Return to
Japan With Kids Home Page

Forum Main Page
Keyword Search
New Posts
Last Week

Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Dictionary -- Medical translations

Japan With Kids - Forums: Health Topics: Dictionary -- Medical translations
By Andrea K on Friday, July 21, 2000 - 4:05 pm:

Last week I found a great new publication that only hit the shelves in the last month.

I had been searching for ages for a good book with the English Japanese translations of basic and more technical medical terms. The only one I could find was aimed at Japanese who were travelling.

Now there is a wonderful book that not only has the translations, but basic sentences, other basic Japanese, and even the department signs you would see in a hospital. The lists are divided in two, with the first being from English to Japanese (both romaji and kanji). It is then repeated with Japanese (romaji then kanji) to English. So it means you can not only look something up in English, but you can also find the Japanese word without having to read kanji.

A Doctor in Your Pocket
(Basic Medical Terms in English and Japanese/Romaji)

by Dr John J Olichney & Sue A Kawashima

Publisher: スリ-エ ネットワク
ISBN 4-88319-156-7

I found my copy in the Yaesu Book Centre (7th Fl) by Tokyo Station.

* Kore de anshin byouki to kega no tango chou.

By liza kanazawa on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 2:55 pm:

I brought my daughter to the doctor today and he said that she has "ringobyo" - red patches on her arms and legs and on her face. He said that it is a common disease in children and she probably got it from the other kids in her hoikuen. I was wondering if anyone knows what this "ringobyo" is in English? I have been looking for it in the net but found nothing. Hope someone can help me.

By Doug Parkes on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 3:01 pm:

A gloss from Jeffrey's online J-E-J dictionary reads as follows:

slap-cheek (erythema infectiosum)

Doug Parkes

By Cornelia on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 - 06:26 am:
By the way I did a search for "slap-cheek" and found it also goes by another name, "Fifth Disease". You can read more about it at:,10338,244495_101055,00.html

By Cornelia on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 - 7:26 am:

The USA gateway to Jeffrey's online J-E-J dictionary is at:

The dictionary is a bit tricky to use but it appeared to me that one could insert romanized spellings of Japanese words.

I was able to type in miso and as a "full regular expression" given as "English" text and got a list of 14 Japanese words with English translations that contained "miso" in them or in their definitions.

However when I tried to get a translation of mizu (water) the search turned up empty. A respelling as "misu" came up with a list of English words containing that letter sequence such as "misuse" with the correllating Japanese word.

So I was doing something wrong. I tried "mizu" again as "Japanese" and got a list of words with mizu in them. It works! The problem is that it truncates the total search to about 100. I tried again with "mizuibo" which is what I was after all along. Nothing. For good measure I tried "mizuipo" just in case someone romanaized it differently, and also searched the "life-science terms" dictionary. No luck.

Shucks. Looks like they missed one.

"Mizuibo", for which I have no English translation at this time, seems to hit young kids around this time of year. I'll put in more about it under a separate conversation heading at:

By Victoria Watterson on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 - 9:48 pm:

Mizuboso is chickenpox, but

Mizuibo is Impetigo. It is usually common during the warm months when the kids are outside playing and going swimming a lot. It is very contageous. At my children's Hoikuen, they could still attend, but all of the sores had to be kept covered. It is good to change bandages twice a day and use antibotic ointment. The child shouldn't going swimming or take a bath with anyone else, that is the fastest way for spreading not to mention scratching and then touching something. It usually takes about a week to two weeks before it is all healed up. At first it seems like it won't end, but if you keep them covered, it will eventually stop spreading. It is called "mizuibo" because the sores look watery.

Two of my children got it every summer while they were attending Hoikuen. I hope my explanation was a little helpful. Don't worry, "this too shall pass..."


By Kit Nagamura on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 4:52 pm:

Dear Victoria,

Impetigo is "tobihi", or "jumping fire" in Japanese; my child has had it, and it is very different from mizuibo, which we've also been unfortunate to encounter. I haven't been able to find a translation of mizuibo in any dictionary, and I have most of them by now, but it is a mild form of wart, or tumor (I've heard it called both) which is extremely contagious (mere skin contact will pass it along).
On some patients, the number of warts rapidly multiplies, and this is why most dermatologists pluck the little buggers off with a special tool as fast as possible; it's not pleasant for anyone involved, but a skilled doctor can be swift about it, and prevent an outbreak.
Incidentally, tobihi is also very contagious, and just as you described, with comparatively large blisters which crust over.

By Admin on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 08:09 pm:
There is a picture of Impetigo (tobihi) at:

By Victoria Watterson on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 5:33 pm:


Thank you for setting me straight! I was wondering if I was getting the words confused. Boy I am glad I have not had to experience mizuibo. I sure hope I don't. I will ask my friends and see if they know the English word for mizuibo.

Talk with you all later...


By Kit Nagamura on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 11:47 am:

Victoria, your e-mail inspired me to go find out what mizuibo really is, in English. It's Mollescum Contagiosum (how's that for a descriptive name?!) I put a more complete post under "mizuibo," if you're interested. I, too, hope you'll never need to know! Cheers, and thanks!

By Arlene Ogata on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 6:25 pm:

Hello to all of you! I was just wondering if anyone of you knows what is "Acute hemorrhagic Pancreatitis" kind of disease?.

A famous actor in the Philippines recently died because of this findings. He was very healthy the day before he died. He was with his friends in a resort and died while sleeping. It scares me because there's no exact or clear explanation about this. Does it happen only when you sleep?

Many people say that it usually happens when you sleep with a full stomach. Is this true? Pls. give me more detailed information about this if ever you heard of this before. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

By Admin on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 7:16 pm:

Thanks for joining the TWK discussions. I think you can find out a great deal about this if you do a search on with the term:
"Acute hemorrhagic Pancreatitis"

This discussion is for helping people figure out how something is called in Japanese or how some Japanese term for a symptom or illness translates into English. Do you need to know the Japanese term for "Acute hemorrhagic Pancreatitis"?

By Arlene Ogata on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 7:22 pm:

To Admin,

Thanks for the information. Yes, I want to know the japanese term for "Acute hemorrhagic Pancreatitis". Thanks again for your immediate reply. Take care!


By Cornelia on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 12:21 pm:

Some one sent me this question privately. Thought I'd share the answer here.

bed wetter - medical name is Yanyo-o or for a continual problem Yanyo-osho but the common expression is Oneisho

By Bridget Kihara on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 11:02 am:

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what toppatsubyou is? Apparently it starts with a high grade fever and then a few days later the baby breaks out in a rash. It's common in babies up to 2 years old. Does any one know what this is in English?
Thanks, Bridget

By Shibuya on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 11:45 am:

I don't know for sure, but it could be " roseolla"; symptoms common in infants are fever and a red rash afterwards.

By Yuko Kubota on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:28 pm:

I can't really answer your question, but I think you're talking about toppatsu-sei-hasshin. I know practically nothing about medics but this name was not familiar in the older generation. We've been living in Japan for generations and my mother hadn't heard of it, and neither had I until I had my son 11 years ago. I just acknowledge it to know that it's nothing when a 10 months old baby suddenly gets the fever and rash a few days later.

By Tara on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:36 pm:

"Toppatsubyou" is roseola.

By Tom Marlowe on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 11:45 pm:

This is probably too late but for what it's worth:

(Toppatsusei hosshin) 突発性発・#93; (とっぱつせいほっしん) is exanthem subitum. In plain English this is a viral disease of infants and young children; characterized by abrupt high fever and mild sore throat; a few days later there is a faint pinkish rash that lasts for a few hours to a few days.

By Tom Marlowe on Saturday, December 6, 2003 - 12:00 am:
Regarding my previous post, the correct Japanese for toppatsuhosshin is 突発性発しん

Couldn't get the last character to go in. Sorry about that.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.