fast to.
However, clothes and uniforms will be hard to find in the right size considering how short the Japanese are. Might want to get all his close and junk before he gets there, unless he's like, really short or something.

はい、 それらにインタ・#91;ネットがそこにあり、にかなり速くある。
但し、 衣服及びユニフォ・#91;ムは短い日本人がいかにあるか考慮する右のサイズで見つけにくい。 彼がそこに着く前に終わり及びがらくたはすべて彼の得たいと思うかもしれない、 彼がのようでなければ、 実際に不足分または何か。

By justin klip on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 11:20 pm:

Does anyboday know if there is a similar site for Osaka. We are moving shortly to Osaka and would like to buy some second hand stuff over there. However I only see Tokyo area related mail.
Does anybody know if 1800 usd is enough for housing near Osaka and where are the expat areas. We require min. 3 bedrooms.

By Erin Siddall on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 10:24 pm:

Also looking for same information... although my husband and I found a 3 bedroom online near Osaka Castle (in Japanese) for about 1000USD a month (7 months required up front), although definately would be smallish rooms. , so you should be albe to find something in your price range.

I have found a few leads on the Kansai Time Out website.

But would still like to learn where a nice place to live in central Osaka with a family, accessible to Osaka station area for work.

Anyone?

By Joe Larsen on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 9:23 am:

Hello: Sorry not to answer sooner.
The best places to live in Kansai are actually not in Osaka, but in Nishinomiya, Ashiya and Kobe. The Kurakuen area of Nishinomiya, anywhere in Ashiya, and the Mikage and Kitano areas of Kobe are the best, IMO. They are also pricey, of course, in general but, due to the high vacency rate, bargains can be found and I think you will be able to find a place in the price range you mention.

Kitano is probably a little on the far side for commuting to Osaka but the others are within 20-30 minutes by train. Proximity to a JR station will be better as it's faster to Osaka.

If English is a requirement, you might try the 'Ginza' agency in Ashiya (they advertise in Kansai Time Out magazine). http://www.ginzado.biz/englishtop.html

They mention "luxury real estate" and the places they show on their site are
expensive but given the poor state of the real estate business these days, I would
imagine they'd be willing to show you cheaper places, too. Kansai Time Out is here: http://www.kto.co.jp
Hope this helps. Joe

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: