Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Diapers and "Pull-ups"

Japan With Kids - Forums: Consumer Reports: Diapers and "Pull-ups"
By A.K. on Wednesday, July 14, 1999 - 8:19 am:

I just want to warn you. "Torepan man" pull-up diapers by Unicharm leave much to be desired. I recently bought the 9-14 kg child package of 21 pieces. The price is the same for traditional wrap diapers but my child can put these on by herself. She is almost potty trained, though she still has accidents at night. These pull-ups do not hold much. I have had wet beds three times now, because of "overflow". Much better are the "Moony" brand. I like them better than the Japanese "Pampers" which aren't as good as the American-made "Pampers".

By Emi on Thursday, July 15, 1999 - 12:44 am:

Diapers for toddlers:

I think Moony diapers by Unicharm include the Moony-man, Torepan-man, and Oyasumi-man (and possibly others?).

blue_moonyman.gif red_moonyman.gif blue_trepanman.gif
Moony-man for boys; Moony-man for girls; Torepan-man for boys
red_moonyman.gif oyasumiman.gif
Torepan-man for girls; Oyasumi-man

Moony-man diapers are the regular industrial strength pullups. They can hold a lot of pee so they are good for night use. Or full time use if you aren't potty training yet.

Torepan-man diapers are supposed to be used to help potty train. Torepan-man diapers don't hold very much liquid. They are supposed to be used during the day to let the child feel uncomfortably wet when they urinate. They work pretty well for this! My son is using them at home during the day. They have little crying bears on them that become visible when the diaper is wet. You have to keep your eye on the diapers to make sure they aren't wet - they will leak if left wet too long.

Oyasumi-man diapers are supposed to be used at night during potty training. I'm not sure what the benefit of using these is over just using regular Moony-man diapers. When I saw the prices of both, I chose to keep using the Moony-man ones in the big size. The big size is for toddlers over 12 kilograms and comes with 33 diapers in a pack.

The Unicharm website (in Japanese) has most of the specifications for each type of diaper. Here is a direct link to the section on diapers for babies/toddlers.
Can anyone else tell us about other brands, types, and solutions? Have brands you like or hate?

November 2005 -- note from Admin: The product lines are ammended frequently. Here's the latest http://www.unicharm.co.jp/moony/index.html

By A.K. on Thursday, July 15, 1999 - 5:53 pm:

Wow! So Moony is also made by Unicharm! And these diapers are supposed to feel wet and at some point overflow! I feel so silly. Of course I can't read Japanese, so I just picked the package according to the picture. Thanks for the clarification.

By Emi on Monday, November 8, 1999 - 5:30 pm:

We have been using Torepan-man for my son who is 2 years and 7 months. We have recently had some real disasters with them leaking. Apparently his capacity is now higher than the capacity of the diapers, so they leak right away when he lets loose. We have also had some trouble at night with full strength tape style diapers... Hopefully he will get the idea soon! My friends tell me that boys take longer than girls to figure it out.

There's nothing like hitting the grocery store on the way home from hoikuen and having your kid walking around with wet pants in public!!! (sigh)

By Joanna on Wednesday, March 15, 2000 - 3:10 am:

I am currently pregnant and living in the U.S. We get taped Japanese programs and I once saw an advertisement for newborn diapers with a "flap" in the back to prevent loose stool from "blowing out" of the back of the diaper. (My son had a real problem with this.) Now, I would like to have my mother-in-law send them from Japan, but I have no idea who makes them or what they are called. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

By Wendy Tsubaki on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 6:40 am:

Hi! I am a first-time mom to this site (of a one-year-old) and live in Los Angeles, California. I've been purchasing the BEST diapers in the WORLD from a japanese store here and they have just told me they are discontinuing them! I am CRUSHED! Japan-made diapers -- or at least THIS company makes the BEST, most durable diapers in the world! Can anyone help me find them in Japan for shipment here (meaning online sales)? Most of the packaging is in Japanese and I cannot read any of it. But the one English word on the diaper bag is: "Friend" Has ANYONE heard of these? It's a pretty blue bag. Or if you haven't, is there another brand I should look into trying? I would SO appreciate any help on this! Thank you all in advance!

PS. there's what looks like a phone number on the back: 0120-205205

By Cornelia on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:31 pm:

Dear Wendy, I just checked my local drugstore and I was suprised by the changes in packaging since my daughter finished with diapers. Most of the packages have at least some English on them. "Unicharm" is a manufacturer and another group has the small word "Nepia" on them. But I saw nothing with the word "Friendly". Maybe the manufacturer is changing the product packaging over? There was a lot of stuff with Winnie the Pooh, and of course Mickey Mouse, Merries, Goon, Pampers. That is indeed a phone number, a toll-free phone number. Here's a picture of about half of the total display:
photo of diaper display

By Admin on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 6:25 pm:

Here's a picture that Wendy sent to me of the "Friend" diapers.
(picture of the Friend diaper package)

By Bethan Hutton on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 11:41 am:

I haven't seen Friend diapers around for ages - it's certainly not one of the widely available brands here.

By Monica S. on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 7:39 pm:

I'm practicing EC with my 3mo son for about 1month. Its wonderful! Is there someone practicing it near Tokyo? What about new moms? Give a try!
I know its a practice found in Japan, but don't know where. Does anybody know?

Don't know what is Ellimination Communication (EC)? http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/

By Cornelia on Monday, April 4, 2005 - 3:51 pm:

Dear Monica S., sounds pretty interesting! I know when I travel in Bali, the very little kids just pee in the gutter most of the time, and don't wear underpants or diapers. Diapers are a luxury item there anyway (either cloth or throwaway). I'm not sure how to integrate that sort of potty training into a culture that is hyper vigilent about personal sanitation (Japan -- just don't look at the kitchens and the tiles in the bathrooms!). And for me mobility was always a big issue (read "convenience") with all the stress of working and getting childcare, etc.

By Nancy on Tuesday, April 5, 2005 - 9:52 am:

Cornelia, as for what you observed in Bali, grown men(and not just taxi drivers) pee in the street here at night all the time. Spitting is also very common. So much for personal sanitation. Monica, I looked at the website and didn't see any contacts in Japan, not that this surprised me. It is an interesting concept - do keep us posted with your progress.

By Monica S. on Tuesday, April 5, 2005 - 2:01 pm:

So far I dont know anyone ECing in Japan, but I contacted 2 mothers that used to live here and one of them even had tatami (like me) in her house. Some people would think that EC means a smelly house, but it depends on where you take your child when he needs to go! So far Ive had only 2 big messes (but what I call mess is not worst than having to wash cloth diapers). For me its turning into convenience cause
1. I dont waste money
2. dont waste water
3. dont waste time changing my baby
4. Dont waste time doing laundry
And that extra time I share with my little one taking him to his little potty bought in a 100 yen shop. And with the extra money I still dont know what to do.

By Trupti Gandhi on Tuesday, April 5, 2005 - 2:43 pm:

good going monica...

i have two kids and 3 nieces and nephews... my kids wore diapers as i am lazy... but my mom never let my brothers' kids do that... they wore diapers only when they went for a party or a marriage or some place where toilets might not be easily available...

and in india i do not know many people my generation who ever wore diapers...!!!

from the infancy the kids use the bathroom... in the begining the infants are placed between mom's or an adult's two feet... and they do their deed... so really early they start using the potty/toilets... i think this is really good way if you think of reduce, reuse and recycle!!

but easy for me to say as my kids are 7 and 4 now!! :D

By Caroline A. on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 9:58 pm:

Hello! Does anyone know if it is possible to get organic diapers here in Japan? (if so - were?) Thanks in advance!

By Yuko Kubota on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 1:20 am:

Hi Caroline A.,
By "organic diapers" do you mean cloth diapers? If so, yes, they are very common here in Japan (as well as disposable diapers) and you can get them at any place you can get baby goods like clothes and dishwear. Ask for "nuno-omutsu."
There are also special buckets available that is divided into two sections for you to soak the diapers.

By Chika on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 10:52 am:

...or do you mean diapers made of organic cotton? if you read japanese there are some online shopping sites that sell imported organic cotton products.this site lists alot of different types of diapers and links to online sellers...http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/nagoyancafe/2011
the links are a little old but it has the brand/product name in japanese so you can just copy paste into a search engine...
and theres the made in earth company which has domestic organic cotton products http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/earth/index.htm
hope this helps

By Anne Bergasse on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 3:33 pm:

Also there are diaper services here which drop off clean diapers and pick up the dirty ones. We started out with a 110 newborn size per week and ended with about 40 L size per week during the 2-year period we used them for each of our babies. The price is a set fee over 80 diapers but it works out to be cheaper than using the disposable diapers and you don't have all the wash up that makes having cotton diapers a bit of a hassle. These services are so popular at home (Canada) that you can even specify environmentally-friendly detergent. The service we used here was Baby Center 0120-352062. We didn't specify detergent and don't know if you can, but you can certainly give it a try. You can get diaper covers in Japan anywhere but they are quite pricy. I ordered mine from Mother-Ease Inc., a Canadian online service and they delivered here no problem.
Hope that helps. cheers, anne

By Monica S. on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 11:40 pm:

Here I bought flushable disposable pads, that I really like. The disposable liners are also very good quality, and you can even reuse them. The problem is the price (shipping cost from Australia)
http://www.eenee.com/

By Monica S. on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 12:17 am:

Here an update about my Elimination Communication experience.
My baby is 5mo and Ive been taking him to the potty from 10 weeks. We started relying on disposables, then changed to cloth diapers and now just a cloth under baby`s bottom. We re already so used to the routine and I just forgot how to change a diaper. The last accident I had was when he was wearing a disposable and I had to change him, when we were out (I found I`d forgotten how to!). We`re now almost accident free, except for some pee misses. Some days, like today, we don`T have misses at all, even we went to church (!).
I find it especially convinient when we re out, cause it`s just a matter of taking him to the toilet/bushes on the street and don`t have to worry about changing facilities.
I`ve become so used to EC that I even browse the internet or type while holding baby to his potty with one hand.
The best part of all is that I feel I can actually communicate with my little one, even if he can`t talk. We are much more a team than before, even if we`d have misses.

For more info visit http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/

By Anne Bergasse on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 12:03 pm:

Monica
I was fascinated by this EC thing you mentioned back in April and went to the site and did some research. I think the concept is amazing and I wished that I had read about it sooner. My girl was just over 3 at the time and still uninterested in using the toilet despite trying all the usual suggestions for encouraging it. Once I finally had the nerve to remove her diaper and let her play naked, she was almost fully trained in a couple of weeks.
With the exception of a diaper at night, she never wears a diaper anymore. The
trick is to have a small toilet handy and to pay attention for a couple of days. We had only a couple of small accidents and nothing that wasn't easily cleaned up. We are now trying it out on my 2 year old and I'm sure it will happen sooner rather than later. Thank you for introducing this sensible concept.
cheers, anne

By Chika on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 9:11 am:

trupti,
im really interested to know if the kids wore diapers at night?
Id also like to ask monica if her baby wears a diaper at night...
i had wanted to try EC...but i dont remember why i didnt...now my daughter is a year old...i did find a site in japanese about EC...and a EC blog written by a japanese lady...

...Ive found that some japanese moms just use cloth underwear when they start potty training and or those training pants made of cloth with a waterproof lining...i also hear that they start potty training in the summer because its usually too hot to wear a lot of cloths so the baby just runs around in a tshirt etc...which makes me think that there are alot of moms ECing in japan...however i have yet to hear what happens at night...my daughter really pees alot at night...

By Trupti Gandhi on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 10:46 am:

chika,

the kids did not wear diapers at the night even.... most of the time the mom got up to "catch" at interval of about 3 hours or more depending upon the child's age.... if you are breast feeding your baby it is even simpler... just before giving milk you could take them to the toilet...

i woke up 2 times in the night (with help of alarm) to "catch" while i was potty training my kids.... and we in india keep a long sheet of rubber under the kids' washable quilt/matress... (often made at home with old clothes so it is soft for the new babies...) so the whole thing does not get soiled and we keep about 4 such washable matress at hand... for the whole infancy... and we sterilise them and keep for the next child... or to give it off to someone in need...

best of luck... and you are welcome to ask more questions...

trupti:)

By Trupti Gandhi on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 10:50 am:

chika,

to add here... my neighbour (japanese) is right now potty training her 2yr 5-6 months old... so she makes him wear a diaper in the night...

but for you if your daughter pees a lot during night... try to give her lesser liquid from about 2-3 hours before her bed time... and insist on more solids (ofcourse depends on her age as well).. and offer only little or very little water or whatever liquid she takes in small batches... i think it might help...

trupti:)

By Monica S. on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 11:50 am:

Since we`re early starters, my son doesn`t pee at night, even if he nurses a lot. So he doesn`t wear diapers at any time.
I`ve heard a lot that young babies doesn`t pee at night, even if they`re not ECed, but really don`t know for older babies.
You could try joining the forum http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?s=efaddb275f5bf4a54bc6a3502e8c057d&f=227 at mothering.com, and post your questions. In fact there`re a lot of late starters and may have good hints.
-----

Chika, what is the Japanese site you found? So far I don`t know much about EC in Japan. Only that I found "underwear for babies that don`t wear diapers from birth" in a 100 yen shop (sad thing that they`re very bad quality). I
also found that older people don`t get much surprised when I take my son to the toilet. I guess that during the war EC should`ve been common practice, as well as breastfeeding.
----
about offering less liquids, I think it might not be good idea if she`s still nursing. I know 1 year old kids that are almost exclusively breastfed and still ECed. I would go for using diapers at night rather than offering less liquids, if that is the case. I think the best is to have a potty near the bed so you don`t have to wake up completely.

Hope this helped!

By Chika on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 12:30 pm:

hi guys!
thanks for answering my questions...

the blog is http://www.comfybaby.com/blog/01/index.php
but its was difficult for me to read/follow...

http://www.comfybaby.com/new/ is the main site i think...

http://www.comfybaby.com/shop2/catalog/index.php
is the shopping part..here you can choose language etc...

By Ima on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 4:15 pm:

HI, i hope someone can help me on this. Is there any link or website for Nepia in English? My bby using Nepia but i don't understand a single word written on the packaging or website.

Currently using Nepia Doremi diaperpants but wish to know if this brand selling other types of types.

By Admin on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 9:21 am:

Dear Ima, This is not going to help much, but Nepia Doremi diapers are made by Oji Paper Group. Here is what they have in English: http://www.ojipaper.co.jp/english/c_domain/products/products_8.html
Probably there is a phone number and an address (maybe also a web site) printed on the package. If you can call, you might be able to find someone who can speak a bit of English and answer some of your questions.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: