Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Destination: Omiya City (Tokyo Suburb)

Japan With Kids - Forums: Traveling to/from and in Japan: Destination: Omiya City (Tokyo Suburb)
By Kim Reddington on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 4:03 am:

I may be visiting Omiya/Tokyo for 6 weeks with 3 children. My husband will be working Monday - Friday and only with us on weekends. I only speak English. How hard is it to get around with children? To find places? To get to Tokyo to walk around? My main concern is trying to entertain children for 6 weeks without them getting too tired from walking and eating strange food. Any incite into the culture and how Americans usually feel with their children in Japan would be so helpful!!

By Scott Hancock on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 4:16 am:

Kim- Most important first step is to decide you are going to have a great time. Start with these:

- Japanese people are genearlly kind to strangers for basic things like directions; doubly so if you have children in tow

- The public transportation is clean, reliable and goes everywhere. Avoiding rush hour is the main concern.

- Vast majority of shopkeepers and others you will encounter are quite honest. You don't have to worry much about usual city dweller evils of other major cities. One concern might be the amount of chocolate that they will want to give your kids. (You didn't say how old they are.)

- If you get exasperated trying to figure out the food, there are ALWAYS familiar chains in sight; and the menus all have photographs of the food.

- There are enough of the above friendly people who speak enough English to help you.

I don't know if there's any "usually feel". Everyone has a different experience. But, as above, if you start with a positive attitude, you will be well ahead.

Omiya is a ways from central Tokyo. It's the first Shinkansen (bullet train) stop out of the city, so 20 minutes or so - though that is expensive way to commute. I'm sure even in Omiya, there are children's facilities at the local city hall or nearby.

There's also tons of information on line. You might get the book, Japan With Kids (?). Depends on your energy and initiative with exploring with 3 kids. What do they usually eat?

Let us know what you usually do for fun with them.

Scott

By Keiko Sato on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 11:06 pm:

Hello Reddington san,

I used to live in Omiya and it is a very interesting place to see.

There are many shops and restaurants and the station was just re-configured.

As far as being an American in Omiya, its interesting as the owner of Japanese-Experts.com use to live there also and is from America as well.

He liked it very much, but said that the Japanese people who live in Omiya are not use to foreigners as they are in Tokyo.

In Omiya, it is very busy. Very packed with students that with your children, you may get lost in a sea of faces.

It is very fast paced at the station and around the station.

Getting out of the station area, it is slow.

The people are nice as long as you don't expect a lot.

If you have the opportunity, take a train into Tokyo and spend the day.

Go to see Ueno, Roppongi, Azajuban, and places that are more welcoming of foreigners.

You kids can ice skate in Shibuya with other mothers or families.

If you need more information, please contact me at Japanese-Experts.com and we will do our best to help.

Sincerely,

Keiko!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: