Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Bedding (Futons, Kakebutons, Etc.)

Japan With Kids - Forums: Repairs and Maintenance: Bedding (Futons, Kakebutons, Etc.)
By Cornelia on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 11:51 am:

Well, I just had my double sized feather blanket picked up for cleaning (they came to my apartment and had a large plastic bag ready to stuff it into).

I received a visit about 5 weeks ago by a door-to-door saleman who developed a nervous cough when he saw I was a foreigner and practically fainted. So I thought I was rid of him. But about 30 minutes later he came back with a colleague who was quite pleasant, and they told me that their company cleans futons and feather blankets (and I believe also wool blankets). The long and short of it was that if I sent my stuff for cleaning before 1 April I could get it done for half price.

However, 4 weeks ago I was still freezing, so I finally let my blanket go today. The cost will be Y3400 plus Y170 tax and it will be returned in about a week by takubin. Single sized are somewhat cheaper.

And I think the date was not fixed to get the discount, so if anyone else wants to call these folks:

Maruhati -- toll free telephone 0120-46-4908

By Cornelia on Sunday, April 6, 2003 - 4:32 pm:

The Maruhati pick-up guy said "about one week" and sure enough I got a call this morning at 9 am to deliver my clean feather blanket. (Yep, on Sunday). I asked if they could please wait until 9:30 because I just woke up and they came at 13:00. Fortunately I was in.

The thick plastic blue bag had a cut in one side, so I was worried that the blanket might have been damaged, but fortunately not. Still I would suggest examining the delivery carefully (I didn't until the deliveryman had left), just in case.

The hours that you can call are about 8:00 to 8:30. And they also do carpets judging from the picture in the brochure (not wall-to-wall but the kind you can roll up).

Maruhati -- toll free telephone 0120-46-4908

By Natasha on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:29 pm:

Dear Cornelia, Thanks for the info. Maruhati just came by to pick up a feather blanket (kakebuton). They told me Y2500 plus tax over the phone, but the man who picked it up said it would be Y3000 because it is not a summer blanket. I didn't understand and he said it is about 1.3 kilos. A summer blanket would have less feathers in it.
The tag on the blanket says 150cm x 210cm, 1.4 kg, so he was pretty accurate at guessing the weight. But I thought I had told the lady over the phone that it was 1.4 kilo.
Interesting. So I just called again, and this time the quote was Y3000, so maybe the girl answering my first call on 14 October made a mistake (or maybe I did? ...they do not speak English) Anyway, it should come back in a week!

By Natasha on Saturday, November 1, 2003 - 1:04 pm:

My blanket came back Thursday (10/30) by takyubin and total cost was Y3150. No cuts in my bag!

By Mina on Saturday, October 2, 2004 - 4:43 pm:

I want to dispose off my futons,
these are two in nember. Do I just roll them up real small and just dispose with regular garbage or do i need to buy stickers for it?

Thanks

By Pato on Friday, October 8, 2004 - 4:43 pm:

I guess no one knows about the sticker question (since no one has answered it yet). I imagine that the actual implementation of the stickers might even vary a bit from city to city.

But I have seen a lot of futons in the garbage by way of having been stripped of the outside material, and just the stuffing put in several bags for burnable garbage, if it is cotton. I even thought maybe it is somee kind of annual ritual to replace futons!

I did see a futon (a whole one) rejected by the garbage pickup. It had one of those yellow notices taped onto it. But I couldn't read the notice so I did not know why it was rejected. I thought maybe because it was put out on the wrong day, but I really was just guessing.

By Yuko Kubota on Friday, October 8, 2004 - 5:55 pm:

Mina, it depends on which city you live in. It's best to phone your ward office and ask. If it's bulk waste where a sticker will be required, you will have to make an appointment by phone anyway.

I'm sure you've recieved an illustrated guide showing how you should put out your garbage. I think there is a phone number of the section you should call. If you don't know, you can just try any public number.

But looking at my Yokohama version, futon differs depending on whether it's a kake-buton, or mattresses with springs or without springs, and stuffings can be collected at different places for recycling...so I figured that's what you were wondering about.

Be sure you get the right info, because once you buy the sticker, it can't be refunded.

Btw, you can try folding it small and putting out on your ordinary garbage day, but good boys a and girls do the best to reduce waste :)

On a related note, yes, it's most comfortable to replace your stuffings or coverings once in several years, but since it's a hassle, people just replace the whole futon.

Speaking of futon, what's with these endless rainy days?? It's October and we're hardly having days to dry our futon?? Let's be ecology conscious and save the planet!

By Shibuya on Friday, October 8, 2004 - 8:26 pm:

I was planning to throw out
some large-sized furniture
recently, so I called the local
ward office for information.
They told me when the next
pick op day would be (usually
once or twice a month) and I
had to make an appointment
and tell them my address. I
then had to buy a certain kind
of stamp, proof that I had paid,
to stick on the furniture.I
bought the stamp (sticker) at a
nearby conveneience shop,
stuck it on the cabinet, and
put it outside on collection
day, and that was that.

By Nancy on Friday, October 8, 2004 - 10:32 pm:

Yuko, in Naka ward in Yokohama, a futon is considered "oversize garbage" It's a pity they can't be put into the fiber recycling, along with old clothes since everything from that is disinfected and shredded and used to make items such as cotton gloves.

By Yuko Kubota on Friday, October 8, 2004 - 11:20 pm:

Thanks Nancy. Then I guess it's the same sticker situation in our Kanagawa-ku, because basically all of Yokohama has the same regulations, as far as waste is concerned.

Probably the reason they can't accept it for fiber recycling is because the trouble and fee they'd have to go through to separate parts of futon is just not worth it. If you put out the stuffings by yourself, I'm sure fiber recyclers will accept the stuffings even in Naka Ward.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: