Return to
Japan With Kids Home Page

Forum Main Page
Keyword Search
New Posts
Last Week

Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Venue for Party

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Entertainment - Kids Parties: Venue for Party
By Admin on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 7:59 pm:

Checked out the Tokyo Metropolitan Children's Hall in Shibuya.
1-18-24 Shibuya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-002
Tel: (03)3409-6361, Fax (03)3407-8364
time slots for the maximum 100 persons room are 9-noon, 13:00-16:00 and 9-16:00. 3 hours slots cost Y4500 7 hour slot is Y9000

You can go in person to make reservation and fill out application form, or you can call, make a reservation over the phone and have the appllication form mailed to you. You still have to take it in, in person.

After submitting submission form your form must be sealed with a hanko before they can confirm the reservation. Eventally you must pay must paid by bank transfer or postal account transfer before the date is final.

The jidokan is closed one or two days a month, but not on holidays as a rule.

If you call them you can try saying "tanjobi party" or "nikai uketsuke kudasai" to get put through to the right place for making a reservation date (second floor desk).

By Lindsey Robinson on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 7:58 am:

where can I hold a birthday party in Tokyo for a 5 year old boy?

By Kit on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 9:33 am:

This is a question all of us have struggled with, so I wrote an article in the Tokyo Weekender giving a variety of suggestions. You can call them for a copy, or find it at the following address:

Hopefully others will chime in with new ideas and info; I find this site very helpful in that regard! Good luck, and happy birthday to the lucky boy.
Kit Nagamura

By Gloria Torrijos on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 10:26 pm:

your article, as you says yourself, is very helpful if you want or you have to celebrate the birthday party outdoors.
Do you have any idea of any german speaking clown/magician for the case you want and you can celebrate the party indoors.
Thank you
Gloria Torrijos

By Bethan Hutton on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 11:17 pm:

We had my son's party in a karaoke room last year - booked their biggest room in advance (very cheap early on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon), got drinks and snacks from them, brought our own birthday cake, and everyone had a good time singing Japanese and English children's songs (and the grown-ups found some other stuff to sing too). And we left the karaoke staff with the clearing up... a very easy party option.

We used a branch of the Karaoke-kan chain, but I think most large karaoke places have party rooms.

Also, the Children's Castle in Aoyama has a room on the second floor which can be hired for private parties. They do the catering, but a friend who did it said it was very reasonably priced.

By Kit on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 3:55 pm:

Dear Gloria,
Actually, my article was aimed toward people who want to hold parties indoors, but not at their own home. If you are thinking of a home party, there are hundreds of fun options, I would guess, such as treasure hunts, charades, cooking events, etc. which you could do in the language you choose. But a German-speaking clown? You've got me there. You could contact a magician I know named Simon
(phone 090-1798-4083) and ask him if he has any helpful information. If you find something, please post it, okay? Thanks, and best of luck!

By Daniella Wong on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 2:20 pm:

Speaking about Entertainment for kids. I'm planning a toddler (2yr) party. Now I think they are still too young for Magicians and clowns. How about someone who knows how to play a piano, guitar or any kind of musical instruments who can dance,sing and lead the kids to sing and dance. I think kids in this age group prefer that. If anyone out there can refer me to someone I would greatly appreciate it.

By tiorah simantov on Saturday, November 6, 2004 - 8:52 pm:

Hi everyone
I am looking for a place to hold a birthday paty as my home is too small.
Any suggestions in the Hiroo-Ebisu, Omotesando area?
I would like to bring my own food to serve from home...

By Moemi & Ririka on Tuesday, February 8, 2005 - 9:00 am:

I would like to celebrate my daughter's birthday at the National Children's Castle. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Note from Admin: The English language portion of their web site can be found at

By Pato on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 12:12 pm:

Dear Tiorah, I have found that it is really difficult to find a venue where you are allowed to bring your own food. Every ward office has meeting and study rooms for hire (either in the city hall or in other city owned buildings at other locations) but no one seems to have "party" rooms available. It's really a tough nut to crack. Some libraries also have rooms available for hire. But again food is not allowed. The only alternative that I can think of is a picnic in a park! Some bigger parks even have BBQ areas that can be reserved (but the system for reserving can be mindbogglingly complicated and you have to deal with the unpredictability of the weather).

Some larger apartment houses have party rooms which can be reserved by their residents. Then food is OK and they even have a washing up area sometimes. Maybe you might have a friend living in such a building and willing to host your party. These are easier to find a bit further out from the center.

By Bethan Hutton on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 2:36 pm:

Some wards also have local "kaikan" meeting halls (often small buildings with a several rooms of different sizes) which can be hired. I have been to a party at one held by a group of mothers from my son's then hoikuen, and we ordered in bento from a local restaurant, as well as bringing along our own snacks and drinks, so I presume food from home would have been OK too. It could be worth asking at your ward office if there is one in your area and what the rules are for hiring it.

By Yuko Kubota on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 2:44 pm:

In the recent 15 years or so here in Yokohama City, I've been either giving or participating in numerous pot-luck parties with or without children, using public spaces like the chiku center, community house and other similar spaces. All spaces we've used openly allow people to eat and drink including a bit of alcohol, as long as they follow the rule of cleaning up by yourself. Some facilities even have kitchens where we'd hold non-profitable cooking lessons. I don't see why other cities can't allow it. Maybe you should double check to the staff.

By Letitia Verschoore on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 9:42 pm:


Don't know which area u're in but Tiara Koto Public Centre,u can rent the function room and u can either self bring in food or use outside catering. Here's their web site There is a cafe right inside this centre and u can make use of. Of course it will be rather costing cos' u need to pay the venue rental and food/drinks seperately. I was looking for venue fr my son's 5 yrs old birthday. It's very hard specially I don't speak the language. However, I finally select a family restaurant which turn out VERY WELL. I selected weekday (which was my son's actually birth date). The restaurant offer 1/2 of the restaurant fr us (43 pax including adult and children). We have space fr games and kids can wonder around freely (just not to go over to the side that was opened fr walk in guest). We had the place fm 3pm to 6pm. Light Buffet and drink bar. The price is very reasonable for the light buffet and the drink bar and including the service charge and tax. Adult is 1300 yen Children fm 3yrs old charge at 610 yen. Children age fm 6/7 above charge at 920 yen. Of course the price will be different if it is weekend.

We all have a very good time. Specially, for all moms it was some sort of break as well - no cooking for the dinner! When returned back home, kids shower and go to bed.

Oh, only I need a friend of mine to liaise with the restaurant due to language problem.

Perhaps, u can also check around the family restaurant around your living area, u may find something good too.

By Yumi Tachibana on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 10:51 pm:

Kids Paradise has a party room for children. It's near Sakura Shinmachi station on the Denen-toshi line, an extension of the Hanzomon line, only 4 stops by local train from Shibuya. It has also various party plans, for example attractions and activities by English speaking teacher, photos for party's memory and so on.
Further more details:

By Carin Smolinski on Saturday, September 3, 2005 - 11:26 pm:

The Fun House is available to rent for Birthday Parties for children under 5 on Saturday and Sundays from 1:15-3:15. Huge indoor play place provides a safe, clean, fun place for children to enjoy their special day. For children under 2, special mini parties on Fridays from 12:15-1:15. For prices and information, please e-mail:

By sonousek on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 11:35 am:

Hi everybody,
i was wondering if you have any idea or good experience about a place to make a party, something outside and inside (if it rains). thanks, sonia

By Natasha on Saturday, February 4, 2012 - 10:47 pm:

For older kids: includes bowling karaoke (very reasoable, especially during the day time, prices differ slightly with location so Shibuya costs more than Ikebukuro which costs more than Otsuka, etc.)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.