Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Car Seat Rental

Japan With Kids - Forums: Traveling to/from and in Japan: Car Seat Rental
By Maaike Ono on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 12:46 am:

I know this great place in Amsterdam where I can rent anything you can think of for a baby www.babyrent.nl, but this time I go to Nice, France and look for a similar place. Does anybody know a rental shop for car seats in Nice?

Maaike maaike8[at]attglobal.net

By heidi ohno on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 10:30 am:

I am also looking for a place that rents car seats in Japan. we are traveling there with our 20 month old- and we will take mostly trains, but we may spend some time with family and will get picked up by car. (matsue area) We are opting to leave the stroller at home because we heard thats its quite troublesome. We have our baby backpack- any advice? Also, does anyone have any advice as to all those other worries that come with travelling with a little squirt thats not quite potty trained? which brand of diapers are best over there? Where do you change them when you are out &in public? What do you do without a pack & play as a crib/bed? (at least we dont have to worry about him rolling out of bed on a futon!) ANY tips as to traveling around Japan with an energized toddler would be greatly appreciated!

thanks so much!

Heidi Ohno

By Shannon Morales on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 2:12 pm:

Heidi,
I can't help with your main question about renting car seats, but I can offer tips on a few other points that you mentioned. One is: I would bring your stroller, unless it's massive. If you're taking trains, you'll find yourself doing a LOT of walking, more than a 20-mo old can keep up with. Unless you are comfortable carrying him, I'd strongly recommend using a stroller. Also, for diapers, Doremi and Moony Man are very nice; make sure you know your child's weight in kilos so you can choose the right size. It's fairly easy to find nursing/changing rooms or bathrooms with nice changing tables out in public. An almost sure bet is to pop into a nearby dept. store (they're everywhere) and head for the women's or children's clothing floor. If you have your stroller, you can lay it back and change him there. We also changed our son in our lap(s) or empty seats on busses and trains, though that's a challenge when he's squirmy. Make sure to take some plastic bags along to stash the used diapers till you can find a garbage can.
That just covers the "little" questions in your note, but I hope it helps. Have a nice trip!
Shannon Morales (now in Peru)

By Marie Kawachi on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 4:20 pm:

Hi Heidi,

I got a catalog from the Hospital
where I go for my weekly check up
and this catalog the smile baby offers rental of babies needs from beds to car seats, strollers and etc.you can check their site URL://boshi.co.jp but everything is in Japanese though. and you can ask their information tel. nos.0120-510-503/0120-020-442/0120-600-442./ fax no. 0120-810-603.
Hope this could be of help.

Marie

By Melissa Woods Nelson on Sunday, August 7, 2005 - 12:35 am:

Unless your child is very light and you are
OK carry him/her for hours in the
backpack carrier, I agree you are likely to
be happy to have your stroller with you,
esp. if it is not too heavy. Your toddler can
always hop out of the stroller when you
have to carry it up and down stairs if you
hit a station without an elevator.
Especially if you will be here soon - it's so
hot and humid now, I don't even want to
carry my 15 month old around...

If your stroller is a heavy/not foldable one,
have you thought about buying/borrowing
/renting a cheap light one for the trip?

Diapers: I think the Moonies are good,
better than Goons which have small tapes
that seem to rip easily and become very
gelatinous when wet... I change diapers
everywhere, have not had trouble finding a
place to do so (though I have not been
here very long yet).

Happy traveling!

By Nina Gascon on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 2:43 pm:

are car seats required under law in Japan? Anyone with information, I will really appreciate your response. I will be traveling there soon, and have no idea if they are required.
Nina

By Vincent C. Ricci on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 4:15 pm:

yes, they are required. we rented one from this company
http://www.hoxon.co.jp/baby_index.html
sorry, japanese only site.

great service if you can have someone help you navigate it. they came to our house w/ three options that would fit our car. we picked the one we wanted and he took away the other two. cost is quite low, i think like $20 including the first and second months. like $5 per month after that.

beat buying one by a mile, esp. considering newborn type vs. what we will need in a year or so, not to mention the fact that we want a new car eventually.
good luck! -tokyovince

By Bethan Hutton on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 7:00 pm:

It sounds like you are only going to be in Japan temporarily. If you have your own car seat, you could bring it if it is the kind that is fixed using ordinary seat belts. Most Japanese cars don't have special fixing points (Isofix?) that you get in some cars in the west. I have also found that some Japanese seat belts seem to be quite short, so had trouble fitting one babyseat in some cars. If you are hiring a car in Japan, you can usually get car seats from the hire company (for a small extra fee). If you are just going to be riding in a friend's car, then baby goods rental companies like the one mentioned above can rent you one for a short stay.

Car seats are not required in taxis, and taxi drivers aren't very keen on you trying to use your own one in their cabs, in my experience.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: