Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Electrical Appliances

Japan With Kids - Forums: Repairs and Maintenance: Electrical Appliances
By Cornelia on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 12:40 pm:

It took me a while to figure out who I should be calling for service for a National refrigerator. Apparently this is one of those pieces of knowledge that locals learn as they're growing up through some form of osmosis. Actually I figure that the kanji for the parent company, Matsushita, are somewhere on the labeling inside but I'm just plain illiterate. Another one that I had trouble with is Corona.

Here are some service numbers that might be useful to others:

National and Panasonic = Matsushita Denki Tokyo 03-3437-1121
* Service for National Home Appliances -- 3436-6857 (When you call specify which type, for example a refrigerator = resoku)
I was interested in replacing a gasket on my fridge. A new gasket for the bottom door is Y2800 and the best place to get it is through a Panasonic shop. There are also 12 direct service centers in Tokyo but the one for my area is very inconvenient to get to (it is in Setagaya ward and I am in Bunkyo ward).

Hitachi Home Appliances (includes air conditioners) -- 0120-31-2168 When it gets hot and nasty this phone number can have a busy signal for EVER.

If anyone else has numbers for other companies OR has a correction to make to "list" please consider posting it here!

If you can't find the service phone number in the phone book (NTT English Townpage" or the English yellow pages, you can ask in an electronics shop. For example you can go to Olympic, Bic Camera, Yodobashi Camera, Sakura, etc. and try to get them to help find the part or give you a phone number to call for service. Or look for a phone number in the manual for the appliance, if you still have it. In my case I have only a few manuals for the two or three things I bought new.

By kit on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 2:31 pm:

Cornelia has posted a lot of
helpful information. Here's a short list of Japanese words for electrical items you might need to have fixed.

Refrigerator = rei-zo-ko
Fan = sen-pu-ki
Air conditioner = e-a-kon; kura
Vacuum cleaner = so-ji-ki
Heater = danbo-ki-gu (wall unit)
Heater = su-to-bu (gas heater)
Stove = ren-ji
Oven = o-bun
Microwave = denshi-ren-ji
Television = te-re-bi
Washing machine = sen-taku-ki
Dishwasher = shok-ki-arai-ki
Telephone = denwa

and a couple of usual terms:

'x' is broken = 'x' wa ko-sho desu.

Please fix 'x' = 'x' o nao-shi-te kuda-sai.

electrician = denki-koo
electrical engineer = denki gishi
electric current = den-ryu
warranty (guarantee) = ho-sho
It has a warranty = ho-sho ga tsui-te i-masu

Good luck! Kit Nagamura

By jake on Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 12:14 pm:

Repairing an appliance here in Japan has to be one of the most difficult adventures I have had to date. The complacence for repairing an old appliance just goes to show you how controlled the consumer distribution chain really is. I found the service center phone number with the help of the internet, but was shocked when they told me they could not send someone for 4 days. Well that mean all the food will have gone bad for sure by then in this heat. Not wanting to wait, I found the problem part and called back to find where I could buy the part. They said sorry, we can not sell you the part and there is no place in Tokyo to buy the part! This still seems unbelievable to me! If you go to the Tokyo metropolitan web page and read how they want people to recycle and use appliances long they are for sure missing some of the basic infrastructure to achieve this goal.

If any one knows where in Tokyo I can buy a Sanyo replacement part for my refrigerator please let me know.

Thanks, Jake

By Cornelia on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 2:56 pm:

Dear Jake,
I hope this is not too late to be of assistance to you, but any electric shop that will service your brand name can order the part. And perhaps with a bit of gentle persuasion might be willing to re-sell it to you without performing the repair themselves. The hard part is finding that shop in your neighborhood. You can probably get that info from the same Sanyo number you called originally but you just weren't asking the right question... Yes, extremely frustrating. Another place that orders parts for various appliances is BIC camera (very large branches are in Ikebukuro and also at Yurakucho). But they may not order everything that you might wish for. Unfortunately I am in the USA at the moment and can not get to my stack of business cards, or I'd give you some phone numbers.

By Cornelia on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 7:57 pm:

LG brand clothes washing machine
Toll free for service: 0120-813-023

I placed a call at about 10:00 am. I explained that though I had bought the machine last year, I did no have the receipt and the store did not stamp the warrantee card (which I do still have along with the manual).

I explained that the water was dripping into the machine even after the cycle was completely finished. I was told that under the one year warrantee the valve would be replaced for free. But otherwise it would cost Y9000. They could tell from the serial number roughly when the machine was manufactured, so even if I didn't have the receipt it might be possible to tell how old the machine is.

The LG repairman came at about 5:05 and replaced the valve in the washing machine. He spoke great English! We chatted about baseball.

I told him that I didn't recognize the brand name. I thought maybe the machine is made in China. He said it is a Korean brand, and only has maybe 10% of market in Japan. He said he is the only LG service man for Tokyo 23-ku and part of Saitama. The machines are quite good and there are only few problems. He said I am like rest of Japanese if I don't recognize the name. LG first started selling in Japan in 1998, the year of the Korean Olympic Games.

Anyway, no charge. He decided that the number was fairly recent and the machine was probably still under warrantee!

By Liat Friedman on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 10:56 am:

Hi everyone,

A long shot, but I'll give it a try.

We came to Japan with our Loewe TV (a German brand), and it broke a couple of days ago. Loewe has no representatives here in Japan, so we're quite lost. Any ideas as for whom to turn to and possible costs? (maybe it's cheaper to buy a 2nd hand TV?)

Thanks!

Liat

By Scott Hancock on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 11:11 am:

Liat- Definitely don't bring it. There are plenty of TVs here!

By Liat Friedman on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 2:01 pm:

Scott - thanks for your message, but the TV is already here in Japan - we've had it here for a year and half with no problems until a few days ago. Any suggestions?

By Liat Friedman on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 6:22 pm:

A dear friend gave me this man's telephone number. He fixes televisions and stereos, speaks perfect English, kind, honest and professional.

His company's name is: Tom Service.
His name: Mr. Tomoji Shibayama
Mobile: 090-3529-3531
Fax: 03-3742-1416
mail: tomtom3@dream.ocn.ne.jp (but I suggest you try his mobile first).

By Rowena Adamos on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 1:58 pm:

Hi! Can anybody please help me? We borrowed a friend's videocam for my son's first birthday last week, but when we returned it to them, it seems that the latch that would lock the LCD monitor was broken. So now we have to have it fix, but we don't know any repair shops here. Do you know someplace preferably here in Tokyo? Thanks a bunch in advance!

By Scott Hancock on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 2:03 pm:

What's the make & model? Usually best to bring/send it to maker. This is what the shops do, anyway.
If it's Sony, their HQ has a service center that accepts any of their product.

By Tokyoresident on Saturday, March 1, 2008 - 10:45 pm:

Hi,
I am shifting apartment. Can someone guide me how can I get someone to shift AirCon and Dishwasher. Basically I need an electrician and plumber to remove these appliances from current apartment and install in new apartment.

Many Thanks.

By Yuko_k on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 - 8:39 am:

Hi Tokyoresident,

Usually the moving company can give you advise on that. If memory serves me right, some of them offer discounts.

Otherwise, just call the local electric appliance store. A shop around the corner will do, and it would be a good chance to get in touch with the neighborhood shop you can rely on in the future.

I don't know how dishwashers work (I've never used one), but how did you attach the one in your current apartment? It's basically the same thing.

By Admin on Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 7:20 pm:

Was looking to replace aircon supports. Mine were 33.5 cm across the top. 36.5 cm across the base. Walls were 5 mm thick! Held in place with screws (only two in the case photographed, one for each stand).
At my local denkiyasan (electronics shop) the new ones offered me were longer across the base, with thinner walls and they cost Y700 a piece.
That's Y1400 for a significantly flimsier product.
What's their purpose? Off the ground, out of the moisture, so perhaps rust prevention? Air circulation (can't think of why)?
picture of the supports after removal

Noise reduction? I have four of these units sitting on our balcony, and three of them no longer have the stands. We recently had a guest in the one room when it was hitting 34C all day every day for the last 10 days, and yes, I could definitely hear the inverter running through the ceiling downstairs.
At the moment I've just set the unit right onto the balcony deck. I'm hoping to find cheaper supports once I figure out what the heck they are called in Japanese. Does anyone know?

By Pato on Friday, September 23, 2011 - 6:37 pm:

Regarding the question about the Aircon stands or Aircon Base. Using this search term:
機器据付台(エアコン取付架台)
I found:
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/megastore/c/0000000112
Which has two types for sale. The cheap white one is one-size-fits-all for about 円150 a piece. The more expensive one is still cheaper than your local shop, running 円410 a piece for the 35cm ones. These prices supposedly include shipping though there might be a minimum order required(?)
They contain the vibrating noise (primary purpose).

AND
Here you can get the other things you might need such as tape, pipe fasteners, etc.
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/megastore/c/0000000101/
Way cheaper than at your local shop. Even after you pay shipping (unless of course you only get one item).

By Donniewalburn on Wednesday, April 2, 2014 - 5:02 pm:

Having a fresh hair style is important to both of men and women.Before making a hair style in salon maybe you can first buy a hair wig to wear and have a look if the hairstyle is fit for you or not.There are various types of best synthetic wigs which can be got from http://www.hairwigsall.com/categories/Synthetic-Wigs/ such as mens black wig and other hair colors of hair wigs for people to choose.You can choose it according to your preference.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: