Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Breast pump and other baby stuff..

Japan With Kids - Forums: Moving to and Leaving Japan: Moving To Japan: Breast pump and other baby stuff..
By Miaburman on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:28 pm:

I am pregnant and moving to Tokyo.

I am allready confused with all new baby tings, and now even more confused when we are moving to Tokyo.

I want to buy a Avent breast pump, but I understand that brand does not exist in Japan?
Should I buy a local pump instead, or should I buy everything here and stock up with bottles?

Is there anything else I should bring to my future baby?

By Edlyn on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:55 pm:

I already had my children when we moved to Japan but the friends I know who had them here (both Japanese and American) were discouraged from breast feeding so I get the impression it is not as common here. I would definitely recommend bringing anything that will support your own decision to breast feed including a pump, shields, lanosil (I believe that is what it is called) for sore nipples. You may also want to bring a little formula just in case but formula is readily available here and I am sure your doctor will tell you not to introduce formula or food too soon in case your baby takes a liking to it. I am a big advocate for breast feeding and hope that you are able to find enough support here. There is a La Leche league in Tokyo so you might check with them.

Beyond that, if you are planning for the baby to sleep in a crib you might consider bringing one. I found the cribs here strange as they are not too common and had some weird contraption that I felt was unsafe. I would say that if you can affford it everything else is available here. Strollers, clothes, diapers, baby carriers. There are quite a number of options as far as carriers.

One thing I would recommend is a good baby care book. One I found useful was called Caring for your Baby from Birth to Five years. It has lots of useful information like when to call the doctor and how to treat some illnesses at home. I would ask a friend for a referal on a good book.

Good luck with the move!

By Koalamama on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:36 am:

The breastpumps available in the major department stores and baby stores are very poor quality and hurt the nipples.

I strongly recommend Medela and I hear Avent is very good. It may be cheaper in Britain as I believe it is a British brand. I bought my Medela pump online for about 6500yen. It is the Harmony hand operated pump. I dont need it very often. If you plan to pump often or return to work early you will probably need a good quality electric pump. I believe hospital grade pumps can be hired here but its expensive.

I definitely second the LLL as being a great resource and the Australian Breastfeeding Association website is also a great source of info. They sell a book called Breastfeeding....Naturally which is the bible of breastfeeding. Like our home countries there are a lot of myths and old wives tales out there about breastfeeding. I think most women give it a go but many supplement with formula as they are led to believe they have a low supply. Hospital practice of routinely topping up with formula and schedule feeding doesnt help. Do heaps of research BEFORE your baby is born and come armed with all the info you need to do it YOUR way.

Good Luck with the baby and the big move!

By Miaburman on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:44 am:

I am very new at this forum, so I hope I can write back to you here?

Thanks for all your help. I will now stock up with pumps and bottles and nipple creams and all I need for the baby before I go!

Thanks again! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: