Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Considering a job in Tokyo

Japan With Kids - Forums: Moving to and Leaving Japan: Moving To Japan: Considering a job in Tokyo
By gaminirathnatissa on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 7:04 pm:

I am gamini
from sri lanka.
I am a teacher, and my wife allso a teacher. we can teach english.
we wants to traval japan, and work there. how am i strart ?

By Linda Gondo on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 8:54 am:

Dear Gamini,
I don't mean to sound negative, however most English language conversation schools prefer to employ native speakers. This is certainly true of the big chains such as NOVA and BERLITZ, although perhaps at some of the smaller schools they aren't so rigorous in this aspect. I do think it is fairly rare though.

On the other hand, your wife may have more success in finding work as an assistant teacher at one of the international preschools. In my daughter's classes at the preschools she has previously attended, quite a few of the assistants have been non native speakers, mostly Japanese and occasionally Filipino.

Visas are another major issue. Do as much research into this as you can. Sorry I can't really give you much helpful advice in this regard, it is not an area of expertise.

All the very best with finding work. Good luck!

By sunshine on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 11:02 am:

Dear Gamini,
I agree with linda, here its very difficult to get a english teaching job as yr not a native speaker... here only native speakers are consider as English teachers. meantime if you have a degree in English teaching there are chances of 5% cause to proceed with the immigration you should have a degree to get a working visa.
As linda says your wife may be able to get a work in a preschool but they will never sponsor cause they prefer to take volunteers or non native speakers for less salary for example 750 y to 850 y per hour who have the dependent and spouse visas.(meantime native speakers are pd 2500y to 3000y) Hope this info helps anyway wish u 2 all the best.

By Daryl King on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 4:40 am:

Hi, This is my first post. My company are talking to me about a job in Tokyo. Initial question is will we find somewhere to live that will accept our dog? We also have one 7 year old child and a young baby, so where do we need to be to be close to the english school?
any all advice/experiences welcome. thanks, Daryl

By Julie Hansberry on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 4:26 am:

Daryl,
We are relocating to Tokyo and just completed our look-see, house-hunting trip. We didn't seem to have any trouble finding housing that acccepted pets, although larger dogs may be an issue with some property owners. As for schools, there are many international schools to choose from. Check out the section on this site and research all the schools...don't pick one until you have visited...they all offer different options. This is our 2nd overseas assignment (our first being Bangkok) and think Tokyo will be a great posting.

By Jillann Grooms on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 8:38 pm:

Daryl,
We are a family of 5 moving to Tokyo in July from Florida. Our kids are 6,8 and 12 and we have decided on the American School to minimize too big a change. We have 5 pets but after many long hours of discussion, have decided to leave them in great homes with relatives. It is definetly possible to bring pets, but our dog is big and old and it does seem cruel to subject her to such a change. If she were younger, it would be easier to bring her.
I also believe your housing options may be more limited as we found out when we were there in March looking. Housing with pets is available, just limits you a bit more.
Overall, if your company gives you good benefits to come, it seems like Tokyo will be a great experience! Good luck!

By Leese Johnson on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 9:52 pm:

We just moved in a few months ago with our large dog. Our real estate agent found the apartment for us but it was one of several. Most were not in as nice condition as non-pet places. The one we found was very clean and works well for us. It is more difficult but if you are persistent you'll find something. Most of the places here do not have a yard or if they do it is a very small one. Our apartment does not. So our day has a number of walks around the block in it.

Jillann makes a good point about the pet itself. With the new quarantine law you must plan ahead or your pet will be quarantined a long time. It can be a difficult journey from the US by air so you'll want to think if your dog can take that. Check out the quarantine laws here so you can start the procedure. It takes about 6 months or longer. http://www.maff-aqs.go.jp/english/ryoko/newquarantine-eng/quarantinesystem/import/dog-cat.htm

We homeschool so can't give you info on schools except to second what Julie said. Check them out on the web and visit them. You'll want to find a place to live near transportation to both school and work.
We are happy to be here and are glad we took this assignment.
leese

By Keiko Sato on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 10:50 pm:

Hello Gamini,

My name is Keiko Sato and I work at Japanese-Experts.com where we help people like you from overseas to live and work in Japan.

If you need any help after you try all the methods to live your dream of moving to Japan, contact us.

We help with finding jobs, relocation to Japan, helping with daily living as a foreigner in Japan, and help you with any details you might have.

Happy to hear from you!

Keiko

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: