Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Diaper Services

Japan With Kids - Forums: Consumer Reports: Diaper Services
By Mark on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 1:31 pm:

I will be having my first child in July this year and do not want to rely on disposable diapers for many reasons. In Canada we have many cloth diaper services that will deliver and pick up diapers from your home for a fee. Has anyone ever heard of this here in Japan? thanks,
hegge@mac.com

By Quenby Hoffman Aoki on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 3:24 pm:

Don't know of any diaper services here, but I use cloth diapers with my son,who is now nearly three and nowhere near toilet trained! I wash them myself at home and it really isn't that much extra work if you have a dryer. GET A DRYER anyway, believe me it will save your sanity whether you use cloth diapers or not!!
Two loads of diapers a week is our average. I keep them in a bucket with a lid, and only wash them when the bucket is full.
Regular detergent, a little non-chlorine bleach, and cold water work fine. Yes, you do need to rinse the poopy ones off in the toilet but personally, I just put on a pair of gloves and do it. It's my own kid's poop, after all, so I don't mind.

Oh yes...use Japanese cloth diapers. They are thin but very absorbent. You can buy them at "Akachan Honpo" or most department stores. North American ones are too thick and fluffy to rinse well in Japanese toilets. Get a neighborhood obasan to show you how to fold them...most older women will know, since when they raised their kids they didn't have disposables.

Hope this helps.

Quenby

By Irena on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 3:38 pm:

As I know, some nurseries use this cloth diapers from diaper service. Mothers at this nurseries have to pay for diaper rental fee + cleaning. They don't need to buy the diapers by themselves. You can check in the phone directory for diaper rental service. ( they call it like this) . But I am not sure whether they provide the services for individual or not.

By Karen on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 6:12 pm:

I think that the book Japan With Kids might have some listings for cloth diaper services in it. I don't have the book handy.

I'd second Quenby's suggestion of doing it yourself. It's really not that much work once you get in the swing of things and get a routine down.

With my toddler I do about two or three loads a week. When we are out of the house we use disposables. It's a good compromise for us (especially since most toddler clothes won't fit over a cloth-diapered butt).

I just wash in regular soap with about 1/4 cup of baking soda. I don't have a clothes dryer so I hang dry them and they bleach nicely in the sun and stay nice and white.

I recently started using diaper liners which eliminate the need for rinsing poopy diapers in the toilet (Quenby, ya gotta get some of these in a hurry!!). I don't know where to buy them here. I have a box of 1000 from the UK.

Good luck!

Karen

By Sunitha on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 6:33 pm:

My daughter is five months old.I use disposeable diapers always,but at times use cloth diapers to prevent a diaper rash.Cloth diapers are easier to clean and all that it requires is a little patience.Since i use a couple of them a day ,I just rinse it once by hand and the machine does the rest.

By Quenby Hoffman Aoki on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 6:49 pm:

Yo, Karen my friend, nice to bump into you here!
I know about the liners but to me they are throwaway and therefore defeat the purpose of using a cloth diaper, just my opinion, to each her own on the diaper front. I even use little cotton cloths for wipes when we're at home. I bought them online, but you can make them out of cut-up old towels or T-shirts.

Quenby

By Karen on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 7:07 pm:

Me again!

I just found a list of cloth-diapering services in Japan at http://www.birthintokyo.com/Rental.htm: (I don't know how current this list is.)

Hemmy Diaper Service (03) 3444-4491 (English spoken)

Seigyokusha (03)3700-5157, (03) 3467-7404, (03) 3682-1901 (Only in Japanese)

Setagaya Baby Shokai - (03) 3429-9071 (Only in Japanese)

Tokyo Diapers - (03)3607-5231 (Only in Japanese)

Baby Two-One - In Kobe: (078)242-1111 (Some English spoken)

Kobe Baby: (078) 452-1551 (English pamphlet available)

Quenby - My rationale for using diaper liners is that they are less than the size of a single Kleenex. I figure that flushing the toilet after rinsing a poopy diaper has about the same toll on the environment as a single liner. (Heh heh, I'm just squirming my way out of this one!)

Good idea about the cloth wipes. If you're doing cloth diapers already they are a total breeze to just chuck in with the diaper wash. I just made a whole bunch of new ones up by cutting up all my New Year's hand towels that all the local grocers gave me (this is probably a serious faux pas, however, so keep quiet!).

Karen

By Cornelia on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 9:29 pm:

Actually I found that those New Year's towels make great diapers. Something about terricloth... I didn't like the diapers provided by the diaper services (sort of like linen towels). They leaked all over the place. But that terri cloth was much better at soaking stuff up.

I gave up on the diaper service, switched to throwaways, and then back to cloth after I realized that the daycare center was changing every hour on the hour regardless of whether or not a change was needed. What a waste! Us working mothers had to take our own used diapers back home (cloth or throwaway), so that was how I could see that about 50% were bone dry!

By Quenby Hoffman Aoki on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 3:29 pm:

Just a quickie....didn't mean to sound critical about the liners,Karen. I am no environmental purist by any means....I even eat at (gasp) McDonald's sometimes. The fact that we are even considering cloth diapers here shows we are trying and that's a good thing.

Peace. Great use for those little towels, BTW!

Quenby

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: