Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Dryers, Japanese vs. others

Japan With Kids - Forums: Consumer Reports: Dryers, Japanese vs. others
By Emi on Monday, May 10, 1999 - 7:27 pm:

We are thinking of replacing our dryer and I was hoping someone could give us a recommendation. The one we have now is a Tokyo Gas MA-040-S 903 7185 that we bought about 5 years ago. It has been very flaky - stopping before the clothes are dry and refusing to run at times. Have dryers improved in the last 5 years? Do you like/hate yours? Thanks in advance!

By jtok on Monday, July 12, 1999 - 12:22 pm:

We don'tknow of any Japanese-brand clothes dryers that work well (get clothes dry within 1 hour, don't stop suddenly, don't require excessive maintenance). Your choices are (i) buy an American-brand dryer from Yamagiwa (Tokyo) or perhaps Kojima, if you have the space. Buy consumables at the same time because you may not be able to get spare parts a few years from now. (ii) hang your laundry in the bath and run a Japanese-brand dehumidifier (joshitsuki) for 5-8 hours. It is cheaper than a dryer for 1 hour.

By Emi on Thursday, July 15, 1999 - 3:17 am:

Thank you for your response, jtok! I guess I'll just stick to what I've been doing, for the time being. I usually hang most of my clothes to dry. The ones that turn out stiff from hanging, I take them straight from the washer to the dryer for about 10 minutes and then hang them up. They turn out much softer if I do that. Not a great solution but I'm getting used to it.

By Kit Pancoast Nagamura on Thursday, July 29, 1999 - 4:20 pm:

Absolutely hilarious, jtok and Emi! I've been here about ten years and gone through three (count 'em!) dryers already. What pieces of junk--quite literally when you think of the waste piles they must make! I'm on the dry and soften routine, too, except in winter (can't stand that freeze-dried effect). Does anyone know which foreign brand works best in Tokyo?

By Natalie on Tuesday, August 10, 1999 - 11:05 pm:

A friend gave me her electric National washer & dryer set. I've had it now for about 6 years and she may have used it for 2-3 years. It works like a dream. The dryer heats up quickly, and the time it takes depends on what I'm drying. Kids clothes take less than one hour and heavy towels about one hour and a half. But to save on electricity bills, I use it only in winter and only after I've let the clothes dry partway outside. They dry quicker and of course softer that way. Maybe I lucked out and got a peach :)while the usual Japanese dryers are all lemons :(

By M&J on Saturday, September 25, 1999 - 10:43 pm:

Ah ha! So thats it - the Japanese clothes dryer gremlin! We have a 18 mth old Sharp dryer that in the last 6 months has be behaving erratically. eg; stopping before clothes are dry or not working at all but when the repair main shows up he cannot find anything wrong! A bit like the magic driveway at the car repair shop! We are moving into a new house that comes equipped with 12 yr old US made GE appliances. We were going to throw them out but I think we may now keep them just in case.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: