Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Software for young children

Japan With Kids - Forums: Consumer Reports: Software for young children
By Emi on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 9:36 pm:

Can anyone recommend software for children?

My son has been playing with Keywack 2.0 (Mac only) since he was about 6 months old. Its freeware and you can download it at Shareware.com. Now that he's just over 2 years old he's bored with it, so I was wondering what else is out there and worth buying.

Also, a note for Keywack users - if you have the JLK installed, sometimes the kid is able to change it to Japanese input and the program can crash because of it. So usually I try to get my son to use the mouse only.

By Melissa Kawahara on Thursday, July 8, 1999 - 6:51 pm:

Emi:

If you're interested in a good source for software reviews, check http://www.microweb.com/pepsite/index.html. Scroll way down the page to "Children's Software Revue" on the left side, where you can search for info and reviews of software by intended age, features, emphasis, etc. (The reviewed titles are all American, I think.) I don't think they discuss any freeware, but if you're going to put out $$$, the info is very helpful.

By Emi on Thursday, July 15, 1999 - 3:25 am:

Thank you, Melissa! I'm heading there to check it out!

Someone sent me this information by email. I haven't used this product so I don't vouch for it, just letting you know it's out there. Anyone used this software?

-----paste-----

http://www.praxisworks.com/software/

Praxisworks Software

Praxis Splasher -- Software for Toddlers!
Praxis Splasher lets toddlers have fun on the computer. In a safe environment, they can type away on the keyboard and click and move the mouse:

* When they press a key, they are rewarded with a large, colorful representation of the letter, number, or symbol on a black computer screen -- as well as a musical note, if Apple's QuickTime is installed on your computer.
* If they move the mouse, the letter moves around the screen.
* If they click the mouse, the letter changes color.

Praxis Splasher gives one- to three-year-olds an opportunity to get familiar with keyboards, mice, letters, sounds, and colors without the chance to do your computer any serious harm (besides peanut butter on the keyboard, of course).

By Joellyn Parry on Sunday, December 26, 1999 - 11:55 am:

We have a lot of cd-rom software, and after 3 years of my oldest playing with most of it, I would recommend the Reader Rabbit and JumpStart series and the Magic School Bus series the most. My girls were quickly bored with the interactive and animated storybooks. They didn't do much for them and were quite expensive for what they offer. Creative Wonders also offers Madeline Classroom Companion Preschool, Kindergarten, etc. If you need exact titles to know what to order online or what to look for, just let me know. My favorite Microsoft software is "My Personal Computer". The girls started with the free downloads of the Magic School Bus samples.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: