Return to
Japan With Kids Home Page

Forum Main Page
Keyword Search
New Posts
Last Week

Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Cooking / Baking

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Cooking / Baking

By Monica Chapuli on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:56 am:

I have a recipe for a cake, but I do not understand some words.
Can somebody help me?
The words are "nutmeg", "1 tps salt" and "baking soda".
Many thanks for your help!

By Yuko Kubota on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 10:49 am:

Hi Monica,

Hmm, cake with nutmeg sounds yummy!

Nutmeg is a kind of spice. They're available at supermarkets around the area where spices like cinnamon are kept. Say "natsu-megu" to make it easier for Japanese clerks to look for it for you.

Are you sure it's not "1 tSP salt"? Tsp stands for "teaspoon". A teaspoon is a small-sized spoon typically used for tea of course.

Baking soda is a kind of powder used to expand and soften the cake when it is baked. In Japan we call it "baking soda" too, and the pronunciation is not that different, except that we tend to emphasize the "SO" part. They usually come in tiny cans.

Hope this helps.

By Mary Tokuhara on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 10:20 pm:

Hi Monica,
Baking soda in Japanese is called Źd‘‚ Juusou. There are two kinds of baking soda sold, one is for cleaning (sold in big cans) and the other is for baking. Baking soda for baking is sold in very small packs, and are usually arranged on shelves together with all the baking ingredients. I normally use juusou (baking soda) in Devil's cake, banana bread... the cake comes out darker and the texture is more spongy than when baking powder is used.
Hope this helps,

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.