Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Tokyo Weekender

Japan With Kids - Forums: Consumer Reports: Tokyo Weekender
By Admin on Monday, December 6, 2004 - 8:50 pm:

Kim,
Tokyo Weekender went belly up. And there are some reporters that didn't get paid yet for their work. But now I heard that it's going to be started up again. And one writer is supposed to get her column paid for by the new management. But I'm not sure if she will get paid as much as she was originally promised. Your friend should be able to negotiate that her ad be run the number of times she paid for without paying again. She should definitely try. Anyway, that's nice of you to try to help her out. I'm going to move your post over to the section on Tutors available.

By Liat Friedman on Monday, December 6, 2004 - 9:08 pm:

The Weekender has started publishing again, under new management but with the same logo. Format is slightly different and they've started the issue numbering all over again. I think last week was their 3rd issue (or maybe 4th).
I got a copy at the National Azabu Supermarket. I also believe it is worthwhile to try and demand the reprinting of the Japanese lessons' ad.

Good Luck!

By Vicki on Monday, December 6, 2004 - 9:23 pm:

I am a former employee of the Weekender. Basically we were all ripped-off and duped by the post-Corky management. All of us are owed back pay. We don't expect we'll ever receive it.
It is now, however, being published by Carolyn Pover, who had no connection with the previous management.

By Jenny on Tuesday, December 7, 2004 - 5:46 pm:

Didn't Ms. Pover start the magazine "Being Abroad" a few years ago that also closed down with a number of unpaid debts? Publishing is not such an easy business.

By Kim Ellison on Tuesday, December 7, 2004 - 7:22 pm:

I only heard the gossip about what happened to the previous Weekender from someone in the media business. I'm not sure what really happened except my teacher had paid for advertising and then suddenly the magazine disappeared. Then it reappeared under new management so my teacher contacted them to get her adverts back in print. She was offered a discount price for some new adverts (which meant she would have to pay again). But if she didn't accept the new deal she wouldn't have her adverts or her money back. I don't think the new management is in the wrong but I felt that my teacher had lost quite a lot of money and potential students through no fault of her own. As for the new Tokyo Weekender I hope it does continue as we all should support anything that helps inform and entertain the foreign community. Perhaps Caroline should change the name and start afresh and shake off the bad rep of the post-Corky, pre-Caroline era.

By Caroline Pover on Wednesday, December 8, 2004 - 9:42 pm:

Hi

Someone brought the above thread
to my attention today, and while I am
afraid I don't have time to respond to
all of the comments above (most of
them are inaccurate actually), I did
want to say that for those that are
interested in knowing more about
what we are doing, please do email
me at caroline@carolinepover.com or
give me a call at our office 03-5549-
2038 and I'd be happy to explain.
The last few months have been a
difficult time for the previous staff of
Image Publications (the previous
owners of the magazine), and many
of them are now working here so I
am fully aware of what they have
been through.

For the record though, my magazine
Being A Broad, which closed down 6
years ago, did NOT have any unpaid
debts. All vendors that had
outstanding invoices at the time of
closing the magazine were paid. Any
advertisers who were promised
advertising and did not receive it
were reimbursed with advertising
space in my book, and I still have
very good relationships with them.

Anyway - we're happy to answer any
questions at the office so do get in
touch!

Caroline

By Nancy on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 11:46 pm:

As an impartial bystander and journalist by profession, I think it would have made sense to clear up any misconceptions in public, where the matter was raised, rather than taking the time to answer a question that was not even asked.....just my two cents J

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: