Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Bathroom Fixtures

Japan With Kids - Forums: Repairs and Maintenance: Bathroom Fixtures
By Dawn on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 3:44 pm:

By any chance would anyone know if it is possible to (easily) buy used bathroom fixtures in Japan, and how to find a dealer? To be specific, I want to replace the basin on top of my toilet. It is the sink type, and has become unsightly due to mineral buildup from the water.
(Alternatively, does anyone have a good method for removing mineral buildup?)
Thanks in advance for your advice.

By Cornelia on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 9:59 am:

Dear Dawn,
I have also had to chip and scrub away at extreme calcification on pipe joints (unsightly because they are all exposed) as well as deposits in toilets and also the wash basins at top. I found some sandpaper sponges at the 100 yen shop, that worked on toilet rings and streaks and also in the basin (though I needed more than one, they came in packages of two), and which did not scratch the enamel. They were a lot cheaper than the "miracle" sponges I saw demonstrated at a department store once. I don't know how serious your problem is or if you've already solved it! But if you are so frustrated that you are ready to replace the fixture, you could even give it a go with some heavy steel wool!

here's a picture of the sand paper sponge at http://www.tokyowithkids.com/discussions/messages/494/1566.html

By Dawn on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 10:13 am:

Dear Cornelia, Thanks for the advice about the sponges. I'll look for them at the local 100 yen shop.

By Nancy on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:21 pm:

Mineral build up can sometimes be cleaned using a mixture of vinegar, baking soda and liquid soap with a non abrasive sponge. Not sure what you mean by "miracle sponge" ? Are these the white melamine sponges? You can buy them in bulk at Costco and I have seen them at the 100 shops. Cleaning without the use of toxic chemicals is possible, but initially more time consuming if it is more than routine cleaning. The other useful tool is a small steam cleaner.

By Cornelia on Saturday, October 1, 2005 - 9:12 am:

I bought a sandpaper type of attachment for my electric power drill. Unfortunately it was not so useful because the surfaces are not flat on bathrooom fixture or pipes, and the steel brush bit was too rough to use on the chrome pipes, though it worked OK on the steel pipes.

And those sandpaper sponges pictured above last for about 5 minutes. Though they are safe to use on the older chrome, they break down fast once wet, so take a look at the other options at the 100 yen shop while you are there.

By Jarryraed on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 3:28 pm:

yes it is not difficult to find a bathroom fixtures in Japan. You also search on Internet. Their is most of bathroom remodeling company that complete your needs,

By Jarryraed on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 3:35 pm:

yes it is not difficult to find a bathroom fixtures in Japan. You also search on Internet. Their is most of bathroom remodeling company that complete your needs,

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: