Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Shipping Things to Japan

Japan With Kids - Forums: Moving to and Leaving Japan: Moving To Japan: Shipping Things to Japan
By Pato on Friday, April 8, 2005 - 6:09 pm:

From the USA there is a great way to send books:

US Post Office
M-bags (Direct Sacks of Printed Matter to a Single Addressee) May contain Books and Sheet Music and Publisher’s Periodicals. (1 pound = 0.45kg)

Airmail M-bags
Taiwan/Japan Weight Not Over 11.0 pounds = 4.95 kg $38.50
Each additional pound or fraction of pound $3.50

Economy (Surface) M-bags
Taiwan/Japan Weight Not Over 11.0 pounds = 4.95 kg $11
Each additional pound or fraction of pound $1

I'm think M-bags are available in reverse (from Japan back to the USA). Does anyone know?

By Traci on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 9:33 am:

Does anyone know if an American gas grill will work in Japan? We can't bring the propane canisters with us, of course. We wondered if these are available in Japan? And if so, will they work with our grill
TIA for your help
Traci

By Scott Hancock on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 10:01 am:

Grill can work.
There is at least one local supplier who can adapt the grill to Japanese gas tanks. Cost is about $250, though, including the purchase of the tank.

I can post the name & number later.

By Leese Johnson on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 10:08 am:

Can't you just get an adaptor?

By Scott Hancock on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 12:04 pm:

You are thinking of an adaptor from the grill to the Japanese regulator/tank? This is basically what is done. The grills I've seen have a hose from the burner to a regulator made for the country the grill was sold in. This regulator gets taken off. And what one gets here is a Japanese regulator and tank.

The system seems to be that you own the tank & regulator. The regulator is sort of a "set" with the tank and regulator particular to Japan.

For grill I just had done last week, I also had them put a "quick disconnect" set of fittings between the hose from the grill and the regulator. This wasy, the slightly heavy (10kg) tank can be moved separately from the grill and reattached easily. This added a few thousand yen.

The place I used is Toho Propane (03-3467-6341). Very limited English, but maybe possible; in Japanese is better.

Rought costs were:
For 5kg tank
11,000 for tank purchase
2,800 for gas
2,000 initial fee
~5,000 for parts/attachments
For 8kg tank
13,000 for tank purchase
3,000 for gas
others same

In the case I did, it came to 28,000 or so. After that you just need the gas fill-up, though.

Notice that one becomes the proud owner of a gas tank which must be disposed or given away when one leaves.

By Traci on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 12:49 pm:

Wow! Maybe we could just buy a grill in Japan? It must be cheaper. Does anyone know what a medium sized one would cost?

At any rate, thanks for all the info on adapting. I will talk it over w/my husband. We are moving to Yokohama so would want to find a local supplier obviously.
Again, thanks for the specifics and cost.

Traci

By Scott Hancock on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 2:03 pm:

Gas grills are not nearly as popular here as in the U.S.. I have to go to the "Home Depot"-like place soon, so I'll check it out. Could be that even buying one here, requires buying the tank at the above cost.

Has anyone bought a gas grill in Japan?

How about old-fashioned charcoal? Bring an Weber...

By Nancy on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 3:29 pm:

They sell grills at Costco. I have never taken much notice as we were not about to buy one but I recall seeing a large Weber (that uses charcoal). It seems charcoal is popular here. They also had one or two that appear to use propane.

Traci, there is a COSTCO in Yokohama. That's the one I go to. They also sell charcoal grills at the home centers here.

By Cathy Edwards on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 3:46 pm:

A month ago Costco did have a mid size gas BBQ they were selling for Y60,000. They also have the large Weber for Y10,000 which are currently sold out but expecting to have their new shipment on the shelves at the end of the week.
We have just been through the "BBQ drama" as our gas one got damaged and is no longer usable. We went for a Weber as this is probably our last summer here.
Because of that we now have a locally purchased gas bottle and all the fittings that we would be happy to sell on.
Cheers
Cathy

By Pato on Monday, October 31, 2011 - 9:29 pm:

M bags from Japan to other countries for mailing books are definitely cheaper than regular mail tariffs. You can also choose airmail, SAL and surface!:

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/english/fee/intel/sal_mbags.html

PS The United States Postal Service eliminated surface mail and surface airlift as mailing options in 2007. M bags are still available but only as airmail.
https://www.usps.com/send/airmail-mbags.htm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: