Return to
Japan With Kids Home Page

Forum Main Page
Keyword Search
New Posts
Last Week

Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Dual-nationality: Which passport?

Japan With Kids - Forums: Traveling to/from and in Japan: Dual-nationality: Which passport?
By Trier on Wednesday, June 4, 2008 - 5:51 pm:

I am married to a Japanese and we have two kids who have dual citizenship (at least till they turn 22). Normally when we travel with our kids currently aged 4 and 6 we leave the country using their Japanese passports.

This summer I will be traveling with the kids alone and my wife will stay in Japan. Are there any problems in a foreigner leaving Japan with 2 Japanese kids using Japanese passports? I mean, do I need to bring anything to prove I am their father or can you foresee any other problems in leaving Japan on my foreign passport while the kids use their Japanese passports?

By Cniskasari on Wednesday, June 4, 2008 - 7:00 pm:

A notarized consent letter is required by most countries when you travel alone with your children, written and signed by the other parent. I would bring their birth certificates or something that says you are the father, just in case. If you have your documentation organized there shouldn't be an issue.

By Trier on Wednesday, June 4, 2008 - 7:30 pm:

Really? Can you name some countries where it is a requirement? Do you know for sure if Japan has the same rule?

By Cniskasari on Wednesday, June 4, 2008 - 9:18 pm:

"Mexico has joined several other countries in requiring that parents traveling alone with children (under age 18 in Mexico's case) carry a notarized letter from the absent parent authorizing the trip, regardless of whether they are married or divorced. Never-married parents, parents whose spouse has died and parents who have been granted sole legal custody of children need to carry notarized proof of their status. In some cases these documents must be translated into the language of the country the parent and child intend to visit. Grandparents traveling with grandchildren and adults traveling with children who are not theirs must carry letters of authorization from both parents of the children.

Other countries with similar regulations include Australia, Brazil, Chile, Canada, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Israel and Venezuela.

Better More Than Less

Although specific information about each country's entry requirements is posted on the State Department's Web site ( foreignentryreqs.html), officials there recommend that a parent traveling with children aged 18 or younger err on the side of having more documentation than he or she needs.

''To be on the safe side, they should always carry the child's birth certificate -- something that shows the child's relationship to the parent -- and a notarized letter that shows that both parents are consenting to the trip,'' said Stuart Patt, a spokesman for the Consular Affairs Bureau of the State Department. "

Hope this helps.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.