Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Accommodation in Japan

Japan With Kids - Forums: Traveling to/from and in Japan: Accommodation in Japan

By Pato on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 10:34 am:

There is a web site that lists hotels in order of price and then can make reservations:

http://www.e-hoteljapan.com/#

Languages: English, Chinese, Japanese

It's tricky to find right location though especially for very large city such as Tokyo. Also remember that when they offer a "single" for Y5000 per night, it will be really small by American/western standards. Also some of the addresses are not romanized in a standard way:
Example: IRIYA STATION HOTEL
1-25-1 iriya daitouku, Tokyo city, Tokyo, Japan
This would maybe be more correctly given as:
1-25-1 Iriya, Taito-ku, Tokyo, Japan

By Karen on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 4:43 pm:

Hey! The Iriya Station Hotel! Now there's a classy joint - right in my neighbourhood. Best not to go out for an evening stroll around there though...

Tongue FIRMLY in cheek,

Karen
Up near the 'hood'!

By Caroline on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 11:02 am:

Looking for short-term accomodation for my parents (about 1 month) around JR Kichijoji station or Keio Inokashira koen station. We simply don't have the space... They are 74 years old and this would be their 3rd trip to Japan. They speak French and Spanish but my mom can communicate in English and basic Japanese. The dates are not set yet, but most likely in the fall. Please call 0422-20-7553 or e-mail me at carolinegalan@yahoo.com
Caroline

By Caroline on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 7:22 am:

Just to add to my previous posting: by accomodation, I mean very affordable hotel or monthly rent type appartment, or even sublet. Must be in or around Kichijoji. Thanks.

By Anne on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 10:48 pm:

Hi,

I am looking for a nice, quiet hotel to relax with my husband and pamper ourselves, not too far from Tokyo where we will let our 32 month-old boy alone with his nanny for the first time. We really need to take a break, just the two of us, with no kids around, for a weekend end of June. Any sugestion?

Price not an issue but the Hotel, Onsen or Ryokan must be reached either by car from Tokyo (maximum 2h00 drive, including trafic jam) or Train.

Thank you very much

Anne

By Yuko Kubota on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 9:00 am:

Anne,

Since it will be the rainy season, yet a good time for sansai edible wild plants and fresh fish from the rivers, you'd probably want to go to the mountains rather than the sea. That I suppose means Izu-kogen, Hakone, Karuizawa or Nasu area.

I don't have any recommendable experiences in hotels, but we have a house in Nasu and go there all the time. It's easy access on the Shinkansen, and in June, the traffic jam won't be too harsh on the Tohokudo. Even if there is a jam, the scenery from the Tohokudo is not bad and can even be better if you chose to drive on the ordinary roads after passing Utsunomiya. If you live in the northern part of Tokyo, I think you could get there within 2 hrs drive. We're in Yokohama and it takes about 3 hrs at night (but we speed). You can also rent a car at Nasu-shiobara Station.

Nasu has treats for children like Highland (theme) Park or Minamigaoka Bokujo and Doubutsu Oukoku where both your child and nanny can play with animals, and there are many sophisticated places to have lunch or tea or exquisite milk.

I did a quick internet check on "zeitaku na ryokan (luxurious ryokan)" and found this link collection.
http://www3.zero.ad.jp/~aranchan/mylink.htm
The Sansuikaku of Nasu shown in the link seems pretty good, and I know that it's located in a very convenient yet peaceful part of Nasu.
http://www.sansuikaku.com/index.html

If you ever decide to go to Nasu, I can give you more details on the area.

By Anne on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 5:56 pm:

Dear Yuko,

Thanks for the information, The Sansuikaku of Nasu looks very beautiful and relaxing, unfortunatly I cannot read Japanese but I thought that it will be busy for the Saturday 26 June (I might have completly misunderstood). I will try to search "Nasu" on the JNTO web site in english.
Many Thanks,
Anne

By Yuko Kubota on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 6:45 pm:

Dear Anne,

You're right! All saturdays are fully booked except for the 5th which still is tight. And I'm sorry that their website is only in Japanese, but I thought that the photos might give you an idea. Perhaps you can try calling them to see if they usually have cancelations or something (maybe not though).

Also, I don't know about Nasu, but I tend to find cheaper rates in travel agencies' package tours instead of booking directly to the hotels. And I forgot to add that pensions can be nice too. They're not as luxurious and have less privacy, but you can enjoy a family-run atmosphere and home-made cooking.

Anyway, I hope you find something nice, and post again if you need assistance in reading Japanese on websites.

By Bethan Hutton on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 8:31 pm:

You could try the Fujiya Hotel in Hakone - the main building is a magnificent Meiji Era mixture of Japanese and Western style, and it has lovely gardens, swimming pools, good restaurants and so on. I went there with my parents in law a couple of years ago, and we all loved it. It is easily accessible on the Odakyu Romance Car train from Shinjuku to Hakone Yumoto, then you change for a few stops onto a picturesque local mountain train.

It is also one of the few Japanese hotels in the area to market specifically to foreigners, and sometimes does special rates for foreigners. There are also plenty of English speaking staff if you need them.

The website is: http://www.fujiyahotel.co.jp/english/index.html

The hotel I am talking about is the top one on the page - the chain has several other branches in the area, but none of them have quite the history and atmosphere of the original Fujiya.

By Anne on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 11:15 pm:

Dear Yuko and Bethan,

Thanks to your information I found a web site for making reservations in English for Japanese Ryokans:Japanese Guest Houses
http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/index.htm

Does anyone has already tested this service ?

Thanks
Anne

By Karen on Saturday, June 5, 2004 - 9:31 am:

Apartment in central Tokyo available for a one-week to one-month sublet between July 5th and August 5th. Our apartment is bright, clean, and modern and has 2 bedrooms, a fully equipped kitchen, living and dining room. It is about 65 meters square. Hardwood floors. We have plenty of toys and children are welcome. The place is fully furnished.

We are a 5 minute walk from Minami Senju Station, which is on both the Hibiya subway line and the JR Joban line. 33 minutes to Shibuya. 7 minutes to Ueno. 18 minutes to Ikebukuro. 5 minutes to Nippori. 11 minutes to Akasaka. Very convenient location.

Our neighbourhood is quite traditional and is a nice chance to experience old Japan while still being in central Tokyo.

Very reasonable rental rate depends on your length of stay, starting from 20,000 yen.

This would be a nice apartment for a traveling family or parents/grandparents coming to visit Tokyo. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

By Joann on Sunday, July 4, 2004 - 1:04 am:

Does anybody have any suggestions for a hotel near Shinjuku or Nakano that will have rooms large enough for 2 adults and 2 kids (ages 6 and 9) to all share the room together? In the USA this wouldn't be a problem but I am having trouble finding out if there is any kind of accommodation like this in Nakano or Shinjuku from the hotel web sites.
Western-style would be preferable - we are arriving in Tokyo on the 2nd and moving into an apartment on the 4th. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By Yuko Kubota on Sunday, July 4, 2004 - 7:41 am:

Why not inquire by email through the websites you've spotted? I'm sure you're not the only one traveling with a family of four, and some of the larger hotels will probably be able to arrange a junior suite or the like. Or at least they can arrange one extra bed, and your smallest child can share a bed. But August is a crowded season, so hurry for reservations. And welcome to Japan.

By tim aarons on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:41 pm:

Hi Guys

Does anyone if I can book a room for the Iriya Station hotel online or if they take email bookings?

Thanks Tim

By Martin Pfohl on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 4:19 am:

Minnasan hello!
I was wondering if someone would be willing to rent me an affordable space in thier place, or possibly reccomend a place to stay for about 1-2 weeks in January or februaury '05. Greater Tokyo-Kanagawa Ken would be best, although I'm open to other areas. I am clean, normal, and quiet, just looking for someplace to sleep ,or new friend to make possibly, in my next visit! Pls. feel free to reply via my SN or at MPRL290@yahoo.com
Arigato Gozaimasu!

By Gail Tan on Friday, December 3, 2004 - 9:36 pm:

My family of 5, 2 adults and 3 kids (aged 3, 6 and 10) will be in Tokyo from 9 Dec to 15 Dec 2004. We need help on getting budget accomodation for 5 persons.

By Spikey on Friday, December 3, 2004 - 10:22 pm:

Gail,
We just got back from Tokyo a month ago. I would suggest the toyoko inn chain of minimum service hotels. Dbl rooms are about Sing$135 a night. You can book the rooms on their website.

By Linda Gondo on Saturday, December 4, 2004 - 8:01 am:

Those looking for accommodation in central Tokyo: Children's Castle on Aoyama dori has hotel accommodation and conference rooms on some of the higher floors. Five minutes walk from Omotoesando station and ten minutes walk from Shibuya station. I am not sure of the latest prices, however it is supposed to be extremely good value. If you have kids, then you get the added benefit of being able to use the play facilities: music and percussion centre where they have daily concerts and on weekends these are almost hourly, play hall, ball park, tricycles on the roof area, video center, an art center where kids can paint and do crafts etc. There is also a restaurant on the ground floor which has children's meals. Important note: all the play facilities are closed Mondays, however I assume the hotel is still open.

By julie b. on Saturday, December 4, 2004 - 8:24 am:

hello,
I m looking for a room to rent for a french couple , about 8 days , beginning of february, around shibuya area (sangenjaya, yutenji...)
Any informations are welcome!

thanks,
julie.

By Gaijinmom on Saturday, December 4, 2004 - 8:43 am:

An alternative to regular hotels could be a "love hotels". There are a lot of these around Shibuya Station -- much cheaper, some are on quiet streets. I pass by them all the time going toward Shibuya station -- rates are around Yen 6500 per day.

By Bethan Hutton on Saturday, December 4, 2004 - 10:31 am:

The problem with love hotels is that you usually can't check in for an overnight stay until very late in the evening - after the peak period for their usual client base of short-stay "rest" users. I think if you want to use the room from earlier it will cost you much more than Y6,500.

By Sandy Cox on Saturday, December 4, 2004 - 1:01 pm:

I stayed a couple of times in a love hotel out at Taito beach on the Bozo Hanto back in my pre-motherhood days. Out in the country side we were allowed to check in as early at 10:00 pm for the overnight rate, and had to check out by 10:00am but the manager was not too strict. That was Y5000. So we saved Y1000 over the local minjukan which was Y3000 per person, and the facility was much nicer with a proper TV, proper western style bed, decent sized tub (ignore the waterproof matte next to it) and some instant coffee and tea bags. But you can't keep luggage there for a whole week, it really only works if you are traveling very lightly. We did this on the weekend twice, and I got the feeling that they were happy to just get the room filled. We did get some smiles because we were two girls. And I know for a fact that children would not be appropriate. ;-)

By Wayne Chang on Saturday, January 1, 2005 - 11:18 am:

Hi There,

Needs suggestions on where to stay in Tokyo. Travelling with two kids (ages 4 and 2). Staying for about 3-4 days. Heard about the kid's castle. Has anyone stayed there? Is it reasonably priced? Is the Ueno area a good play to stay? There seems to be some green space and lots of parks. Feedback would be appreciated.

By Sally Tominaga on Sunday, March 6, 2005 - 2:51 pm:

Hello,

My parents are coming for a visit very soon and with not much spare time to thoroughly research I was wondering if anyone, from personal experience, could reccommend a Japanese style ryokan or hotel in the Hakone area. Something in the mid price range (up to jpy12,000 per person) would be great and it must be child friendly (2 yo and a 7 mo). If you have visited Hakone and know of any `must see` sights or onsens any input is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Sally

By Bethan Hutton on Monday, March 7, 2005 - 8:54 am:

The Fujiya hotel I mentioned above is good, and I have stayed there with children. Most of the rooms are Western style but I think there might be a few tatami rooms and the hotel itself is a mix of Japanese/Western architecture and has lovely Japanese-style gardens. I can't remember now how much we paid, but I think you should be able to get rooms there for Y12,000 per person (ie Y24,000 for a double room) mid week, and weekends unless it's peak cherry blossom season, Golden Week or another public holiday. They used to have an offer of US$100 per night, but I haven't seen that advertised recently.

By Kudos Japan on Monday, March 7, 2005 - 9:08 am:

The fourth annual Kudos Travel Fair is being held on Saturday March 12 this year at Toranomon Pastoral, a minute from Kamiyacho station and a short walk from Tokyo American Club.

Recognised as a major event in the international community calendar, this has become a great family day out.

For Tokyo with Kids community, this is an opportunity to enjoy a day out, to collect information in English for your 2005 travel plans, and the chance to win fabulous prizes.

Information is available for all your favorite destinations from Australia to USA to Europe, SE Asia and many more, and a specially expanded section on Japanese destinations and attractions including great value packages on JR East.

Great prizes will be given away throughout the day Einternational airline tickets, hotel stays and more. This year again, thanks to the generosity of Kudos partners, airline tickets sponsors include Virgin Atlantic, United Airlines, Northwest Airlines, and Qantas Holidays.

There are many fabulous prizes to be won. But you must be in the room to win. Be sure to bring your meishi (name card).

Admission to Kudos Travel Fair is FREE and open to all. Open from 10:30 to 16:00. DOOR PRIZES for the first 50 visitors.

Parking is available. For a map to the location, please visit www.jp-kudos.com.

By Lisa on Tuesday, March 8, 2005 - 2:48 pm:

Sally,
Last year we stayed at Hatago Ichinoyu ryokan in Sengokuhara. Their website in English is:
http://english.ichinoyu.co.jp/index.html . It's not the Fujiya, but we really enjoyed our stay there.

The staff was very foreign and child-friendly and explained in detail how to use a Japanese onsen. It snowed the night we stayed, and it was lovely to sit in the outside rotemburo and watch the snow fall. I would advise you to check in early to book the bath for private use if you feel your guests would rather not share the bath with others.

The Sengokuhara location is a bit out of the way but very close to the 3D Dinosaur World, if you have any dinosaur enthusiasts like I do. Ichinoyu has other locations around Hakone, including one that's opening soon.

We've been to Hakone a few times, and basically there is a circuit consisting of a bus ride, boat ride, cable car rides and another train ride back to the original starting point, with several points of interest on the loop. You can find out more from the Odakyu Tourist Information Service, where you can purchase a Hakone free pass.

Have a nice trip!

By john onyskin on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 4:06 pm:

Folks visiting kumamoto and looking for a cheap place to stay.We have
two empty rooms(one large & one small)available for
backpackers,students,etc...We ask 2,000 yen a night and with longer
stays of course we can make it cheaper.We have futons,blankets,pillows
and we`re a five minute walk from kumamoto station.Okasan also has been
know to make dinner and breakfast for our guest before.Here the numbers
(096)352-5958(japanese)and(096)355-1335(english)or email us...So people
looking for a cheap alternative---here ya go..

By Geraldine H on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 8:52 pm:

Hello!
I am planning to spend 5 days on Kume Island in Okinawa at the end of the month with my 2 year old. Does anyone has a good address for a Japanese B&B or inn or even a rental? I will be with another mother and her 3 year old so the place needs to be kid friendly and it would be great if there was a way to do our own cooking. It is my first trip to Okinawa so any advice or comments on Kume island would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

By lisalamb on Monday, August 8, 2005 - 5:00 am:

We are travelling to Japan in October with our 18 month old for 10 days, primarily to Kyoto and surrounding area and then a couple of days in Tokyo, and wondered if anyone could recommend out of town places to stay - maybe child friendly hot springs ryokan in rural areas within a couple of hours of Kyoto? Any suggestions gratefully received! It will be our first trip to Japan.

By Janine Parker on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 9:54 pm:

Hi,

my husband, my 18 month old son and I want to spend one night in the countryside, not too far from Tokyo. We were thinking of going to the area west of Mt.Takao or the Chi Chi Bu National Park. Does anyone know of reasonably priced accomodation in either of those areas? Will the autumn leaves still be out on the 23rd of November? Any advice on where to go in these areas would be great.

We are also open to other suggestions that aren't too far away. We have been to Nikko and Izu and think Hakone will be too busy as the 23rd of November is a public holiday. We go to the countryside alot so our son is use to the long train trips and being carried in the hiking backpack (but he's too heavy for anything too strenuous)

thanks

By Katherin Higgins on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 11:06 pm:

Mt Takao is definetly an easier hiking area than Chi Chi Bu National Park. My husband and I have carried our son (10.5kg) in a hiking backpack and found Mt. Takao easier than Mitake Shrine area (hills are steeper in the National Park). Though there are some nice easy walks along the Tama River and Lake Okutama. MT. Takao is probably going to be extremely busy if you are hiking on the 23rd. The leaves have just started to really turn within the last week in the Tokyo area (though they seem to also be falling rather quickly after turning). Kokomin-shukusha Hatonosu-so is where we stayed for three nights in Hatonosu-so along the Ome line near Mitake-san is was 7500 yen a night per person, plus it is 900 yen extra if the baby attends the meals and I think there is an extra charge for holiday nights. We enjoyed our stay there but it was not in the most prestine condition. It was a shared bathroom situation and you are given breakfast and dinner. I hope this is somewhat helpful. I would love to hear how your trip goes as my husband and I are interested in hiking more around Tokyo and any information would be appreciated.

By Paula Hansen on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 8:28 am:

Mt Takao is great place to go for someplace georgeous but not too strenuous. There's a restaurant about halfway up as well as a ropeway (no safety rails though) and a little 100yen kiddy's ride area.
I sincerely doubt you will be able to get accomodation in the middle of their tourist season but if you leave early it makes a great day trip.

By Tony Law on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 8:45 am:

Try the Yatsugatake area.

It is far more beautiful than both Takao and Chichibu.
Takao-san is like Harajuku almost anyday. Chichibu is perhaps too populated.

I have an (American) friend that has a Ryokan in Yatsugatake:

His name is Jake - 090-9346-3774
Try it.

Access is by bus or train from Shinjuku.

By Janine Parker on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 2:11 pm:

Hi,

thanks to everyone for their help.
Actually we have been to Mt.Takao a few times and were going to go again on Sunday, but the Chuo line train we were on was going all the way to Otsuki in Yamanashi prefecture and our son was asleep so we decided to keep going.

Otsuki is about 39 minutes from Takao and has an amazing view of Mt.Fuji. It was a bit far for a day trip so next time we would stop at the first (Sagamiko, 7 minutes) or second (Fujino) stop after Takao. There is a big lake at Sagamiko and a beautiful river runs all the way through the valley to Otsuki. It was a very pretty area and the leaves are still changing colour. There are many hikes in the area and the hills are steep, but not that big and the river is a long way down from the road. Around the lake may be better with children.

If you have been to Mt.Takao and are looking for something new that's close to Tokyo now is the time to go.

For those that haven't been to Mt.Takao and want to see the autumn leaves there is information on this website

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3029.html

It's only a 50 minute train ride from Shinjuku. Escape the urban jungle!

By julie padgett on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 9:12 am:

I will be traveling with my two sons (4,and 10)and husband around Japan. I am surprised to see the 3 person per room policy, how are people finding accomodation with children on there travels? We have an in depth schedule (Nikko, Matsumoto, Nagoya, maybe Kyoto) and are trying to see alot of things, I am wondering how people are finding budget family accomodations.

By Cornelia on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 9:57 am:

I think that in general US hotel rooms often have two double beds in them. In Japan a single is literally a single, etc. However, in Japan kids under 6 years old sleep with Mom, so probably they don't really count as a "whole person". You may be surprised to find out that you still fit the definition of "3"!
You might want to double check with direct communication.

Another thing that is disconcerting is that the room cost is sometimes calculated by a per person rate. But then kids under 6 or under 12 are free. Actually your kid may be 6 and still free until 1 April following his 6th birthday, since that would be the month (s)he would officially start elementary school. This is also the date up until which (s)he can ride the trains free (presumably sitting on a parental lap).

ON the other hand, often when there are older kids involved, such as teeenagers, people book two rooms.

By Katherin Higgins on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 3:30 pm:

Heading to Fuji-go-ko in May and wondering if anyone has suggestions of child friendly accomodations. We will be traveling with grandparents who prefer an ensuite bathroom facility. I would prefer to stay at a ryokan but any accomodation suggestions are appreciated. Other constraints are that my husband will be traveling after work so we would need something that is convinient to a train station or bus stop.

By Philip Lee on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 3:32 pm:

Hi

I was searching for information on driving to Chichibu National Park when i saw the comment about difficulties in finding houses for families. You can consider my house. There is a large room and once in a while we have it vacant. Rent is 7000 yen per day but if it is more than 2 people, we will include a small 1000 yen surcharge maybe to cover the utilities. Email me at philchlee@gmail.com if interested. House has nice bath tub, kitchen for you to make baby meals etc.

The house in Nakai is 30 seconds from nakai oedo line, 45 seconds from nakai seibu shinjuku and 45 seconds from ochiai tozai line. This is a 5 bed room apartment. I stay here and the room can be made available upon your arrival. We are a nice team of people in nakai, 2 students on scholarship from australia and england, a japanese girl and myself a malaysian chinese. I am the malaysian chinese with MBA and currently working as an IT professional in a canadian firm. We are all clean and make this place a nice place. Let me know your budget. There is both a small room and large room available.

Later, please let me know your exact arrival date and departure dates
if you have them. This will help me to estimate which rooms are
available to you. The house is well furnished with washing machine and even dryer (few
houses have dryers in Tokyo). We have a nice bathroom with bathtub for
you to soak in during this winter. The house has 2-4 other housemates
who are mostly out at work and they are responsible and clean. We hope
you are as well. We prefer non smokers, but if you are a smoker, we
strictly do not allow smoking in the house or entrance.

We are looking forward to meeting you. Even if you want to come here
and look for better housing, we are happy to host you a few days
instead of you staying in expensive hotels. We charge a very low fee -
comparable to youth hostels, but you get the comfort and security of a
home with all furnished equipments including wireless internet. I will
give you detailed instructions from the airport and everything will be
hassle free.

Once again I am sure you have found the right place as many houses in
Tokyo do not host foreigners - except for hostels and guest houses
which can be rather impersonal and dirty. You will certainly like our
houses. See you.

Below are some photos of both the houses. it has a japanese look to it.

http://www.geocities.jp/jpmh487/room.htm
http://www.geocities.jp/jpmh487/room1.htm

Regards,
Philip

By Philip Lee on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 3:40 pm:

Hi

I was searching for information on driving to Chichibu National Park when i saw the comment about difficulties in finding houses for families. You can consider my house. There is a large room and once in a while we have it vacant. Rent is 7000 yen per day but if it is more than 2 people, we will include a small 1000 yen surcharge maybe to cover the utilities. Email me at philchlee@gmail.com if interested. House has nice bath tub, kitchen for you to make baby meals etc.

The house in Nakai is 30 seconds from nakai oedo line, 45 seconds from nakai seibu shinjuku and 45 seconds from ochiai tozai line. This is a 5 bed room apartment. I stay here and the room can be made available upon your arrival. We are a nice team of people in nakai, 2 students on scholarship from australia and england, a japanese girl and myself a malaysian chinese. I am the malaysian chinese with MBA and currently working as an IT professional in a canadian firm. We are all clean and make this place a nice place. Let me know your budget. There is both a small room and large room available.

Later, please let me know your exact arrival date and departure dates
if you have them. This will help me to estimate which rooms are
available to you. The house is well furnished with washing machine and even dryer (few
houses have dryers in Tokyo). We have a nice bathroom with bathtub for
you to soak in during this winter. The house has 2-4 other housemates
who are mostly out at work and they are responsible and clean. We hope
you are as well. We prefer non smokers, but if you are a smoker, we
strictly do not allow smoking in the house or entrance.

We are looking forward to meeting you. Even if you want to come here
and look for better housing, we are happy to host you a few days
instead of you staying in expensive hotels. We charge a very low fee -
comparable to youth hostels, but you get the comfort and security of a
home with all furnished equipments including wireless internet. I will
give you detailed instructions from the airport and everything will be
hassle free.

Once again I am sure you have found the right place as many houses in
Tokyo do not host foreigners - except for hostels and guest houses
which can be rather impersonal and dirty. You will certainly like our
houses. See you.

Below are some photos of both the houses. it has a japanese look to it.

http://www.geocities.jp/jpmh487/room.htm
http://www.geocities.jp/jpmh487/room1.htm

Regards,
Philip

By elizabeth iino on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 11:59 am:

Does anyone know about renting a place near the beach in Shimoda?
Thanks,
Elizabeth

By Sarah Walker on Thursday, June 8, 2006 - 12:24 pm:

Three of us (me, husband and 6
month old son) will be travelling to
Kyoto this August. I've never been to
Japan and have a few questions
concerning travel with a baby.

First question: does anyone have a
suggestion concerning a relatively
inexpensive Ryokan in Kyoto that is
baby-friendly?
How do people integrate an infant
into Japanese bath customs?
I would also love to hear any advice
about Kyoto in August, as well as
traversing the city with a stroller.

Thanks so much!

Sarah

By Clare Humphreys on Thursday, June 8, 2006 - 12:37 pm:

Hi Sarah,

I think most ryokan would be child-friendly as Japan is generally a child-loving country. I took my daughter to Kyoto when she was 7 months old & she loved sleeping on the futon next to me. Most ryokan provide meals in your room, which makes life very easy for the little one. Look for ryokan that have a family bath & the three of you can go in together (you normally reserve it by the hour).

Try this website for ryokan:

http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/index.htm

One word of warning about August though - it will be hot, hot, hot!!!

Good luck,

Clare.

By Admin on Sunday, April 8, 2007 - 6:08 pm:

OKINAWA: Backpacker's Hostel Guide in Okinawa (in Japanese only, but web sites, phone numbers and prices and maps are decipherable if you can't read Japanese)
LOFT Books {c}2006
www.loft-prj.co.jp
Tokyo 169-0073, Shinjuku-ku, Hyakunin-cho 1-5-1-3F
Tel: 03-5287-3766, Fax: 03-5287-9177
list price 1200 yen

By Lise on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 1:10 am:

We are hoping to travel to Japan March 20-30th with three boys ages 13, 12, and 5. The youngest is sweet with good manners but very active and sometimes loud. I have been there several times, but none of us speaks Japanese. This will be a first for the kids, who are interested in visiting the land of their maternal great grandparents. But many questions, hopefully someone can help us out.

Since we only have nine days, we were thinking of splitting the time between Tokyo and Kyoto, but wonder if this is too much since Tokyo alone, with day trips outside Tokyo to places like Kamakura or Hakone, may be enough, esp. with a 5-yr old. Any thoughts?

I want the kids to experience a ryokan, but don't know if they would welcome children. Any leads to good ones that are in central locations convenient to public transport, shops, museums, parks? Is this realistic in Tokyo, or is Kyoto a better place to find such a ryokan?

Any advice on family friendly decent hotels in either city, in great locations? Again, we're looking for convenience to easy transportation or walking and ease for an English speaking family. We can afford to stay somewhere nice, but don't need 5-star (or even 4-star) luxury.

Our big boys like cities and great food (dept. store basement food centers and street vendor food will thrill them as well), some shopping, technology, museums, and unfortunately, video games and the usual preteen stuff. Our little one loves trains and parks and running around.

Thanks in advance!
Lise

By Kirwoest on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 9:43 am:

You can try the Japanese National Tourism Office (JNTO) in Ginza, Tokyo. They have lots of information, like ryokan guides, detailed travel papers... for free. Of course, their staff is supposed to be bilingual.

By Pilarcita on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 6:06 pm:

Is there any not trust worthy rent a car shop in Japan?...

you can try Nippon, Toyota, Nissan, etc..
Check this website: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html

have fun!
Hide message history

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: