Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Using a Stroller in Tokyo

Japan With Kids - Forums: Traveling to/from and in Japan: Using a Stroller in Tokyo
By Ghoshida on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 6:04 pm:

My wife and I will be in Japan this summer with our 6 month old baby. While we'll have a baby carrier, we were also thinking of using a compact stroller. Are there any places other than the rail system where this would probably be impractical.

If possible, I want to use the carrier only but this might not be realistic. Please let me know.

By Kirwoest on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 6:30 pm:

We use a stroller all the time in Tokyo. Compact is good. BTW, most train stations have elevators, so not bad for stroller use, as long as you don't mind folding it up during rush-hour.

By Rebecca_s on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 7:27 pm:

I don't live in Tokyo but will respond anyway :-)

How old is your child? Unless s/he is over 15kg, I'd go for no stroller. Personally I hate navigating with strollers in Japan. I go without a stroller whenever I can... now that I have 2 kids and another one on the way, sadly this is no longer very often an option. Even in places where elevators are plenty, it's so much easier to navigate skinny sidewalks, small shops, small elevators, escalators, trains, with a carrier and no stroller. I went apartment hunting in tokyo for a weekend and I was so surprised at how many train stations (even pretty big ones for my standards) we ran across with no elevator. I was visiting from a smaller town in japan and NEVER found a station without an elevator. Now I live in Osaka and also frequently encounter stations with no elevator.

Oh, not to mention, I really hate air travel with a stroller as well.

If you *must* bring a stroller definitely make it an umbrella stroller. I only take my maclaren into town. anything bigger is just a nightmare. Even with the maclaren I frequently encounter cool teeny shops where I simply can't take the buggy.

Enjoy your trip to tokyo. You will have a great time!

By Natalie_l on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:13 pm:

If your back can take it - definitely go with the carrier. Having a stroller limits where you can shop and eat.

The argument for a stroller is if you intend to do a lot of walking (usually inevitable when sightseeing). I know that I wouldn't want to carry my 5 month old around all day in Japanese summer (hot and humid). As for buses and trains - there are two of you so you won't have too many problems with a stroller. For the bus, one can hold bub while the other carries the pram, and for the occasional train station with no elevator, just carry baby down in the stroller - one adult either side - it's what I do.

Hope this helps.

By Yuko_k on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 9:36 am:

You can also keep in mind that in most department stores and a lot of theme parks etc., they have free rental buggies.

By Creed on Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 10:02 pm:

I have been all over Tokyo and the train stations with my strollers - old and new. The old one was HUGE and I managed, but have downsized to one that is also considered a bit big. I wouldn't recommend a big stroller here, but certainly you can get around comfortably on the trains and through the stations with at least a step up from an umbrella. I bring both my sling and my stroller. It may take a little navigating to find the elevators in big stations, but they are there more often than not. You may not want to push a stroller through Shibuya on a weekend, but it's do-able!

By Fraupenguin on Friday, May 2, 2008 - 5:00 pm:

I found it a hassle trying to find a comprehensive list of train stations in Tokyo for stations with elevators. They were either non-existant, all in Japanese or dating many years ago.

So i came up with my own. If anyone is interested, you can check this website:

http://togiveaway.wordpress.com/

I've also included information about pediatricians which i have tried.

I hope these information will help some of you.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: