Return to
Japan With Kids Home Page

Forum Main Page
Keyword Search
New Posts
Last Week

Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Occupational Therapist, Speech Therapist

Japan With Kids - Forums: Health Topics: Occupational Therapist, Speech Therapist
By mon on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 8:29 am:

I am looking for an OT and ST for my 4 year old son.
Can anyone guide regarding Ward or the Metropoliton government supported facilities.
I am also interested in knowing professionals providing these services. Thanks

By Janine Boyd on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 2:58 pm:

I can't help uou with any reliable contacts here in Japan, however, I can give you a couple of tips from an Early childhood perspective.

Concentrate on mouth games to exercise those developing muscles, like blowing bubbles (no problem in can play in the bath), serve delicious treats with a variety of straws, especially the loopy ones are fun. Whistle to your child's favorite songs and encourage him/her to join in. It doesn't matter if the child just squeaks, the important thing is to give the mouth a workout while the unsuspecting child is having fun.

Don't neglect the tongue exercises too like trying to pick up sherbet or cake sprinkles with the tip of his/her tongue. Remember to make eye contact with your child when you speak to him/her and expect the same in return. This allows them the chance to see you enunciating words and follow your lead. Read poetry together with lots of rhythmic patterns for the child to join in with. Swimming lessons are good for bubble blowing exercises and hold breath. Good idea to have a hearing test as well if you have concerns; you can set up your own at home if you are isolated. Seek professional advice if you suspect a problem there. Treatment earlier rather than later prevents future problems.

My last tip is to not over-react to language difficulties. There are age/stage milestones for a 4 year old and there are differences between males and females. Males dont achieve language milestones as early as girls, even in the same family. I often deal with parents who are concerned about perceived speech difficulties that they have self-diagnosed or a grandparent has drawn attention to.

If your child has indeed been diaognized by a speech therapist speak to your local City Hall for contacts in your area and meanwhile buy yourself a library of information to help your child yourself, since you are the most influential person in YOUR child's life.

Sorry I cant be of more help.
Janine Boyd
MEd (Early Childhood)

By Sherri Leibert on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 5:14 pm:

I have just returned from my daughter's outpatient trip to the National Center for Child Health and Development in Setagaya-ku, Tokyo. I noticed that they have a department for speech therapy. I haven't tried it and I am not sure if they offer English support (though my daughter's doctors speak excellent English and trained in the States). It is worth a call or a visit. It is a wonderful facility, brand new and they take national health insurance.

(Tel: 03-3416-0181,
near Seijo Gakuenmae Station on the Odakyu Line)

By Yoshikawa on Wednesday, February 2, 2005 - 1:53 pm:

This may be too late, but FYI:

Tokyo International Learning Community

Tokyo International Learning Community (T.I.L.C.) is an international school offering full time educational programming, serving children from 3-18 years of age with varying disabilities.

By Cali on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 12:04 pm:

Tokyo International Learning Community
(an international school for children with
special needs) is looking for a qualified
Speech and Language Therapist to begin
May 1, 2005. Hours are flexible. English
must be primary language. If you are
interested, please contact Ajay Das (School
Head) at 042.231.9611

Thank you.

Cali Gregory

By Cali on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 12:12 pm:

I am looking for a native English speaker
who is a licensed or certified Speech
Pathologist to begin private therapy with
my child in my home 1-2 times per week
for 1-2 hour sessions. The position is
available immediately and salary is
negotiable. Please contact me with your
credentials and references.

By Linda Gondo on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 10:31 am:

Can anyone recommend a native English speech therapist or speech pathologist for my 5 year old daughter? Or in lieu of this some self help books on the subject? We have not had her professionally assessed, however her pronunciation and articulation are still, for her age, unclear. Vocabulary and grammar are OK. Japanese is her second language and this is also unclear.

By Nancy on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 1:21 pm:

Linda, if you go to the main page of this website, under International Schools you will find "Resources for Parents of Children With Special Needs" and the contact details for Marsha Rosenberg can be found there.

By Linda Gondo on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 9:46 pm:

Nancy,thanks very much for the link to Marsha Rosenberg.



By Cali on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 5:05 pm:

Tokyo International Learning Community has recognized the increasing demand for Speech Therapy services for children in the international community in Tokyo. Consequently, TILC has hired a full-time Speech Pathologist from the USA who will arrive in August. Please feel free to contact us for more information or to be placed on our waiting list.

By Amirtha on Monday, July 2, 2007 - 12:27 am:

Hi all...
I am Amirtha, a Speech-Language Pathologist from India. Presently, I live in Kanagawa,Japan. If you need any help..feel free to contact me.
Post your queries to

Have a good day!


By Thesandree on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:39 pm:

Hi everyone,

My name is Thesandree Padayachee. I am a qualified Speech and Language Therapist from South Africa who will be moving to Japan with my husband in August 2008. I also have a Masters degree in Evidence Based Healthcare and am very keen to continue practicing as a therapist whilst in Japan. If you come accross anyone who may require such services in the Nagoya area from August next year, please feel free to contact me on Any other information to help me in my search for work would be most appreciated.
Thank You

By Tramar63 on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 10:00 pm:


I have just read (sadly)that TILC is closing. Does anyone know of English-speaking speech therapists or OTs who live in the Tokyo/Kanagawa area?

Thank you,

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.