Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Destination: Ohta, Japan

Japan With Kids - Forums: Moving to and Leaving Japan: Moving To Japan: Destination: Ohta, Japan
By sarah kenney on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 3:40 am:

I am impressed with the discussion here. Maybe someone can help me. For the last 4 months, I believed we were moving to Tokyo. We leave in August and now the location has changed to Ohta, Japan. It is apparently 1 1/2 hour train ride NW of Tokyo. Does anyone know what it is like living there? I was so looking forward to living in Tokyo because I like big cities. I have only been researching Tokyo so I don't know anything about the countryside. What will it be like living in a small village? No one seems to have heard of Ohta. I'm not even positive I am spelling it correctly. I feel like I am going to isolated in a small village with my 2 children in a house instead of in a large city in an apartment. Any information out there available would be so appreciated. How do people buy groceries? Do people walk alot or is everything done by car? What are the houses like?

Thanks in advance,
Sarah (one stressed out mom)

By Cornelia on Saturday, September 8, 2001 - 12:46 am:

Hi Sarah,
How old are your children? There is extensive information about education under that topic at:
http://www.tokyowithkids.com/discussions/messages/151/151.html

Chances are that living expenses will be lower there than in Tokyo, for example you will be able to rent more space for less money. Sorry to take so longer to answer your plea... I have been in the USA for my annual summer migration. In the countryside most people have cars, (think of Tokyo as being like Manhattan...) but you'll see a lot of bicycles too! (see http://www.tokyowithkids.com/features/momsinfastlane.html Here in Tokyo I shop every day for just 3-6 items since my refridgerator is minuscule. But you might have a much larger apartment and refridgerator which would allow you to buy larger quantities (so you might need a car just to carry your groceries!)

There are a lot of English speaking families living in Chiba Prefecture (I am also not clear on where "Ohta" is, perhaps you could get the company to give you a mailing address?)

Don't panic. This is a very civilized place and people are generally helpful.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: